Pulling Distances September 13, 2015 09:13AM
What are everyones thoughts on winning distances being 340 feet plus? What happened to the winning distance being between 310 and 320.. I would think that it would be hard on tractors to run that far. It has turned into more of a drag race.

Re: Pulling Distances September 13, 2015 10:12AM
Ya id like to know that to. What was wrong with with full pull being 300 feet. Not this 350 feet bs that seems like its getting a little bit out of hand.

Re: Pulling Distances September 13, 2015 11:26AM
Why don't you ask the pullers what they like better. What they think is easier on parts. These machines aren't the same as the 80's/90's trucks and Tractors

Re: Pulling Distances September 13, 2015 12:36PM
Our computers say we are going 330' now the same or faster than we went 300' 3 years ago. The promoters and the audience love the wheel speed. They pay the bills.

Re: Pulling Distances September 13, 2015 01:02PM
Yea speed is fine to a point until something goes wrong and you cannot get the pulling vehicle stoped with all the speed of the sled pushing it! Last I looked tractor pulling not a race. There has to be a happy medium between speed in pulling and the length of pull. I think pulling is at a cross roads. Pulling is turning into drag racing with a sled behind the tractor or truck. I would like like to know how often the engines on the prostocks tractors get rebuilt or at least drop the pan to check the bearings. I wonder how often the blowers get checked or freshend?

Re: Pulling Distances September 13, 2015 01:22PM
The farther the better!

Re: Pulling Distances September 14, 2015 03:01AM
mburall
The farther the better!

Same here..I love to see a winning distance of at least 330 ft..

Re: Pulling Distances September 15, 2015 04:44AM
Another problem with setting the sled is vehicle quality. Sled operators know they have a certain number of vehicles in a class that will be the furthest distances. Do they set them to 300-310 and let the rest of the class finish up 260-270 or is it better to get the majority in the 290-300 range and the winners in the 330-340?

Re: Pulling Distances September 13, 2015 01:28PM
The bigger event need more seating at the end. We always sit 300-320. Having more distance is a great way. Floating finish sure beats a 10 tractor pull off all the time as a spectator on super hot days and late nights. That back to back run has got to be harder on the motor than going 350' once. Then throw in if your a test puller, turn down come back later then run again in a pull off. That's a entire weekend of pulling in a 2 hour span.

Re: Pulling Distances September 13, 2015 03:43PM
I shore dew miss them step on sleds!
Ya'alls could read the inflation pressure recommendations on the side walls of the Tarz on the way by you're blanket whilst chewing on a ham and cheese sammich.
Them was the good old daze!

Re: Pulling Distances September 14, 2015 02:15AM
I agree with OBB. Most pullers that I talk to prefer 295-320. Not 330-350+. That's higher end tractors and trucks. Not antiques or stock vehicles.. Longer tracks to fit all the fans in at the huge pulls is about the reasonable argument I have heard for lengthening the track. But there are not a ton of pulls were that is a key problem. Not to be sarcastic but if you define "quality of show" as the length of a pull - why don't we make 400ft or 500ft the new 300ft? That would put on an even better show than 340ft using that logic. 295-320 is reasonable and mostly the only pullers I talk to that want to pull further than that are wanting to b/c they feel like their vehicle is better relative to the other vehicles at the longer distances. They hide behind things like "puts on better show" and "the fans and promoters like it" and dismiss the safety aspect and extra strain on the engines when the honest answer is "I do better in my class when the distances are 340+ than when they are 310.

Re: Pulling Distances September 14, 2015 03:29AM
Call me Old Skool but I'm came up in pulling with the 300ft Full Pull and then Pull off. However, I am also aware time changes as does technology and the tractors/trucks HP has also dramatically increased as well. BUT I see no reason why setting 320-325 as FULL PULL is not reasonable distance and a Pull Off for only those over. Sled Operators can set the sled to make it work.

Remember people its called Tractor PULLING, not Tractor Drag Races. Also there are many places going out to distance's like 340-350+ just isn't feasible or workable.

Make it universal 320-325 and go with that, pull off as needed, let the eliminator operator dial in for it and go. Indoor pulls are much shorter so any argument about longer is better is offset by those who will also run indoors with no problems.

Just my .02 cents.........Red712

Re: Pulling Distances September 14, 2015 01:17PM
The distance of the track is another equalizer in a class just like weight limits or speed limits and it takes a whole different setup for a long track than it does a short track fast gear long track slower gear short track so it would be nice to pull 300 all the time or 340 every time drag racing theres classes you can run a1/8 or 1/4 every race we need a set distance 300 ,400 ft what ever but the same

Re: Pulling Distances September 15, 2015 03:09AM
I HATE distances of 340 plus and floating finish. Pulling was set up on 300 feet and over that was a pulloff. Yes vehicles have more power now than ever before but the sled operator can stop them if they wanted to. There are some places that cant take a 340 run. Big Jack put his mod in a corn field for Gods sake!!!! Make the track 310 set the sled a little tighter and you can still have a great show!!!

Re: Pulling Distances September 15, 2015 03:18AM
I couldn't agree more old school fan. It's become drag racing tractors and trucks, pulling a drag racing sled. There's not much pulling to it anymore, other than the last 10 to 15 feet.

Re: Pulling Distances September 15, 2015 04:52AM
Yes,it is a drag race,and really a shame when the drop pan sleds abuse the old slow classics AND ANTIQUES. LOL

Re: Pulling Distances September 15, 2015 10:15AM
You could have a floating finish but have a rule theyre not to exceed 320 or the distance every body agrees on

Re: Pulling Distances September 15, 2015 10:56AM
I live an an area where every association within 300 miles of me has used the floating finish for years....The winning distances are usually in the 290-330 ft area....Once in awhile someone goes over 350 ft..The pullers like it and the crowd likes it....If they didn't like it,pulling would have died a long time ago....Just about all sleds are racing sleds because todays tractors just don't work well with an old time true pulling sled..The old sleds were so hard to get off the line..The days of the true tractor pull died years ago..

Back in the old days some of the M&W pulls had a 500 foot long track...I saw the Allison Team pull 440 ft on one..

Re: Pulling Distances September 15, 2015 12:04PM
As a puller I much prefer to run 320+, anybody that thinks that's harder on parts is wrong. Dragging a heavy boat 300' is far more taxing then running 250' and pulling 75' at the end. Yes it's become more of a race but let's face it, that's want the crowd wants. You must remember we are putting on a show...

Re: Pulling Distances September 15, 2015 02:33PM
Not all fans like the drag race style pulling ,that's where speed limit pulling comes into play. Also you get more pullers and more colors in old school pulling. I pull speed limit classes and 2 years ago pulled 447 ft at 8 mph. Exhaust manifold was so hot you could almost see thru it. When I started going to pulls in central mo in early 70s a normal track was 200 ft . Pulled on a 250 ft track last Saturday nite and nobody was complaining.

Re: Pulling Distances September 15, 2015 03:06PM
The first problem with this thread is you have everyone from just a fan, to an antique puller/fan, to a mod puller/fan weighing in. To each his own, but the modern era of pulling is faster than it was 10-20-30 years ago. I'm not an owner, but do work and occasionally drive a pulling tractor, and my experience is I cringe at how much we are going to tear up on that "slow, can't build any speed" track. I've seen plenty passes at 280' on our data logger that took a longer amount of time then some 340' passes. It's not about how far, or how fast anymore.....its how long it takes to get there. Same with most other auto sports when you compare them to the past 3 decades.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,764, Posts: 229,930, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM