murphy roller rockers April 19, 2009 02:36PM
anyone heard of murphys, or murphy bros.,I was told they make roller rocker arms any info would help THANKS

Re: murphy roller rockers April 19, 2009 05:51PM
Look at this web site... [www.murphysmotorservice.com] .I haven`t used them,but probably will in the future.

Re: murphy roller rockers April 19, 2009 11:57PM
We have bought 2 sets from Jeff. They are superior in quality. He is a great guy. You wont be dissapointed.

Re: murphy roller rockers April 20, 2009 12:08PM
I have looked up Murphy's website and their rockers don't appear to have needle bearings inside. Is there a reason that they don't put bearings in them other than just cost? Do tractors not really need bearings? I know racing rockers for cars usually do.

Re: murphy roller rockers April 21, 2009 09:21AM
probably the reason for not using needle bearings is that the load is put only 2 or 3 needles on that bearing whitch puts a huge load on a very small section.When using a bushing it spreads the load over half the circumferance of the bushing.Learned this the hard way,spent many nights machining a set and only lasted one run.Hope this helps

Re: murphy roller rockers April 22, 2009 07:49AM
Hmm. I have needles in mine & have been running them for probably at least 5 years without any problems.

I've also ditched the hollow shaft that kept breaking. A little spray oiling keeps the needles happy so far although I don't have many runs on the solid shaft setup.

Re: murphy roller rockers April 22, 2009 08:52AM
I am just wondering, did you ever run aluminum rockers that did not have the needles in them? I am just trying to figure out if it is worth the extra money to have rockers with needle bearings. I know that expensive Jesel rockers for cars definitely have needles in them. I had one that I checked out and it even had needles in the roller.

Re: murphy roller rockers April 22, 2009 01:14PM
Andy Prewitt has made several sets of rockers for lots of different brand tractors. All of his have caged needle bearing hardened rollers and locking collars between the rockers. He can make them work on most standard size stock shafts, but solid case hardened shafts have proven to hold up better with added spring pressure. Just a little oil is needed for the needle bearings. The problem he has ran into on some engines ( like the ford tractors) is having enough room for the bearing and still having a thick rocker that will clear the valve retainer and spring. Maybe that is why some don't use the needle bearing.

Re: murphy roller rockers April 23, 2009 10:15AM
He's damn cheap too!

Re: murphy roller rockers April 23, 2009 10:16AM
(502) 220-8288

Re: murphy roller rockers April 22, 2009 01:29PM
I have and had to put brass bushings in them. might be worth checking the price
difference. they were not Murphys rockers.

Re: murphy roller rockers April 23, 2009 05:30AM
I designed a set for a 3000 RPM tractor that we didn't put needles in. He only ran that set for about half a year before putting the tractor back to stock, but had no problems during that time.

Prewitt is right - clearance can become a problem, both on the spring & pushrod side.

Re: murphy roller rockers April 20, 2009 03:25PM
Thanks for the info Doug I apppreciate it!!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009