Need Help widen rims having tube troubles !!!!!! March 12, 2015 08:32AM
I'm trying to mount a set of 20.8 x38 Goodyear dt710 radial tires on a set of 23in wide wheels and I'm having trouble with the tubes ripping at the valve stem ! I used Firestone 20.8x38 radial tubes and have ruined three of them now. The best outcome so far has been for the tire to hold air for about a week but that's it , then the stem tore out of the tube. The stem holes are in the stock location on the rim, rims where split between the bevels in the center and widen five inches do I need the drill a new stem hole closer to the center ? Are there better tubes out there , or bigger tubes ????? Has anyone else had any issues with this ??? Any help would be greatly appreciated thank in advance !!!!!

Re: Need Help widen rims having tube troubles !!!!!! March 12, 2015 10:17AM
U will need to move the stem hole in the same distance u widen rim

Re: Need Help widen rims having tube troubles !!!!!! March 12, 2015 11:45AM
We used radial tubes for years but then was informed that NATURAL RUBBER tubes are way better!
Never had any trouble with them but had some trouble with radials, I also agree move the stem hole
Hope this helps

Re: Need Help widen rims having tube troubles !!!!!! March 12, 2015 01:36PM
I've had similar problems holding tubes on my 20.8 BFG's on 23" rims. In my case it wasn't the valve stems ripping, but the tubes were basically splitting I think. I was initially told to go the Natural Rubber route, but that didn't work either. Then Mark Hawthorn cut the tires for me and he said the only way to make rims that wide work with tubes is to go with a larger metric tube. I'm not exactly sure what size tube he put in for me, but I'm guessing like a 540/65R38 or a 600/65R38.

Re: Need Help widen rims having tube troubles !!!!!! March 12, 2015 10:28PM
Put some baby powder in between the tube and tire .. The tube needs to be able to move in there as you air it up

Re: Need Help widen rims having tube troubles !!!!!! March 13, 2015 01:02AM
Thanks everyone for all the help!

Re: Need Help widen rims having tube troubles !!!!!! March 14, 2015 11:09AM
Larger tubes are the key. 18.4x38 are traditionally mounted on 16" wide rims. When mounting to a18-20" rim you need to move to a larger tube. (20.8x38 tubes) Unless you want to change the off set when widening rims i recommend leaving the stem hole side alone and widen the opposite side. Most rims regardless of size have the stem hole placed in the same general spot from the rim edge. Again like said above Mark Hawthorn will set you up with your needs.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,624, Posts: 229,684, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,897.

Our newest member JD_8520