Rear wheel width August 11, 2015 08:53AM
I am just wondering why there is not been any rear wheel width limits put on farm stock tractors. or tractor pulling in general. I have done some searching on several pulling organizations and have not found any rules pertaining to rear wheel width's. I have seen some tractors that are actually so wide that the dirt is going outside of the sled pan and not piling up any dirt in front of the pan to speak of. I am not calling anybody out on this because there is no rules that I can find anywhere just wondering why not.

Re: Rear wheel width August 11, 2015 10:32PM
When a tractor is that wide we have seen them pull on the scales to check the draw bar, and with the tire hanging off the side of the scales a little bit will alow the tractor to sag down and let you rais the hitch hight. then when you check the hitch on flat ground the hitch will be higher.

Re: Rear wheel width August 12, 2015 12:01AM
Just as you have rules for rpms, hitch height, tire width, weight bracket length, etc someone now has found that no rule exists on width of tire span. Measure the pan width of the sled and state your width cant excise that measurement.

Re: Rear wheel width August 12, 2015 12:57AM
Use to be a modified puller back in the 70's from Indiana with an extremely wide BB Chevy powered F-30. He left it that way purposely so that the dirt would be thrown outside the pan instead of in front of it. He could barely load it on a standard width trailer. He finally had enough run ins with the law because the tractor was over width, that he narrowed the rear end. He tried arguing with the police that pulled him over that the tractor being over width was legal because it was for agricultural use. Needless to say, they didn't buy it!

Re: Rear wheel width August 12, 2015 12:23PM
with wide wheel it is harder to go down the track straight with a lot of power .

Re: Rear wheel width August 12, 2015 12:46PM
"well", that is exacty the reason why Art Arfons turbine "Green Monster" and Lee Pendelton's transverse mounted V-12 Allison "City Slicker" had such a narrow distance between the traction tires. However, those big tire lugs (Art had logger tires with huge lugs for awhile) sure could pile the dirt up in front of the pan.

"Dan", overall, a wide tire stance has not really been an issue, generally in pulling. But than there always has to be an exception somewhere. Apparently, you found it.

Re: Rear wheel width August 13, 2015 04:34AM
Now we know the "rest of the story" behind not wanting 42s allowed. Do they make planetaries for a Ford?

Re: Rear wheel width August 13, 2015 06:42AM
Please explain what 42" tires, fords, and planetaries have to do with this thread. Thanks in advance but I'm confused

Re: Rear wheel width August 13, 2015 03:24PM
its been several years but I know there was a width in the ntpa rulebook of 96" I haven't pulled at that level in several years and don't have a current rule book to know if it is still in there. It was in general rules in the mid 90's I think.

Re: Rear wheel width August 14, 2015 12:22AM
They are gonna complain that their planetary reagent is so wide they can't get it any closer. BUT they are running home made wheels

Re: Rear wheel width August 14, 2015 02:16AM
The real shame in this is that it took two years for this to show up (someone figured it out) . Sure wasn't always that wide. But between motor problems, clutch problems and turbo problems never showed an advantage. Now with those problems gone its finally pretty evident. If you think there was a lot of crying before you all haven't seen nothing yet!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,956, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,039.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009