what color should it be December 09, 2014 02:58PM
I bought a IH 826 last week and was wondering if anyone would know if it may have been a gold demo tractor when new. The only information I have now is the SN is 7514. As of now I haven't sanded any of the red paint to see if there is gold underneath it.

Re: what color should it be December 09, 2014 11:05PM
I believe all the Gold tractors had a Black Steering Tower, I know the 1456 did, think all of em did.

Re: what color should it be December 09, 2014 11:56PM
I believe the cast area around gauges is black, 7514 is the 14th 826 it shouldn't be a gold demo, since it is a 69 model

Re: what color should it be December 10, 2014 04:16PM
On most IH repainted gold demos you will still see gold paint under the hood, front of the fuel tank etc.

Re: what color should it be December 11, 2014 01:42AM
gonzo 1066
On most IH repainted gold demos you will still see gold paint under the hood, front of the fuel tank etc.

Check for gold paint under the 826 emblems as well. When the demos were repainted red to be sold, it usually wasn't a top notch job and emblems, etc. were masked off instead of removed. Black dash is correct too. As far as I can find out, nobody at IH kept track of which serial numbers were demos when the tractors were sent to the dealers.

Re: what color should it be December 11, 2014 03:35AM
If it is a actual Gold Demo 826 you may want to reconsider turning it into a dedicated puller. They have been bringing some big bucks from collectors, then you could buy a crappy 706 gasser and build a puller still having money to play with left over.

Re: what color should it be December 11, 2014 02:40PM
I am not looking to build a puller with the tractor. I am looking to restore the tractor and was just wondering with that early of a SN if it would have been a gold demo tractor

Re: what color should it be December 12, 2014 01:28AM
If its not a 1970 model year tractor its not a gold demo like feral farmall said above.

Re: what color should it be December 12, 2014 01:31AM
I thought the demos were the first ones built why would the ones built the second year of production be the demos. I am not saying your wrong I just don't know. Thanks for the information.

Re: what color should it be December 14, 2014 05:07PM
I did see that the gold demos were not built till mid year of in 1970no wonder the company had to sell out

Re: what color should it be December 14, 2014 09:30PM
The company took different models of tractors on the assembly line and painted them gold and shipped them out to dealers. The idea was to increase sales, so the dealers would take the tractors out to possible customers, and let them use it for a week or so, then go get it and take it another farmer and just continue the cycle. Some demos were sold still painted gold and the owner would paint them. Others were painted at the dealer and sold. The paint jobs were not a complete cover up, there was still gold paint under the hood, and some had the golden demonstrator lettering on the tank just painted over. You could still see the lettering under the paint. This was all done as a sales promotion, not as a special model, so serial numbers were random, and not recorded.

Re: what color should it be December 15, 2014 03:17AM
So in theory as long as it's the right year anyone could make a demonstrator?

Re: what color should it be December 15, 2014 04:46AM
i bought a 826 from a guy north of siouxfalls s.d. sr.no. 2510132u011951 has black steering tower, tilt wheel,gold paint under hood ,air cleaner, didnt know it was a demo. until putting atop radeator hose on it,gave $3750 for it with a loader i didnt know what i bought he didnt know what he was selling, got lucky

Re: what color should it be December 15, 2014 12:22PM
what's your offer Clark it can be any color you want if the money is high enough

Re: what color should it be December 15, 2014 02:23PM
Looks like my link didn't get posted for some reason. Trying again.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: what color should it be December 15, 2014 05:49AM
Thought this was interesting. The golden demonstrators start selling at around 8:00.

Re: what color should it be December 16, 2014 12:10AM
i'm a deere guy but theyre pretty for sure. the 1st tractor brought ok money. the last 2 i think were on the weak side for a big auction. couldnt restore them like they were for those prices!

Re: what color should it be December 16, 2014 12:43AM
I thought the same thing. For all the work they had done to make them look so good I am sure they were dissapointed

Re: what color should it be December 28, 2014 02:23PM
Here is an unrestored 1456 gold demo I found. The pics show what you need to look for. It has to be a 1970, it has to have a black steering console. And of course gold paint some place on it. Happy hunting!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2014 02:26PM by Dillons Diesel.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,707, Posts: 229,811, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,082, Posts: 225,956.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro