Neutral switch July 01, 2015 12:31PM
Looking for idea's to set up a neutral switch on a hot farm. Tractor is a 4010 rearend with a 3spd trans, still using factory shift linkage. Shift pattern is R-N-1-2-3. Thinking of using a contact switch with a spring tip to contact the shift rod. Any idea's?

Re: Neutral switch July 02, 2015 10:23AM
Put a push button switch under the clutch pedal. Passes Outlaw and any other organization that we have pulled with.

Re: Neutral switch July 02, 2015 02:32PM
It would not pass me if I was the inspector. Most dangerous safety switch you could come up with. If you start a tractor in gear with safety clutch switch and side step the clutch with some RPMs, some one will be hurt.
If you are using stock shifter, just put a NC push switch ahead of shifter for park. MACK

Re: Neutral switch July 02, 2015 05:34PM
You are entitled to your opinion. We have the same shift pattern as G Man with factory linkage. 3 speed tran don't have a PARK. If my foot was to slip off the clutch pedal ,with the gears we have, I would need to be turning some very high RPM's.

Re: Neutral switch July 02, 2015 06:45PM
Since when is a "neutral switch" a switch operated by the clutch pedal ? Best give that some additional consideration or change the terminology.

Re: Neutral switch July 02, 2015 11:06PM
In the past i have used a carriage bolt head and a push button switch. Drill a hole in your shift linkage [ some where out off the way of driver ] and put your bolt in, then mount switch so it only makes contact when in neutral.

Re: Neutral switch July 03, 2015 05:16PM
Someone will have to tell me how to put a switch on mine I use a safety start switch on the clutch because Im running a triple lever shifter so there is no way I can see to mount and make a "neutral" switch work It seem to me that a clutch switch should be acceptable. I would be happy to have BOTH if someone can explain or show me the way to mount a neutral switch on a 3 lever shifter set up. This is on a 560 IH.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2015 03:53PM by farmall puller.

Re: Neutral switch July 05, 2015 12:07AM
[www.mcmaster.com]

Can be had cheap off ebay as well

Re: Neutral switch July 04, 2015 12:10AM
For the three lever set up you need to wire in up to six normally closed switches ( two per lever) . If the lever is moved either forward or back it contacts switch , opening circuit to starter switch. The switches need to be wired in series so if one is pressed the circuit is dead ( think Christmas lights one bad bulb whole works goes out) .The set up can be changed many ways depending on linkage

Re: Neutral switch July 04, 2015 05:40AM
Thanks hadn't thought about it from that angle. Think I'll stay with clutch switch untill told to do otherwise.

Re: Neutral switch July 04, 2015 12:00PM
Easy now,! Just looking to see what types of set ups are out there. Neutral switch is to activate a light to let the sled personel know its ok to approach the tractor and hook to the sled. Like yanmar said we do not have a park. The shift linkage doesnt move a lot front to back as it does up and down. Trying to locate the switch below the shift drum,but there isnt alot to work with there, another alternative to to mount something back near the trans arm at the case. I suppose i could mount something on the dash but trying to avoid that due to the way it would look

Re: Neutral switch July 05, 2015 08:31AM
If you have 3 shifters then when they are all in neutral drill a hole through all 3 levers and shove a rode through them with a sender on the end of rod.

Re: Neutral switch July 04, 2015 11:46AM
So Farmall guy, safety last is your motto?
There are a couple other ways to handle the three lever/neutral start situation, but it is a waste of time telling you, because you are too lazy/cheap/ignorant to do it.
The associations should change their rules to fit your tractor, and mechanical ineptitude?
Since you have a 560, and claim it is OK with Outlaws, I'm guessing you have a fat tire supertiquer.
You fit in much better with the superwhinerfarm class.
I expect to read about you in a "pulling tractor squishes innocent bystander" thread soon.

Re: Neutral switch July 04, 2015 03:47PM
So "unimpressed" you are what seems to me to be a supera??. Are you saying that a clutch safety switch doesn't make my tractor safe. if not then why does it satifily the govt safety standards for everything else and also you don't know squat about me or what I think. Also the associations I pull with approve the method we use now ( I haven't said what associations they are) and I'm not the only one running them in our association. I think the reason your not telling the other ways is because your not smart enough to do so. Also we run a REVERSE light that tell the Hooker and Unhooker that the tractor isn't in reverse.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2015 03:55PM by farmall puller.

Re: Neutral switch July 06, 2015 05:04PM
Forgive me wise one.
Yanmar55 claims the Outlaws approve of the hokey clutch switch.
Their rules plainly state, neutral safety switch,
I do like the reverse switch idea, for backing up at night pulls, then the neutral light for lighting up the hitch area.
For pulling antique tractors, the pedal idea is "good enough", since there aren't any fans around.
Once the vehicles start developing some decent horsepower, and speed, then the neutral switch is necessary.
Have a fun season!
Don't squish any of your puller friends!

Re: Neutral switch July 04, 2015 11:26PM
Here is very crude drawing of one way to mount a neutral light switch on a 4010. You just need to fab a bracket to mount a switch so that the arm on the shifting drum under the dash contacts it when the transmission is in neutral. You can use a switch like this one.

[www.mcmaster.com]

Re: Neutral switch July 05, 2015 11:29AM
Use a rotor switch off of 2388 case IH combine. U can wire it normally closed or normally open. The case IH part # is 128298a2. I work in parts at a case IH dealership

Re: Neutral switch July 06, 2015 02:31PM
I tried to send you a PM but not sure if it did. I am not the greatest with technology.

Send me some contact info and I will send you a picture of ours.

Thanks

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009