Staged turbo system for a car. I've come for tractor pullers advice May 12, 2015 10:49AM
Hi. I haven't had much to do with tractor pulling but it seems like you might be the best people to talk to about what I want to consider. I’ve been looking for information for compound, or staged turbo systems and they seem rare in the car world, or in any books I have found so far. All I can find is heavy duty machinery, Supra’s, RX-7’s but I can’t find any info on someone who has done it as a custom project.

I'm looking to tune an already turbocharged engine for higher HP but I don't want to sacrifice my boost threshold, lag, or torque by just putting on an oversized/larger turbo on.

So my questions;
Can you recommend where I can get some information on compound or staged turbo systems, from a forum or book?
Would you be more inclined to go for a compound turbo system (multiplying of boost), or a staged (transition of work load at various RPM). I know Borg Warner makes staged/biturbo systems which would be nice to get one from them. I would like to keep things simple if possible.

What I’m looking to do is take a 2.5L turbocharged engine that is producing about 360 hp stock and bring it up to about 600 hp ( I know of a tuning company that has this car producing 560 WBHP with 23 psi)

So If I go compound I would end up picking turbos with a pretty low pressure ratio to get the boost level that I want 23+ PSI.

On another note has anyone ever used the book; ‘Turbocharging the Internal Combustion Engine’ by N. Watson (Author), M.S. Janota (Author)

Re: Staged turbo system for a car. I've come for tractor pullers advice May 13, 2015 12:58AM
Call Darrel Cox at DCR in Bronson, Michigan 517-369-nine6three6. JW

Re: Staged turbo system for a car. I've come for tractor pullers advice May 20, 2015 11:23AM
bandit496
Call Darrel Cox at DCR in Bronson, Michigan 517-369-nine6three6. JW

Good to know. I'm just reading up at the moment.

thanks

farmerboy70
Look here, almost a 1000 posts on the subject.

[www.yellowbullet.com]

Perfect. exactly what I need to keep me reading for a while.

Thanks.

Re: Staged turbo system for a car. I've come for tractor pullers advice May 13, 2015 04:39AM
Look here, almost a 1000 posts on the subject.

[www.yellowbullet.com]

Re: Staged turbo system for a car. I've come for tractor pullers advice May 22, 2015 01:56PM
You don't need compound turbos to make 600hp. Look up the Huber Mustang. They have a very streetable Ford 2.5L 4-cylinder that makes upwards of 900 with one turbo. I think its based on a 2.3L that has been stroked and I would guess it has some Esslinger parts, but not for sure on that. You don't need compound until you're ready to exceed the 1200hp range and really start breaking parts. We have classes in pulling where guys are making well over 3000hp with one turbo, so unless you just really wanna do it, just upgrade to a bigger turbo and hang on.

If you need a good reference book, Hugh MacInnes's book is still probably the most accurate and helpful in my opinion. The more I reread it the more I realize how brilliant this guy was 40 years ago about what we're trying to do now. Jay Miller's book is good too, but doesn't cover as many concepts as well. It's more of a collection of his experiences in the industry and gets too specific in some cases. Corky Bell's book has a few helpful pictures, but the less you read the better off you'll be.

Re: Staged turbo system for a car. I've come for tractor pullers advice May 23, 2015 07:33AM
I've seen Hubers car run at Drag Week and its awesome..

Re: Staged turbo system for a car. I've come for tractor pullers advice May 23, 2015 08:16AM
Keep in mind if you want to make 600 hp you have to have a turbo that will feed 600 hp. You are not going to use a 300hp turbo and make 600hp. A lot of guys think they can out think the turbo or trick it into thinking it's bigger than it is. It's still air in, air out. It takes a lot of turbo to make 900-1200 hp even in such a small engine.

Re: Staged turbo system for a car. I've come for tractor pullers advice May 23, 2015 01:47PM
Like I said, check out DCR (Darrel Cox Racing). The things he does to Chrysler 2.4 and 2.6 is amazing with one turbo. Six hundred would be a mild motor out of his shop. JW

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,720, Posts: 229,839, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,969.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro