john deere wet clutch December 26, 2014 01:14PM
I got a 5 disc clutch that was slipping. Got it tore down an disc are worn on one side an not the other or more noticeable on one side. One disc is completely worn out on one side. Had trouble all year getting in gear while running. It is set up with welded hub an valve body modified. Any ideas?

Re: john deere wet clutch December 27, 2014 12:31AM
are you using the special john deere tool to adjust clutch? Is one side off the plate machined more agressive than the other? another issue i found with mine if your using a 4430 there is a serial number split on adjusting them. check the casting number on the clutch operating housing to make sure if you have an early or late set up.if the casting #'s are R50301 or R62742 its a serial split 47851 and below. on the tool you would need JDE-78-4 & JDE-78-10 on the traction ring and JDE-78-3 & JDE-78-12 on the pto ring. casting number R62744 & R61397 are serial 47852 and above. tool would use JDE-78-4 on the traction ring, JDE-78-3 & JDE-78-12 on the pto ring. i had a 6 disk perma and every time i freshened the clutch up i always had issues getting the tractor in gear. i always had to bypass the neutral saftey switch and start it in gear. after about 3 passes then it would go into gear decent. those permas drag so bad. you can thank the oil drag for that.

Re: john deere wet clutch December 28, 2014 12:17PM
Yes it was set up with a jd tool I checked my casting numbers an mine was R 50270 an tractor serial was 016527 which was on a 4230.

Re: john deere wet clutch December 28, 2014 04:27PM
You have to get a clutch housing off a late model 4020 or 4320. Those seem to work the best. Get new flywheel, clutch and transmission shaft. Will have to change return oil dump to top of tran cover. I am taking for granted, you have no 2 speed. We went though all the crap you are now. If we would have changed when other people told us to, we would have saved A LOT of money and time. The dry clutch simplified everything. Have ran it for 2 years without ANY trouble. 900+ HP. Atlas tractor can fix you right up.

Re: john deere wet clutch December 29, 2014 01:59PM
I still have 2 speed in it

Re: john deere wet clutch December 29, 2014 01:53PM
I have a complete wet clutch available, Was in a 700hp 4430. Worked great for this tractor, had no issues. Going to a Crower.

Re: john deere wet clutch June 10, 2018 02:43PM
Has any converted a wet clutch 4440 to a dry clutch and been able to keep and use the two speed?

Re: john deere wet clutch December 27, 2014 05:25AM
Been all though this. Put in dry clutch and your troubles will be over.

Re: john deere wet clutch December 28, 2014 12:19PM
What all does it consist of to do it

Re: john deere wet clutch December 29, 2014 01:50PM
Do you still have the pto shaff in tractor. I have seen several that leave pto in take the cutch and pto level weld together so that when clutch is fully depressed applies the pto brake and it stops the clutch so tractor can be shifted

Re: john deere wet clutch December 29, 2014 02:01PM
Naw pto is all gutted

Re: john deere wet clutch December 29, 2014 09:29PM
Crower springer the way to go comes with new fly wheel fully adjustable for horse power load.Put a double disc springer in last winter pulled all season with no problems.New billet input shaft pto deleted,if you go less than 3 disc's you will need to make a throw out bearing bushing.Call Darren Rursch he will set you up not cheap 4200.00 for a 2 disc with new input shaft.

Re: john deere wet clutch December 30, 2014 04:21PM
Jersey JD did u swap out the clutch housing with that set up

Re: john deere wet clutch December 30, 2014 10:20PM
Every thing new fly wheel ,clutch,input shaft,pilot bearing,input shaft bearing and all new seals.you will have to split tractor at trans also to change input shaft out.Factory fly wheel and clutch housing are gone you will need to know how many bolts are connecting fly wheel to crank shaft and diameter of those bolts before ordering new set up.

Re: john deere wet clutch December 29, 2014 08:11AM
Yanmar 55 is correct but if you decide to stay with the wet clutch i have several disc and plates that i would let go very cheap.. 7062026910

Re: john deere wet clutch December 30, 2014 03:07AM
I didn't start having problems with mine till I got up around 1000 hp. Half way through a seaon I had to replace discs on a 5 disc setup, never had trouble with the 2 speed. Nail in the coffin came when the high range pinion let loose wiping out the rest of the trans. Never messed with the wet clutch after that, ended up going to a 3 speed with a 4 disc crower springer, solved all the problems all at once and created a few other challanges that were easily overcome.

Re: john deere wet clutch December 31, 2014 01:25PM
It will always be cheaper in the long run to build the tractor from the back forward. Most people do it the other way. Save yourself money, time, and grief and put in a Crower.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,756, Posts: 229,910, Members: 3,335.
This forum: Topics: 37,092, Posts: 226,010.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM