why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 17, 2015 08:27AM
I watched My Last Excuse hook in the finals and I'm sure I saw the flagman at the starting line throw up the red flag when he saw all the diesel fuel coming out but when the hook was over there was no DQ. I have never seen that much fluid come out for so long without a DQ, and when it's diesel fuel that makes even less sense.

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 17, 2015 10:06AM
Yes he was red flagged by the 75' flagman for diesel spraying onto the ground. He kept going and made a great pull. The end of track and announcers didnt know. Then the end flag man and 75' guy talked and it looked like they were going to stop the other tractor from getting pulled out and just decided to go with it.

I have no idea what was actually said, this was just my impression of the how it looked as it went down from the upper deck about 200 ft.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 18, 2015 11:31AM
Wondered the same thing, its truely unfortunate that the Slama's were bumped to fourth place after the incident from My Last Excuse tractor, its a shame!

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 18, 2015 01:30PM
Why is it a shame he pulled it further end of story

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 18, 2015 02:27PM
Yes he was able to pull the sled just a bit further is true. He also seemed to ignore the track official red flagging him as the official was inching out and trying to get his attention off the line for fuel pouring out on the track. He either choose to ignore the official or did not see him 75 foot ahead of him. The end of the track official was not watching the first official waving the red flag and continued to display the green flag. He continued past the first official still trying to get his attention to stop. He continued down the track spewing fuel on the track and under the sled. In the end as discribed above the two track officials talked at the end of the track then the end official explained it to a track worker at the end of track by the tractor stage area. By that time the tractors had been swapped out and track scraped, the next tractor was ready to go at the start line. Seemed it was more the fact they hoped no one saw the red flag and they did not want to hold up the show. Many people in the stands noticed the event and could not understand why it was allowed. Many organizations have headsets that allow the track officials to communicate between themselves during pulls and during these incidents. From track side it surely looked like the lack of communication on the track and driver not stopping for the red flag possibility changed the final order of pullers.

we have a survey February 18, 2015 04:09PM
at the top of this message board.

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 18, 2015 03:11PM
If you have ever pulled it is very hard to see the flag man unless he makes himself visible by stepping out a bit. Now as for a high HP SF Winking it seems like he could have seen anything especially in the first 75 considering the tires are spinning about 15 mph.

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 18, 2015 11:25PM
I don't know how Louisville handle these siturations but in our association the start flagman has that pass until the pulling unit goes passed them and if the start flagman red flags the pass then that pull HAS ENDED and the puller gets another attempt if he has one coming and a DQ if he doesn't stop. I would think he should have been DQ'ed for not stopping because it is the pullers responsibility to pay some attention to the Flagman.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 09:44AM by farmall puller.

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 19, 2015 01:42AM
Does anyone have a video from his pass? From what I remember of the pass the flag man turned and walked toward the sidelines and turned around to look at the tractor as it went by, then lifted the red flag when the tractor was along side of him. From my point of view it looked as the driver was probably already concentrating on the flag man at the end of the track. I would like to see it again as I don't remember if the flag came out in time. In my opinion the flag men don't pay very much attention to anything at nfms, just seems like they don't want to be there.

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 19, 2015 01:50AM
even if the driver missed the first flagman where was the finish line flagman, there was so much fuel coming out he should have flagged him.and what does the survey have to do with missing a DQ. it was a great hook but rules are rules.

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 19, 2015 02:12AM
That's what I'm getting at. The flag men don't pay very close attention to the tractors let alone each other out there. Just seems like they don't want to be there.

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 19, 2015 02:42AM
was there
and what does the survey have to do with missing a DQ.

Because if this really did happen, it's another reason why the show has become a cluster and not worth the price of admission! And I could add more, but I won't.

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 19, 2015 02:20PM
video
Does anyone have a video from his pass? From what I remember of the pass the flag man turned and walked toward the sidelines and turned around to look at the tractor as it went by, then lifted the red flag when the tractor was along side of him. From my point of view it looked as the driver was probably already concentrating on the flag man at the end of the track. I would like to see it again as I don't remember if the flag came out in time. In my opinion the flag men don't pay very much attention to anything at nfms, just seems like they don't want to be there.

I don't have any videos since I spent Saturday tinkering with camera settings, but here's a picture that I have

[fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net]

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2015 09:01AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 20, 2015 06:09AM
Is it just me having trouble getting the pic or did it not upload correctly?

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 20, 2015 09:19AM
I see flag man showing green

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 20, 2015 09:59AM
It wasn't just you, it has to do with the photo being from Facebook. My websites anti-SPAM filter doesn't like photos from Facebook because they are posted on a secure server (https vs http). When those photos get posted it can sometimes give people a 503 error. I've updated the photo to a link and it should work now.

Here are my four shots of "My Last Excuse"

Personally I think it should have been a DQ. Don't get me wrong, it was an excellent pass, but it was an exceptional amount of fluid, and a flammable fluid at that. The last thing we need it diesel pouring all over the track in an indoor arena. Mike Ott did a great job on the starting line throwing the flag as soon as he saw something was wrong, in fact one of the photographers in the media area got a good shot of Mike holding the red flag out (I think it was Miles Krieger but I can't remember for sure). The shot was taken when the tractor was right next to Mike and the drivers eyes were already on the finishline, (just a few feet past John Murray's picture in the post above). At the finishline end Scott Doty couldn't see the fuel coming out because his view was blocked by the front tire, and Scott was watching the tractor and didn't see Mike throw the red flag. I also don't blame Dave Whelan, he was already past Mike Ott and couldn't see what was going on and he had a green flag at the end of the track.

Here's my only complaint about the whole situation, the outcome. I think the show should function like a piece of machinery. Here's what I mean by that statement: on machinery or automated equipment there are emergency stop buttons, if one button gets pressed it stops the machine. There's no need to press two or three stop buttons. In that situation the one red flag for excessive fluid should have been all it took for a DQ. We don't need two red flags to issue a DQ. There should have been no need for a discussion between flagmen, the only discussion should have been to Dave Whelan telling him that you hate to DQ him but that's the rules and you look forward to seeing him there next year. It's one of those situations where a headset would have been handy.

I've seen guys DQed for less fluid (both indoors and out). It's unfortunate when the run was clearly deserving of third and the fluid was deserving of last. That always a tough situation.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 20, 2015 12:40PM
We all should agree this day and age and with all the technology that's out there there is No reason that all the officials and this for sure includes the flagmen and sled operators should have headsets and I believe the two flagmans should be independent of everyone elses so that the only clatter they hear is between them. You might want to include the sled operator with the flagmen but Im not sure you would want that.

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 20, 2015 01:37PM
So a mechanical issue that causes a fuel leak should be a dq but Jordan Lustik losing all the engine oil from a engine failure is not? Not on either side but what is the difference?

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 20, 2015 02:08PM
am I clear
So a mechanical issue that causes a fuel leak should be a dq but Jordan Lustik losing all the engine oil from a engine failure is not? Not on either side but what is the difference?

IMHO , none and yes if that happened, he should have also been dq'd.

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 20, 2015 02:12PM
By the way, I have been dq'd for excessive oil on the track but I was watching the flagman and glad he threw the red flag because if he hadn't, who knows what I would have torn up!

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 20, 2015 04:35PM
The thought process behind the rule is that it could give you an advantage by reducing friction between the sled and the track. It isn't like the oildown rule in the NHRA were the penalty is about slowing down the show. That's the issue here.

Keith Ford Photography
[www.facebook.com]
keithfordphotography.zenfolio.com

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 21, 2015 01:46AM
The difference is when it happens and if you stay in throttle during the situation. Take for instance Shrameks smoke tube came apart both runs. Dq first run but not second. The difference was the first run and flagged and stayed in it for duration. 2nd run happened as spun out. Engine breakage that ends a run not a Dq situation. Spraying fuel excessively indoors has a safety concern first and foremost. they usually try to avoid any fire possibilities. All of this is subject to human evaluation as they happen. From my experience not obeying a flag and continuing a run has always resulted in DQ.

It could be as simple as flag guys determined that flag came to late for driver to notice and end flag man stayed green so run counted.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2015 01:50AM by AV.

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 24, 2015 10:27AM
Jake I posted the photos to Facebook as well as including that photo in my recap on the page now.
Thanks
Miles Beyond 300

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 20, 2015 02:47PM
Just think how far he would have went if he wasn't down a cylinder. One of the best super farms in the country.

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 21, 2015 02:24AM
several years back I saw a super farm that was spewing a stream of oil out under it win because the sled couldn't stop it. correct the oil leak and he was back in the middle of the pack. it makes a bigger difference than you might think.

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 21, 2015 01:16AM
If I remember correctly, not taking either side, rule states officials decision is final, and they must have agreed not to DQ, you can look at and analyze all you want but there decision was made, but I do agree there communication between officials need to improve.

Eric Prewitt
The Prewitt Pulling Team
Public Relations for
The Pulling Radio Network

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 21, 2015 02:10AM
Its an easy win while you are slicking up the track with diesel fuel , what a way to win a pull , see what he does next time bet its 10 ft behind everyone if its not leaking

Re: why wasn't My Last Excuse DQ'd February 21, 2015 03:40AM
Have you looked at any pics or even see how he got into the finals? He was .16 feet behind Skaar in the first round so I would guess the tractor has what it takes to get in the top 3. If you look at the photos, the leak is right in the track of the left rear tire. I would think that would be a disadvantage. All the fuel should be in the pile of dirt in front of the sled not sliding underneath it.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,625, Posts: 229,687, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,899.

Our newest member JD_8520