singles vs duals February 23, 2015 12:18AM
Last summer at our local tractor pull, for the first time we had a 14,000 lb under 8 MPH speed limit farm stock class. We had 12 tractors in the class. One tractor showed up with duals on it. Now, I never mentioned anything in the rules about not having duals,(over looked). However I did mention tire limit size of 20 x38 or 18x42's. We were all there for the fun of it, FFA kids included. So we all agreed to let him pull, much to everyone's surprise, he finished 8th out of the 12 tractors. How does this happen, or was it a fluke. This tractor had 18x42 half worn radials on it. Other tractors had 20 x 38 radials or bias tires on them. MFWD tractors were not allowed. I know that duals are used for flotation. So did this hurt him in this case. The track condition was very hard and dry. Thanks for your response.

Re: singles vs duals February 23, 2015 01:22AM
Like you said, duals are for flotation and won't do you any favors on a hard track unless you're 20000lbs. plus. Where I pull duals are allowed starting at 10500 and up. I pull 10500-15000 with 20.8-38 radials and have beat many tractors with duals. You just don't get enough pounds per sq inch with duals for the tires to bite.

Re: singles vs duals February 24, 2015 02:34AM
A hard track with light weights like 14000lb and the duals will hurt more than they help, now on a loose track it would probably be another story.

Re: singles vs duals February 24, 2015 02:40AM
Like pulling a disc on hard ground verses pulling a disc in plowed dirt.

Re: singles vs duals February 24, 2015 05:57AM
Not trying to jack your thread but it does pose an interesting debate. How does the pounds per square inch of the tire foot print effect a cut tire or is more surface area better with cuts? What I'm trying to say is for an example would 20.8s hook up better than 30s in say a llss?

Re: singles vs duals February 24, 2015 09:51AM
I was making reference to uncut tires. I've never pulled with cut tires so I don't know how they respond to the pounds per square inch issue.

Re: singles vs duals February 24, 2015 04:51PM
for the most part,speed helps with cuts,power,tire speed,ground speed all are better with cuts,with shorter tread height than uncut.just my opinion after watching for 35 yrs.

Re: singles vs duals February 25, 2015 12:32AM
If you say speed helps with cuts, but yet if you take two identical tractors at 8mph the one with cuts will usually out pull the one that is half worn. Is it safe to say cuts will usually out preform worn tires 90% of the time? At any speed? Thanks guys for the responses.

Re: singles vs duals February 25, 2015 08:56AM
After I put cuts on I gained on average 25 ft. The reason being with 50% tread I had 2 to 3 ft of dirt piled up in front of sled, also engine ran easier because tires were spinning instead of digging in.

Re: singles vs duals February 25, 2015 09:16AM
Bad Medicine has it correct. You do not want a lot of dirt in front of the sled just add weight.

Re: singles vs duals February 25, 2015 12:00PM
I agreed with you guys to not have piles of dirt in front of sled but in this case the track was like asphalt doing burnouts, nobody left piles I know we should of reworked track but rain was coming in. thanks

Re: singles vs duals February 25, 2015 12:37PM
I agree with you guys that say cut tires pull better than uncut, but FIRST TIMER was talking about stock or out of field pulling, which in most places cut tires are not allowed.

Re: singles vs duals February 25, 2015 03:05PM
In an 8mph class it is about lb per square in cut or uncut dirt piles up from wheel speed

Re: singles vs duals February 25, 2015 11:28PM
Well lets just experiment for a second. Stick your finger in your mashed potatoes, now drag it through them, I don't care how fast, first down to the knuckle, see how much you have piled against your finger. Now do it again only just stick your finger down half way on your fingernail, how many potatoes are piled up now ? When I pulled with Bar tires it didn't make any difference how fast ground speed was, the only difference was how hard the track was. Soft track, lots of dirt, hard track not so much. The Bars are built to DIG.

Re: singles vs duals February 26, 2015 12:58AM
Mark farm post says, "I have beat many tractors with duals." So what I experienced last summer at our local pull, I"ll put singles and duals together and see what happens. It sound like some places already do this. I'll go a step further and put our winner in the 14000 lb 8 mph class that allows top cuts only. I will see what happens, (experimental pull). I will keep you posted next winter. Thanks again.

Re: singles vs duals February 26, 2015 01:19AM
Sounds like fun experiment. I had chance at a pull to experiment with weight where I ran same class 3 time with different weight set up and learned a lot. good luck

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,785, Posts: 229,971, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,049.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009