Pinckneyville, IL Cancelled March 27, 2015 05:55AM
I see the ITPA pull at Pinckneyville, IL was cancelled on June 20, 2015, I was wondering is that due to the State of Illinois cutting funding to county fairs? If it is it's a damn shame as that is a traditionally good pull for years, the state needs to be cutting welfare to Chicago instead of county fairs.

Re: Pinckneyville, IL Cancelled March 27, 2015 06:07AM
WI sends way too much money to Milwaukee also. I feel your pain

Re: Pinckneyville, IL Cancelled March 27, 2015 07:26AM
Funding has been being cut for years now. I've been on our local county fair board for 27 years, and the amount we have gotten back on premium refund has gone down every year. If the funding is completely cut, which would not surprise me, there are only a hand full of fairs that will survive. I'm not going to say we won't have to share in the cuts to try and fix the problems in this messed up state, at best I hope the money is cut over a period of years, so we at least have a chance to figure out alternative funding sources. Funding for rehabilitation were cut off 2 weeks ago for this year, proposed state budget has funding in it at the same level as it has been. Who knows what the budget will look like when passed, or if it will be followed. No doubt there are folks in the legislature who will believe a bike path on abandoned rail road tracks, or an exhibit of modern art has more value than county fairs, they have a long tradition in the state and bring a LOT of money into the communities where they are held. Contact your legislators and urge then to give county fairs consideration. Better yet, become a volunteer at your county fair and help with finding a solution to keep it going.It's not just pulling at risk, it is the whole ag tradition of county fairs that is at risk.
Sorry for the long rant, but it's a subject I'm pretty passionate about.

Re: Pinckneyville, IL Cancelled March 27, 2015 03:18PM
I had a conversation with a pig farmer there once. He said he remembers when a V-8 Massey pulled. He even showed me with his hands what it looked like.

Re: Pinckneyville, IL Cancelled March 28, 2015 12:19AM
Just curious were the other organizations that pull there cut as well, or was ITPA the only one cut.

Re: Pinckneyville, IL Cancelled March 28, 2015 02:03AM
Not sure about other organizations but I know the ITPA classes have been cancelled on June 20, 2015.

Re: Pinckneyville, IL Cancelled March 28, 2015 03:09AM
Just wondering why everyone's tax dollars should be spent on a fair if it doesn't cash flow don't have it. Or is this how they aford to have the big pulls and pay for the pulls and there for indirectly tax dollars fund pulling tractors. Taxes are for justice and for safety not for a county fair

Re: Pinckneyville, IL Cancelled March 28, 2015 03:45AM
IHFSPA. ALL CLASSES CANCELLED ALSO.

To answer why March 28, 2015 10:35AM
County fairs receive funding for all their events and for the appreciation of agriculture, tractor pulls can be expensive to put on and the smaller counties relied on these benefits. Yes taxes are needed for justice and safety but also it's very important to show appreciation to the farmers and their communities, county fairs create memories, bring communities together and promote agriculture. So yes it's disappointing to see funds cut to county fairs while welfare which is completely out of control get no cuts, not to mention corruption over the years in the Illinois State Capital.

Re: To answer why March 28, 2015 12:16PM
Not the fairs, but the pensions that state employees were promised years ago. I believe this is from 2012 and not much has changed since then.

[ballotpedia.org]

Re: To answer why March 28, 2015 12:22PM
Not trying to get political, but lets just say 2 of our last 3 governors have spent time in prison...for good reason. Now we have a business man running the state/"company" and is attempting/trying to get it back on track the best way he knows how and everyone wants to hang him for it. The worst problem in IL is far too many people got used to handouts. And no, I am not saying this is the exact scenario in this situation with this county fair. As an Illinois resident taxpayer, I am sad to say this may not be the only county fair in the state we see this happen to when its all said and done.

Re: To answer why March 28, 2015 12:40PM
No, you are probably right, it may not be. It may be for the year, but not in coming years. I am an Illinois taxpayer also.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,948, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,033.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009