The original BadCat January 28, 2015 02:22PM
The original Bad Cat modified single engine out of Indiana used a ford rear end ,I'm thinking a 4000 , if I remember correctly the rear end didn't have a transmission housing on it like a John Deere skidder rear was built it had separate brakes but no trans. Is my memory correct , if it is what did ford use this in? Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance!!! Stan

Re: The original BadCat January 29, 2015 02:43AM
Larry Jones's "X-Rated Bad Cat" used a 5000 Ford differential. You're correct that he didn't use the transmission, but ran the driveline directly into the differential pinion. You might want to double check, but if memory serves me right, the pinion shaft may turn in the opposite rotation of most pinions. I faintly remember that right after they built the tractor they went to the first pull in I think Denver. Backed up to the sled, tightened the chain and when Larry leaned into the throttle it grenade the Lenco reverser. Again, if I haven't forgotten everything, they found that the pinion turned the opposite rotation and that when moving forward, they actually had the reverser engaged. I believe they flipped the differential over (180 degrees) so the input rotation was correct. I'm sure there's some Ford people on this site that know for sure, and if I'm wrong they'll correct me. I thought I'd add an a couple of old photos for everyone's pleasure.

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 04:11AM by One Sick Puppy.

Re: The original BadCat June 01, 2017 10:18PM
late 70s Eustis Florida

photo sharing free

Re: The original BadCat January 29, 2015 03:28PM
The last econo mod we built was a 4600 ford,it is the same as the 4000. The first two years we used the 8 speed Tran, when it broke we took it out and used a transfer case out of a truck. We should have gone with a Pro Fab 4 speed. The rear is very light and seemed to be plenty strong. The brakes are mechanical as opposed to the hydrolic brakes on the 5000 and worked pretty good. It was pretty easy to make the rearend work for a pulling tractor. Some of the light super pullers have used them and should have some good input as to how they hold up. Wilheite's (sp) (Blue Blazes) should be able to answer a lot of questions about them as I'm pretty sure they used 4000 rearends for a long time.

S'no Farmer

Re: The original BadCat January 30, 2015 01:39AM
Todd,
First off, how have you and Tarry been doing? How's business going? I hope all is well with both of you. I know that when I used a Ford 6000 in my modified back in the early to mid 80's, we run it directly into the differential pinion with no problems. Are the 4600 & older 4000's able to do this, or do you they have a reverse rotation? I'm just satisfying my own curiosity. I think we're going to try and follow the 6,000 unlimited mods this coming summer, so maybe we'll all get the chance to visit at some point. Hopefully they'll be a schedule out before to long so we can make plans on attending.

Take care,
Charlie

Re: The original BadCat January 30, 2015 02:40AM
Charlie,
We are doing great and business is good,thanks for asking. We didn't have to turn over the rearend on our 4600 and it was pretty easy to go direct to the pinion when we did away with the transmission. I made a mistake on my last post referring to a 5000 as to having hydrolic brakes, I was thinking of the 6000 when I mentioned that. We used some 6000 axles to build drives for our rope tows on the ski hill. I built them about15 years ago, they run all day all winterr and are still going strong.

S'no Farmer

Re: The original BadCat January 30, 2015 10:24AM
I saw the Bad Cat up close at a Plainville Ind pull . The picture behind the seat- had to see it to believe it! Always a tough competitor.

Re: The original BadCat January 30, 2015 03:30PM
Thanks Charlie for the pictures I saw it run at evansville years ago and saw it parked at the Jolliff farm I guess late 70s .I had forgot all the weights for the different classes it must have ran . With that much weight that rear end must be fairly strong I'm guessing they ran the 5,7, and maybe 9? The chevy probably at 1400 ish hp .Im trying to figure a tractor for a friend if ky comes up with this new 6000 lb 3000 rpm class .was thing a 4000 rear with a 474 gen motor and 8000 sheet metal . Not for sure never built a tractor that smokes before !!! Long live modifieds!!!!!!

Re: The original BadCat January 31, 2015 12:12PM
Ford backhoes has the same rear end as the tractors but without the trans and are already made to hook up to a drive shaft cat used the ford rears in there backhoes to

Re: The original BadCat February 02, 2015 02:48AM
You're welcome Stan. I don't know everything about pulling, but I do know quite a bit about some of the old modifieds in west central and southwestern Indiana, also east central and southeastern Illinois. I use to go with both a modified and super stock puller to a lot of pulls and pulled some myself back in the 70's, early 80's, then again in the late 2,000's. I'm just trying to preserve some the pullers from back then and how they advanced pulling, because without them, pulling wouldn't be where it is today.

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2015 02:50AM by One Sick Puppy.

Re: The original BadCat February 02, 2015 02:59PM
I started pulling with Ill tractor pulling in 1992 in the 5800 n/a mod class then in 2000 we changed the class to Superchargers and seems that the class keeps growing I just wish we had a national class with same rules not everyone can afford to run 4 or 5 engines and I for one don't want to keep that many going all the time

Re: The original BadCat February 03, 2015 02:25AM
Stan, I couldn't agree more. We pulled with Indiana Modified Tractor Pullers Association (now Indiana Pulling League) for a little over four years. Great class, and a wonderful group of competitors. We got out for numerous reasons, but distance was becoming a problem for us. Working a job at the time with little ability for time off was causing problems (no longer have that job) was also another. And the tragic loss of our daughter and my older brother put the icing on the cake. We love pulling (my wife and I), and I know I miss it every season. The ITPA 5,800 lb. modified class as you mentioned is an excellent class too. We had toyed with the idea before we sold the tractor in pulling with ITPA as there were many pulls within a reasonable distance from home (near Terre Haute Indiana). The issue there was, we didn't have enough engine to be competitive, and we didn't want to spend the money to step up. Either the IPL or ITPA 5,800 classes are both good starter classes.

Charlie

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,780, Posts: 229,961, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,044.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009