Parts Washer Solvent July 07, 2015 05:08PM

Hi,
What kind of cleaning solution/solvent do you guys (and gals) use in your parts washers?
I've used the water-based stuff in the past (not real impressed with it) and am using kerosene now, but was just wondering what the best/most popular stuff is.

Later .......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2015 03:57AM by Little Wood Duck.

Re: Parts Washer Solvent July 09, 2015 12:33PM
ive tried a few different poyions over the years,always seem to end up back at kerosene and/or dyed diesel.seems to be the easiest to get and dispose of

Re: Parts Washer Solvent July 09, 2015 03:43PM
Mineral spirits work well. Either way,kero or mineral solvents, add a can of Gunk SC. This is a surfactant and will really crank up the cleaning action. Adding a filter is a good idea too.

Re: Parts Washer Solvent July 10, 2015 11:28PM
This is from another forum I belong to. I haven't tried it yet, but want to look into it.

When I had my automotive machine shop I really became sensitive to carb cleaners and solvents and decided to try something else. I went to Lyn Distributing in North Salt Lake and they suggested this [www.lyndist.com] I tried it and was amazed. It is a bio-degradable soap and I mixed it 1 gallon of Super-Sol to 4 gallons of water. I has a very slight smell to it but is not overpowering or sickening. I was surprised on how well it cleaned if I left the parts in it to soak. Even when I ran Small Block Chevy pushrods through the Jet Cleaner (High Pressure Hot caustic spray cabinet) the would come out non oily but still brown from the burnt on stuff. If I soaked them in the Supr-Solv they would come out shiny like chrome. The bio-degradable soaps can really be good.

Re: Parts Washer Solvent July 12, 2015 03:57AM

Hi,
Interesting...
I see they also have a specific parts washer solvent that sounds pretty good, too.
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated!

Later .......

Re: Parts Washer Solvent July 12, 2015 03:29PM
I go to our local napa store to get mine.It's not water based. I can tell that it's not when it hits my hands or arms. But it works better than ay water based bs that I have ever seen. Now whatever you do, don't tell the epa that I said that.

Re: Parts Washer Solvent July 13, 2015 12:36AM
Use Stoddard

Re: Parts Washer Solvent July 13, 2015 06:12AM
I use zep 140. I put water in first to a level below pickup screen. Then fill rest with zep. The zep is lighter than water so it stays seperated. All the dirt and heavys fall to the bottom. Stays clean alot longer.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,747, Posts: 229,890, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,087, Posts: 225,994.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM