garrett gt42 January 23, 2015 04:54AM
Looking for a billet intake wheel was wondering if anyone makes one for a journal bearing gt42. Was told nobody makes one thx for any input.

Re: garrett gt42 January 23, 2015 06:41AM
We have one. $593.00 816-324-6680

Re: garrett gt42 January 23, 2015 08:33AM
HOLY CRAP $593!!!!!

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 02:02AM
I am not trying to bash or make fun but take a minute and think about this. The average machine shop has to make at least $60 an hour to stay in business. That is an average one, manual machines, competent/talented employees, etc,. A shop with 4 and 5 axis CNC, which is absolutely necessary to run that wheel has to make more. Probably around $100 per hour. This equipment and the people it takes to run it is expensive.

The cost of the aluminum alloy for that wheel is going to cost more than $150 dollars or more. If they are a quality shop they are using x-rayed material so that when that wheel hits sub sonic speeds in that turbo it doesn't explode on the first pass.

Also the shop either had to invest the time to measure and design that wheel or pay someone else to engineer it. I am certain that was a minimum a $2000 dollars no matter if they used their time or hired it done.

Run time on that part is going to be 2 plus hours "ish." And it will have to be balanced by a special balancer that not everyone has.

So $150 material, $200 dollars labor, $100 (just a guess) for balancing, and recover the engineering time invested (over the life of the part, which is short because a better one always comes out next summer) and cover the up front cost and store that part and hope that some one buys it.

So let's call it $500 cost to make that part and they are selling it for $600. That is a 20% profit for that risk. That is actually a low profit % in any business. A car dealer or a ag dealer would not even unlock their doors in the morning for that and hardly anyone could not stay in business on 20% profit because now they are taxed on that 20% on top of it all.

These shops could be making medical parts or prosthetics or aerospace parts. Which by the way pays a lot better and you don't listen to customer complaints about price. If you are too high, you don't get the job end of story.

A lot of the manufacturers in our sport are average business people just trying to make a living. There are a few elite that have, some would say taken advantage of customers. But as I stated the elite.

The moral of the story not all of these people are trying to flees you. They are trying to make a living and probably can't afford to buy the parts they are making.

If we all want to be mad at the cost of pulling, be mad at the first SOB who spent $100k to win $500. They are the people who devalued the dollar not the guy making your parts.

Have a good weekend.

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 02:10AM
Well said Carl

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 02:45AM
Excellent explanation and breakdown of costing! I couldn't agree more!

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 04:11AM
I'm not a smart man. I thought 593 was a bargain.

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 05:51AM
Oh yeah I feel bad for the business, I never thought about it that way. I just thought that it was expensive because they can be bought for around $350 for a box of 10 from China and that's probably what they are doing. I seriously doubt they are turning these out on a 5 axis machine their self. That is why tractor pulling is so expensive, because of the mark up that people throw on stuff that they have very little time and money into, but people are too foolish to look into it their self. There are plenty of examples of it, this isn't the only case.

And if you really think they are buying such x-ray quality material, drawing, programming and then machining it on a 5 axis cnc in their shop and then selling it and barely making a profit and feel oh so bad for them, then I have lots of stuff I want to sell you, just get out the old credit card.

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 06:06AM
Oh Look I'm Right, Man those things are expensive to "manufacture and then sell" it's a lot more difficult to get them and then make $550 profit than I thought.

[www.ebay.com]

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 07:12AM
Take it to the track and give it a whirl! Should land u a solid last place!

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 07:52AM
I've got some bad news about your car/truck... it's not going to make it to the store or work the next time you drive it. The dang thing is just full of Chinese parts and is doomed to fail from the start.

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 07:53AM
I almost forgot about your TV, Washer, Dryer , Microwave, Refrigerator, etc, as well. All those things aren't going to work, because they are full of Chinese parts.

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 12:52PM
I'm sure Harts or other high end machine shops are buying billet wheels from china! Are you kidding me? I have never been in Harts shop but do know they have a 5 axis machine. Look on you tube they have a video of making a billet wheel. Hell if its that easy, and your so smart why don't you build turbos and under cut them. You will get rich and famous!!

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 02:44PM
It is very easy to tell if it's billet or cast that has been made to look like billet. Just send it out and have it tested. I think we would all be suprised what we find out.

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 08:08AM
Somebody gotta be last might as well be u Smoking

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 01:31PM
Mr WOW you have NO CLUE!!! If you are so smart and think it's so easy get out a drimmel tool and die grinder...you should be able to whipping one yourself!!!

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 01:48PM
$350 for 10 custom made billet wheels ?

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 03:00PM
If you are going to post about a subject make sure you know what you are talking about and quit wasting everyone's time.

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 04:37PM
click the ebay link, those ones are only $0.99.

Search alibaba

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 10:57PM
You got me and everyone else! Why didn't I think of shopping on eBay? I would have never thought of buying something on ebay.

Say, did you buy that ebay wheel and run it on your vehicle? I would like to see the videos of your vehicle running that fine ebay piece. When it makes more than 6 passes without fail, I will eat my crow (probably take a lot of salt and ketchup). As I am confident that the piece that we are all looking at is of the highest quality and will be in service for many seasons to come.

Go ahead and put that .99 cent monkey fighter in your turbo and when it f'n cones apart and fills your. 99 cent motor with that cheap crap you will have the last laugh on me and everyone else.

Now you can go back to your regular day at NASA and have your laugh at our expense.

I say good day to you.

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 11:19PM
C downs please send your "billet" wheel out and have it tested at a metal testing facility to see if it is cast aluminum or billet. I don't want you to hurt your Walmart engine when it comes apart. There is no need to bash anyone on here, I have had a "billet" blow apart. "Billet" will not blow apart. I sent it out and had it checked it was a cast aluminum wheel. I did not come on here and say anything bad about anyone. And I did not say who it was purchased from. Thank you and good day

Re: garrett gt42 January 24, 2015 11:23PM
You know I could and have been wrong before but in this case I'm pretty sure you normally are going to get what you pay for if you deal with a reputable outfit. I don't think I even want to run that wheel in my bone stock farm tractor or truck unless it just doesn't matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 11:26PM by farmall puller.

Re: garrett gt42 January 25, 2015 03:28AM
All you farmers turned machinist crack me up. Ever since the grain market boom, everyone has become an overnight machinist buying cnc equipment and become an expert in the field making pulling parts. When you make larger production runs you can make them a lot cheaper since the tooling is already set up and the program is set to run on the 5 axis versus only making 10 at a time. But if you can get the money when the pulling market has more money than sense then good for the seller! Trust me, they know it to.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,785, Posts: 229,971, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,049.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009