lifters December 10, 2014 09:23AM
Do 8.1 jdsb have lifter breakage problems like 466 jdsb. Or is it just 466. 1000+ hp

Re: lifters December 13, 2014 01:57AM
I am starting a 8.1 build and wondered same thing any input appreciated .

Re: lifters December 14, 2014 12:13AM
anybody,no one has broken any sbjd lifters?

Re: lifters December 14, 2014 01:51AM
I didn't know sbjd 466 had a lifter breakage problem.

Re: lifters December 14, 2014 05:39AM
I didn't either until I started breaking them,then talked to Vogel and he has seen a lot of them broke.

Re: lifters December 14, 2014 11:31AM
The lifters guys are talking about is the stock flat tappet or mushroom lifters. It is rare that there is any trouble in stock applications, but when you boost the engine 4 or 5 times over stock and run over the normal governed RPM, the stock valve springs will not keep the lifter on the lobe of the cam. This is why most pullers invest in the machine work to install roller lifters, and then install rollers and good valve springs. This is strictly an issue with valve spring pressure, not an issue with the JD lifter. Vogel has made lifters out of tool steel, and pullers have also broke those also, and of course, wipe out the cam at the same time. You can increase spring pressure with the flat tappet, but you will drastically shorten the life of the cam and face of the lifter. That is not a reliable answer. The only answer is to install the rollers and good valve springs that can handle the boost and RPM. I do not know what kind of boost you make, but it is easy to make 75 pounds with a small turbo--the valve spring has to be able to keep the lifter on the cam as the intake valve tries to close against the boost pressure.

Re: lifters December 14, 2014 11:51AM
run 170 closed pressure and about 400 open,never had a problem until I went to big valve head.just wondered if jdsb metric engines have same problem at same setup.Use very good PAC valve springs.

Re: lifters December 14, 2014 03:39AM
I seen a 466 block break when the pump stuck. The lifter was pushed out the side of the block.

Re: lifters December 19, 2014 05:48AM
The 6466, 6076, and 6081 tappets are almost all the same thing. There is a slight height diffrence going from small cam 466 to 6076 but otherwise the tappets are the same. I have made many sets of tool steel heat treated tappets and have had no wear issues or breakage and have run them both on billet 8620 cams and cast reground cams with no problems going back 10 years now. If you are interested in some send me a pm.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,675, Posts: 229,777, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason