converting a dt466 to gas January 31, 2015 03:15PM
What does it take to make a gas 466 out of a diesel?

Re: converting a dt466 to gas January 31, 2015 03:26PM
This is the general idea:
Ignition system (distributor or distributor less) and spark plugs in place of the injectors
Fuel system (carb, hilborn or EFI: depending on the rules) and manifold to match whichever setup you are running
Lowered compression (custom pistons or milled down stock pistons)
preferably a cam to make your new setup

Re: converting a dt466 to gas January 31, 2015 03:55PM
Where would you put the distributor at? Does the cam have the gear to drive that?

Re: converting a dt466 to gas January 31, 2015 11:36PM
Look at MurphyMotorSports.Has experience and knowledge.

Re: converting a dt466 to gas February 01, 2015 12:31AM
Go with Electromotive ignition. Don't need a distributer. The system uses a crank pickup and individual coil packs. Cost less also.

Re: converting a dt466 to gas February 01, 2015 04:21AM
angusfarmer
Where would you put the distributor at? Does the cam have the gear to drive that?

If you want to use a distributor, you could mount it directly in place of the injection pump (if you have access to a mill and lathe) or you can mount it to the front cover and drive it off the front of the cam gear. If you want to go distributor-less , then you just mount a trigger wheel to the crank pulley and a vr sensor off to the side to read the teeth, add a control module and a set of wasted spark coils and your set. You can buy a kit to do this or put one together yourself for really cheap.

Re: converting a dt466 to gas February 01, 2015 04:30AM
Actually, the cheapest route for ignition is probably mounting a GM 6 cylinder HEI distributor to the engine. These can be had for cheap and are great for most setups.

Re: converting a dt466 to gas February 01, 2015 05:05AM
How much horse power would a 466 gas make?

Re: converting a dt466 to gas February 01, 2015 05:40AM
It depends on the rules you have to follow and if you can run forced induction or you have to run na. If you can't run alcohol and you are limited to RPMs for an antique class (in a 560/460 2600rpms) then you are probably looking at around 200-225 flywheel hp if it is set up right. Some people may claim more and some may claim less, but that is a rough estimate with a good cam, 10.5:1 compression at 2600rpms.

Re: converting a dt466 to gas February 01, 2015 06:42AM
I have had the msd 8al with a distributer and now I have the electromotive with no distributer and like it best and its cheaper

Re: converting a dt466 to gas February 17, 2015 01:59PM
Lewis or Pullmx, where can I get some info on the electromotive ? Have tride their # and no one there. Running a MSD 7al now, but this sounds better. MACK

Re: converting a dt466 to gas February 18, 2015 11:54AM
If you have already got a distributer set up I wouldn't change it but if your starting from scratch I would go with the electromotive. I set up 3 cummins eng with a distributer this ones on a ih and was a lot easier and cheaper the only thing I don't like is it back fires sometimes real bad because it fires 2 cylinders at the same time

Re: converting a dt466 to gas February 19, 2015 11:25AM
It's a wasted spark set up, it fires opposing cylinders at the same time due to the design of the controller. It fires one on compression stroke and the other on exhaust at the same time. It is designed this way to make the system cheaper to build (also to limit dwell time without a more sophisticated controller) and is how a lot of vehicles are (ones that don't have individual coil on plugs). If you are handy and know where to source parts, you can build your own setup for really cheap.

Re: converting a dt466 to gas February 18, 2015 11:24PM
Hey Angusfarmer, i have a NEW set of J&E 4 7/8" pistons that have a custom bowl in them to run with a cast head with out combustion chamber. I was going to use them in a gas or alcohol engine i was building. They are for sale and @ a great price. These pistons would work in any brand engine. The piston was purchased from Crutchfield Machine.

Re: converting a dt466 to gas February 17, 2015 09:52PM
You can go to there website and check out. [www.electromotive-inc.com]. If interested let me know as I do have a used one that I had took off of a tractor.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009