7500 na / keeping up with mm April 30, 2009 10:24AM
while watching videos on a illinois website,and at pulls it seems like the only tractors pulling in 7000 and above,in a modified na class is molines.by viewing these classes it appears that plugs are normal in diesel heads.i would think the mm advantage is mostly cu-in,and that the hd-800 is popular.in a 7500 wt class has a 5010 jd ever been tried in this application,on gas of course,or a 2255 oliver on gas.i would think both of these would be very competitive against the mm.also was the bb-jd ever offered with a spark ignition in a non ag application.the v-8 cat was offered with a spark ignition in a natural gas version for oilfield work wasn't it?

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm April 30, 2009 03:42PM
Get an 855 cummins and put it in a case. Get yourself a super 250 crank (counter weighted from the factory) and offset grind it. Find some big airplane pistons in the 6 + inches range. And locate yourself a set of 4 valve heads and remove the injector and replace them with spark plugs. It is very easy to build an engine that is huge and will turn really fast. Best of all case used that motor in tractors. So you will actually have a motor that came in a tractor, rather than a power unit or truck motor. Adam Cam's Tractor called Free Bird had a motor similar to this in it.....not sure one specific specs though.

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm April 30, 2009 03:44PM
Call Ron Shipman he can build the cummins for you.

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm April 30, 2009 04:29PM
Check out the NA videos on you tube. Type " mf1155puller" in the search box.

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 01, 2009 12:05AM
are you refering to tim drake,a diesel.i think a diesel would have a very hard time in this class.local to me in oh there is a 2255 in a 75na modified class,it runs very good for a na diesel,but cant get away from a good 301 in a 560,or kings cockshutt 570/crossflow.

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 01, 2009 03:08AM
The group that Tim runs with are 10,000 and 12,000 lbs and limited to 3500 RPMS.

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 01, 2009 12:59AM
The Cummins in the Case setup is highly competitive with the big MM s. I think it was 2 years ago at Gordyville, there was a similar setup there that was tuff. He even made a very competitive run in the light super class. As far as the v-8 cat on gas, I am unaware of one in that application, although it is highly likely you are correct. If you took a look at gordyville this year, The little ford, and the 560's and I think it was a Case were most impressive, of course they are running at 6500 lb. and not 7500 lb. This is a big difference for a n/a tractor. Last year at gordyville, there was a MF v-8 with billet heads that waxed everyone. He was still on diesel. Around here, we had a 966 with a diesel n/a 466 motor, at ?? how many cubic inches. He could run a lot more RPM, and was very hard on the MM's. I would think that a 4010 setup, with the 466 and proper head work, and cubes could copy this and do pretty well, probably on gas or diesel. Not sure on the big block Deere, weight might be hard to make at 7500. I know 900 plus cubes are possible out of the 619 block, but I haven't heard very many head flow numbers. Of course if someone was willing to cut on one long enough, weight could probably be met also. I think there are options for competitive vehicles in this type of class, but there are so many places to run a turbo charged version of these tractors, that the n/a class is often overlooked as building option. The MM guys are comming out of the ranks of the antique pulling world, and kind of leaving that behind, and the larger V-8 n/a guys, seem to be just waiting to get into a tuboed diesel of some kind. So alot of times they don't view the n/a class in the same way. The V-8 diesel guys look at it as more of a farm stock class. Around here there are a few associations that have a heavy natural class, and they won't let anything but a diesel run, others have cube limits so the big MM's are left out. Most places, diesel competion doesn't want to run with gas, so the MM guys have usually banded together to form there own n/a class, and that is why you normally see a lot of MM's in these type of classes.

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 01, 2009 04:09AM
the oliver 2255 cat would be my choice. but putting spark plugs in the cat heads looks to be a miserable expierence. some natural gas heads were offered, but finding them is difficult. on alcohol that motor would absolutely scream. anybody got some natural gas heads????

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 01, 2009 04:22AM
the oliver/cat would be my choice also,with ng heads.636 might be enough cu-in to,if the heads flow decent.where does this case pull at,i couldn't imagine other pullers in this class ok'ing a 855 cummins in a case.is there any video's of the case or the na massey anywhere,i can't seem to find any.

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 01, 2009 04:39AM
the cat 3208 would go to approx. 791 c.i.d. that be be enough to compete. the mm would likely have more torque, but the cat would have double the rpm and should out run the yellow monsters, in my opinion.

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 01, 2009 05:57AM
I think it would be a plenty to compete also, but you shure don't see any of the existing V-8 diesel n/a classes around central illinois allowing a big MM in to run with them on gas. I have never seen any of these classes allow the v-8 to go from diesel to gas either. I think the diesel guys may be a little intimidated by gas. I guess it may be a little hard on there pride if one beat there diesel tractor.

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 01, 2009 07:03AM
I have seen several of the central Il NA guys jump into a open turbo class at put it to Jeremy Walkers old MM.

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 01, 2009 07:36AM
Sorry, not familiar with this Walkers tractor. Please explain what it is? What model is it? You say it is an open turbo class, so is the MM turbo charged or something? What was the weight of the competeing tractors? Were they all weighted up the same? Is it diesel or gas? How many cubes? etc... If its just an n/a 800 cube tractor, you are backing my point even more as to why the gas motors should be allowed in such a class. If the gas tractors are so weak, why not allow it.

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 01, 2009 06:33AM
What is the bore and stroke combination for 791 cid in a cat 3208 ?
Whose running such a combination in what class?

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 01, 2009 07:38AM
I say go for it if your local club rules allow for it, a v-8 on gas would be something different to shake em all up. I love them old V-8 tractors.

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 01, 2009 08:36AM
i live on the oh-pa line,this class was very big in western pa and eastern oh,in the 80's and up into the early 90's.although it was somewhat limited and closed minded,it was very popular.looking back this is what many considered killed it.it started out with the usual ol-88,ih-560,a few mm,a d-21,4010-d,ih-m,190-ac,1850-ol-gas,1150-mf,and e few others i can't remember.the wt was 5500 and 7500.all had to be n/a,and use oem manifolds.in the early 90's a friend went to school in western oh,when i visited we would go to a pull now and then,and watch the tri-state bunch from in-oh.boy what a difference.they were using diesel heads on gas,which our tractors weren't allowed,this seemed to add interest and life into the class.in our area this class was dy'ing a slow death due to the oem fuel rule,per head.now there is only 3-5 tractors left running,{we must use factory block for rearend to},i look back and just think what could have been.it seems like most of the pullers that left this class,still have some interest and modernizing these rules could spark some much needed tractors again.maybe elderly deere can chime in ,athough he runs a different class,he runs local to this.

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 01, 2009 12:02PM
A few years ago Illini State Pullers in ill had rules to let someone build a V-8 in a oliver, but it never got built. I think you can still build that combo yet in that club.

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 01, 2009 12:52PM
i'll have to plan a nice vacation after viewing thier schedule.i enjoy watching this class,it has a good variety of "i built this myself" tractors in it.not to many cookie cutter designs in it.one of the most intriguing tractors i saw at tri-state was owned buy a fellow who's last name was chew?,it was a 203 massey-harris,powered by a 427 flathead continental,that was converted to ohv by using some type of ford automotive heads.i believe the heads were of the v-8 design with 1-cyl each removed,and a very nice looking homemade tube manifold.it ran very good to.this just seems like a builders class of to each his own.

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 01, 2009 01:07PM
The 10000lb and 12000lb NA central illinois class mentioned earlier is in my opinion a little different than the 5000lb and 7000lb NA classes of illini state. the main difference being that in the heavy class we gear down and drag the sled with the pan down right from the start line. I guess its both pulling but it makes it less of a drag race. I know either way it takes power its just a whole different setup in your tractor! to each their own!!!!!!!

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 02, 2009 04:44AM
You are correct, the more open classes in southern ohio and indiana have a lot better numbers than the classes around here. The class in NE ohio is what happens when only one or two people spend any money and make thier tractor run. Then they win and everyone else quits cause they won't open thier wallet.

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 02, 2009 05:14AM
So if it is an N/A class can you set it up on fuel injection or do you have to build a huge carb. I know shipman builds some huge engine and his tractor can run and adam camms tractor was a great ride. How heavy is a 3208 to run it in a 7500 class with a chassis to hold up would be a strtch in my opinon

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 02, 2009 07:09AM
in northeast oh.there is a 2255 in 7500 n/a,the driver name is kuchenbecker?,it holds up,has planitaries also.the bad medicine white,and donaldsons white both used 2255 rears in uss and held up fine.

Re: 7500 na / keeping up with mm May 02, 2009 02:31PM
When Interstate had non-turbo, Barricks had 2255's on Diesel in the 5500 class with 300-400 lbs of movable weight. They used a 1650 rear. They Also had one that they pulled in the 7000 class that still had the right rear.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,731, Posts: 229,864, Members: 3,332.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,984.

Our newest member WestonFarms