Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 01:59AM
Looking to have a local machine shop make me a st of hardened pins. I am wanting to know what needle bearings are used and how many per spider gear. Can I just go with a solid hardened pin and bore the gear out to accept a caged style bearing?

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 02:16AM
Are you a two spider or four spider rearend?

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 03:53AM
I have a 4 going in

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 05:00AM
In my opinion, I would leave it be. The pins are already a hardened pin and if you turn either the pin or gear to accept bearings you are only giving up strength. They are built quite a bit different than an IH rear. I'm on my third season of mid to upper 20 mph passes and my tractor drives straight as an arrow.

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 06:45AM
1955 rear housing with needled dif. 1750 axle housings, 4th, 6th and reverse gears in trans. top section sped up so 4th is faster than 6th all other gears replaced with bushing stock for strength. 50 searies lube pump. scs gear box between clutch and transmission speeds up tranny however much I want. aprox 30 percent. 3208 cat with a 4.1 charger.

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 05:51AM
your straight runs are numbered. been there. I use to think the same thing until part way through a season it went every where but straight. I now go perfectly straight with over 2000 horse on a 1955 rear end.

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 05:56AM
Cat puller do you care to share with us what your setup is. I would love to learn more.

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 06:20AM
i started the thread on the axles and wanted to chime in here with another question, been awhile since ive been in the rearend of an oliver, if i remember correctly there are holes in the casting that allow the rearend and transmission to share the same oil and i think oil would work through the pinion bearing as well, i would like to block this off, making a plate over the holes would be simple enough but any ideas to keep oil from coming through bearing. Would there be a way to put a seal in. I think i could figure something out but just don't have one tore apart to look at right now

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 06:25AM
One other thing to keep in mind is the pump and pickup tube on the rearend side of the housing that pressure lubes the trans shafts.

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 07:25AM
Just call mets machine. Takes the guess work out of it as they have done some. Including mine

The oliver set up may be different but same principle with the needles. I'd definitely do it for much of a puller over farm stock.

Pullinv8 why do you not want to use the same oil? Like oliver 12v said you are gonna run into issues with pressure lubing at that point.

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 07:45AM
to my knowledge they share the same oil, im wanting to contain the oil in the differential side

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 11:15AM
Correct, so what are you plans for the transmission fluid and then the pressure lube system? Separate pump for pressure lubing the transmission? Just curious why you want to contain the rear.

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 11:50AM
Debating if I want to go thru the mix n match of stock gears again to get ratios I want. Was thinking bout machining off the cast around the tranny to make room for a profab but I guess since the Oliver is already twin countershaft would be easier to just have gears made

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 12:16PM
If you have new shafts made and eliminate the 1st and 3rd gear set that is machined as part of the shaft. You can stick gear sets out of random oliver/white tractors in there and give yourself more options than the profab ever will.

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 01:25PM
yes ive already done this on the 2255 rearend except for the 1st n 3rd locations

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 02:32PM
Sorry, Oliver's are not twin countershaft.

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 03:07PM
Input, counter, and pinion shaft in an oliver/white trans.

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 01, 2015 10:23PM
Oliver12v would be right

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 02, 2015 12:43AM
No factory tractor transmission has a twin countershaft arrangement, that I am aware of. A fuller truck transmission and all of its clones are twin countershaft. The number of shafts in the transmission has nothing to do with it being twin countershaft. A twin countershaft arrangement has all four shafts in a single plane. The counter shafts have identical gears. So the input is pulling on two gears at the same time. Then transferred to the output the same way. It basically doubles the strength by pulling on two gears at once. It also takes all the flex out of the input and output shafts.

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 02, 2015 02:21AM
Excuse my terminology mr countershaft. Thank you for session of countershafts 101

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 02, 2015 04:35AM
Firephight, has your shop ever done an oliver set up before? There are some variables here. That's why I say call up mets, see If they will make your pins and send a set of needles to go with them. That way there is no guess work or possible screw ups.

But if you wanna don't your way google needle bearing tractor rear. There are several posts on Red Power forum by a guy name Keith Backer, in one of his posts he has included the part number for a bag of needles that HE uses. I'm sure there are many variables on size of needle people use.

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 02, 2015 02:19AM
Ok so any part numbers for the needles? Thanks for the high jack!!!

Re: Needling an Oliver rear February 02, 2015 04:49AM
I don't have a part number but the needles kennys pulling parts uses on an IH should work, I have some in the shop, I'll try to get some measurements on them.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,758, Posts: 229,915, Members: 3,336.
This forum: Topics: 37,093, Posts: 226,014.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM