Modify turbo exhaust housing? or modify new turbo to fit? June 14, 2015 09:51AM
Farm stock IH tractor. One group requires the the 3lm-466 turbo, other group has open charger rule. My other turbo is a borg warner s366. Is it easier to cut down the outlet on the 366 exhaust housing to fit inside the stock ih exhaust elbow? Or is it just as easy to grab another 3lm exhaust housing and fit it to the s366? Any thoughts or experiences to share? I want to keep the factory elbow because I am using the original tank and dont want to have to take care of two different sheetmetal pieces. Thanks.

Re: Modify turbo exhaust housing? or modify new turbo to fit? June 14, 2015 10:31AM
At one time I had Carl at area diesel modify to fit the factor elbow on a s366 worked nice

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2015 10:32AM by andrew1086.

Re: Modify turbo exhaust housing? or modify new turbo to fit? June 14, 2015 11:23AM
Could you send me a pic or a better description of what he did? I think I can chuck my housing up in a lathe and turn down the output flange to slip inside the factory elbow, but thought that maybe using the same exhaust housing for both turbos would be easier...

Re: Modify turbo exhaust housing? or modify new turbo to fit? June 14, 2015 11:58AM
I'll Throw some pics up tomorrow when I get a chance!

Re: Modify turbo exhaust housing? or modify new turbo to fit? June 14, 2015 12:00PM
Or just text them to me, Andrew. Neil at 608-327-7321. Thanks.

Re: Modify turbo exhaust housing? or modify new turbo to fit? June 15, 2015 11:09AM
I have a pretty good plan worked out. I made a jig this afternoon that allowed me to chock up my s366 exhaust housing in the lathe and machined down the output to the same diameter as the 3lm outlet ring that adapts it to the elbow. I ordered a new cast elbow and ring for the 3lm, and when that stuff shows up, I will be able to make the Borg Warner bolt right in place of the 3lm. Will make things a lot easier. I need to shave just a little bit off of the base of the Borg Warner housing so that they line up exactly the same. If anyone else needs this done, let me know. Neil @ 608-317-7321.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,641, Posts: 229,707, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520