how to make 3 disk wet clutch March 04, 2015 10:44AM
Would like to make my clutch into a three disk clutch local rules say PTO has to work. I seen on here that some peaple were talking about it but can't seem to find it. Like to know how to set it up. Any info would help. Thanks

Re: how to make 3 disk wet clutch March 04, 2015 12:33PM
You can weld the PTO and ground drive clutch hubs together and your PTO will still work.......all the time! It will no longer be live power and the only time that it won't spin is when you push in the clutch. But technicaly it will still work.

Re: how to make 3 disk wet clutch March 04, 2015 12:33PM
It's pretty easy, I'm guessing 4430 or similar. You need 2 PTO separator plates and three discs of course. There's two,ways to do the next part. One is to remove about .100" off the front plate, not my favorite way to do it, the clutch plate can fall off the hub very easily. I like to cut a step slightly larger than the clutch disc and about 3/4 the thickness of the disc into the front and the center plate., this helps hold the discs centered and keep,them from falling off the hub.

Re: how to make 3 disk wet clutch March 04, 2015 01:32PM
Here is how I would do it. Use traction clutch hub from a 4630/40 which is a three disk hub with common drive shaft spline. Add one disk and one plate to traction side of assembly. Discard one plate and one disk from PTO side of assembly leaving it a one disk/plate verses its original two. Cut down original PTO clutch hub height to accommodate new taller 4630/40 traction hub. Total height of clutch/flywheel stack doesn't change. PTO clutch will function normal just may not hold the total HP of tractor. Note: You will also use 4630/40 springs on traction side and find or shorten springs on PTO side. Good Luck, DW

Re: how to make 3 disk wet clutch March 05, 2015 12:39AM
Thanks for the help

Re: how to make 3 disk wet clutch March 05, 2015 03:05AM
hey if your interested i have a 6 disk (not sfi) perma clutch, fly wheel and clutch valve i will be getting rid of if your interested

Re: how to make 3 disk wet clutch March 05, 2015 03:18AM
Why would you need a 3 disc clutch if your class has to have a working PTO. Move up a class.

Re: how to make 3 disk wet clutch March 05, 2015 03:52AM
Could you use a clutch out of a 4640? Thanks

Re: how to make 3 disk wet clutch March 05, 2015 04:25AM
Complete clutch setup from a 4630 will bolt to 4430 crank but, 4630 uses taller flywheel to accomidate the three traction and two PTO disk. Problem is the 4430 clutch housing is not as deep to allow actuator room for taller stack. DW

Re: how to make 3 disk wet clutch July 21, 2015 11:55PM
Been many years since I have been in to one so I don't recall.What type of metal are all the parts made of? Are they good for 3000 rpm safely? Thanks

Re: how to make 3 disk wet clutch July 22, 2015 01:23AM
Maybe you should just buy the wet clutch I just took out of a 4430 puller?? It has all of the above mentioned stuff done to it.. We went to a Crower pedal clutch.

Re: how to make 3 disk wet clutch July 22, 2015 01:35AM
I leaning toward a 4230. Will the 4430 stuff fit? Exactly what setup is it? Is the stock stuff NON cast iron so it is safe for a 3000 rpm machine? Thanks

Re: how to make 3 disk wet clutch July 22, 2015 08:15AM
I just took a modified stock clutch out of my 4430. It has the the PTO hub welded to the ground drive hub to make it a 4 disk ground drive. The PTO still worked but was no longer live power, the PTO shaft quit turning when you pushed in the clutch pedal. The stock pressure plate is cast iron just like the flywheel. I had a clutch shop tell me that the pressure plate would fail before the stock flywheel would. Idon't know if this would fit in a 4230 or not.

Re: how to make 3 disk wet clutch July 26, 2015 01:50AM
A quick look at the basics shows it uses the same quantity and part numbers of some items. But I didn't check all of it.

Re: how to make 3 disk wet clutch July 26, 2015 08:28AM
In any case I will be looking for a clutch setup before next year. And of course a donor tractor to put it all in. Prefer a 4230. Would consider a 4430.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,685, Posts: 229,787, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,080, Posts: 225,952.

Our newest member Jason