Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 27, 2015 01:55PM
Thinking about building a semi brush puller... just wondering what would be a good motor to start with? v12 detroit? v8 cat? 1693 cat? thanks!

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 27, 2015 02:05PM
Electronic cat.

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 27, 2015 02:23PM
KTA600 Cummins!
Find out who does Mike Larribies engine work.

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 27, 2015 02:30PM
Talk to Tom Linsey he has the Built for Business Cabover truck

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 28, 2015 01:35AM
I guess I'm the only one that read brush pulling.

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 28, 2015 04:32AM
I read it too. Just saying he knows his stuff.

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 28, 2015 04:54AM
I don't disagree with that, just most people/shops with that information don't talk about it unless you spend money with them.

To the OP, the 1693 has limited capabilities due to the fueling and parts availability is almost non existent, the 3408 unless you plan on having fly lone or Columbus figure up a Bosch pump and nozzle combo also has limited fueling to around 7-800hp, then there is the crank issue. The detroit is only good for turning diesel fuel into noise.

Are you talking a hot street class or what?

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 28, 2015 05:12AM
Maybe a 3406...probably the 3406e?

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 29, 2015 01:00AM
I'm really confused now..lol.. my 2005 pete that I pull my grain wagon with has a 425hp 2 turbo cat in it.. is this the "electronic cat"? the guys we will be pulling against all are working trucks and they swap the hitch out between the trucks.. one is even a 3 axle heavy hauler.. but most have the fuel turned up.. you can tell a stock truck from one that has been worked on.. thanks!

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 29, 2015 01:53AM
What area are you going to be pulling in?

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 28, 2015 05:51AM
Even if your pulling a brush type truck, i would use a KT 1100 cummins. [ No replacement for Displacement ] Why waste your money on a bunch of parts only to get beat by a almost stock Cummins. K is the way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Call Mike Laribee, he has two of them he runs and he will give you an honest opinion of what to run.

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 28, 2015 06:34AM
The kt1150 is a marine engine...I don't know of many brush/hot street semis with that type of engine. Both of Laribee's trucks are prostock semis.

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 28, 2015 06:46AM
Just to elaborate on my last post...the kta1150 that they run was not only a marine but also industrial and limited amount in over the road trucks. SmokinCAT knows what he is talking about and is probably well geared to this post.

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 28, 2015 09:33AM
Any one watched the PA posse lately, the K series used too dominate that hot street class but now it's the electronic cats, even old man hairhogger dropped the K series and switched to an electronic cat.

Cat sells C15s at 855hp, those numbers are a walk in the park.

His location will be the tell tale of what he needs for power. In PA I'd say your talking 1500hp+ without trouble, I don't think it takes that much to compete in the other states in the hot street class.

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 28, 2015 07:12AM
3406E or c-15 marine cam and ECM tuning which I can do also a lot of other people. I run over the road with a C-15 dynoed at 840 hp 2250 torque and it is capable of a lot more. 573 789 0161

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 28, 2015 07:36AM
THE 6nz C-15 in my hauler will make 800. I don't run it that high though.

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 28, 2015 07:56AM
KT Cummins has been used in quite a few heavy haul trucks over the years, as well ae in a couple models of Steigers and Versatiles. Yes, it is used in lots of marine applications, but certainly not only there.

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? March 17, 2017 06:04PM
What can be done tune wise on a mxs

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 28, 2015 10:30AM
I may know where there is a brush setup peterbuilt with a Cummins in it for sale in mn.

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 28, 2015 02:24PM
Cat are easy to get power. If you are wanting one to last buy a mxs post your number i can help you get to 2000hp or what ever you are wanting. Mxs will out last the all so popular 6NZ when done right. We pull 6NZ's out and replace them with single charger mxs for many reasons but the main is heavier rods & steel pistons unlike a 6nz that has two piece piston that will break the skirt when power gets high enough we have two window blocks to prove this. I can also help with modified program to achive timing advance an turque limiters removed. Not just a c16 or c18 flash and full load settings and full test setting modified. Or if you just have a mxs hauler that is a dog they can be helped.

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 28, 2015 02:54PM
Are we supposed to take your word on that, I notice no mention of a name of any sorts so anyone can do some fact checking.

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 29, 2015 01:00AM
CatsAre Easy is right ACERT engine has heavier bottom end but more junk up top and cost a lot more to maintain

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? September 28, 2015 01:35PM
Cat are easy!
Cat are easy to get power. If you are wanting one to last buy a mxs post your number i can help you get to 2000hp or what ever you are wanting. Mxs will out last the all so popular 6NZ when done right. We pull 6NZ's out and replace them with single charger mxs for many reasons but the main is heavier rods & steel pistons unlike a 6nz that has two piece piston that will break the skirt when power gets high enough we have two window blocks to prove this. I can also help with modified program to achive timing advance an turque limiters removed. Not just a c16 or c18 flash and full load settings and full test setting modified. Or if you just have a mxs hauler that is a dog they can be helped.

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 29, 2015 08:42AM
the cat will do what ever you want it to.the k cummins will work as well,however the decision comes down to availiblity. this is where the cat will make your decision easy

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 30, 2015 01:57AM
My Take, you're absolutely correct with the statement "There's no replacement for displacement," until now. The replacement is an electronic Cat. The KTA is an old dinasaur! There are many examples where a yellow engine will out perform a KTA, at all levels of pulling. Full Pull Productions PA Posse class and thier Big Rig class. Both classes are dominated by electronic Cats and Joe Guilletto's mechanical Cat (with Bosch assessories of course). Both classes have a good showing of KTs and V8 Macks. Any one of the Electronic Cats would be a good base for a pulling engine, all the way from the 3406E to the C15, C16 and C15 ACERT. Not saying a KT can't be competitive still, but there is a competitor for it now.

To the OP, if you're not planning on going big time, build what you want. Build to your budget. I agree that the engines you listed aren't much for performance, but they can be built to put on a show if that's what you're after. But once you're bit by the bug, you'll want more!

Good Luck.

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 30, 2015 07:52AM
how much hp and torque can you get from a stock engine with just a bully dog or boost tuner? thanks!

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? January 30, 2015 08:39AM
Stock Cat 1LW up 600 to 650 with Turbo and Manifold 650+. Most of your plug in tuner's range around 15% power increase. A custom tune can be made If you are wanting it just for a pulling setup. The older 5EK and 6TS can be done also if the crank has been updated or checked for PN#. (Some had bad cranks and would break) I myself would also rather do a MXS The stuff on top they talked about in a earlier post is meaningless if you are going to be pulling with it the VVA system could be deleted and no need to be there.

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? September 30, 2015 02:54PM
An E6 4v or E7 mechanical Mack will knock on the door of 1000HP pretty cheaply if you find one with a Robert Bosch pump.

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? March 18, 2017 01:50AM
if its a working truck you're going to pull on the weekends, get a Pittsburgh power box

Re: Building a semi puller.. which motor? March 19, 2017 11:43AM
If you are interested I have 3 sets of 46# axels and one set of 65# axels
Mike
651-983-7879 call and/or text

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,723, Posts: 229,851, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,976.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro