chrome wheels January 10, 2015 01:11PM
Anyone ever have their steel wheels chromed? With the price of aluminum wheels could a good steel wheel be chromed for less money? Just curious

Re: chrome wheels January 11, 2015 03:18AM
Don't chrome. Just buy aluminum. Chrome was tried in the 80's and it didn't last.

Re: chrome wheels January 11, 2015 04:11AM
Is it possible that better methods may have been developed in the last 30 years?? Just my humble opinion.

Re: chrome wheels January 11, 2015 04:51AM
Chrome plating has come a long way. I don't see why it wouldn't last on a public tractor. Out in the elements with wear and tear it can have issues but as long as it's a quality job to begin with it usually lasts quite awhile.

They are chrome plating aluminum and plastic all the time now which was never done 30 years ago. The chrome plated aluminum wheels were troublesome though. Many would leak air.

Chrome has a much deeper golden color than aluminum. With a lot of polishing and the right compounds you can give aluminum the same look.

There are also a lot of Chrome paints that are pretty realistic now.

Re: chrome wheels January 11, 2015 05:46AM
a good chrome job will hold up. I don't know how much cheaper it will be, but probably will be a little bit. the advantages to aluminum are lighter (less rotating weight, helps more than just appearances) and no rust. The advantage to chrome is you don't have to polish it. just wipe it off. polishing aluminum is a dirty, not fun job. if you keep the chrome clean and out of the elements you'll never have a problem with it.

Re: chrome wheels January 11, 2015 09:23AM
Polished stainless is the way to go providing heat discoloration isn't a concern. Cost is an issue there though as is application. Stainless isn't the best for many things and I doubt it would be a better choice for a wheel. Much much more expensive and heavy.

Re: chrome wheels January 11, 2015 05:46AM
I have had Plating done and Polished Stainless lasts forever and is cheaper.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,717, Posts: 229,825, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,961.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro