New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 09, 2015 02:44AM
I have been getting some calls from different competitors in the 2.6 Diesel 4WD class about the open driveline rules. Outlaws made the decision to allow open driveline (rear end, drop box, transmission) in this class starting in 2016. We made this decision during the summer as we saw truck after truck break at our events. Outlaws just started offering this 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck class 3 years ago and the numbers of vehicles at events really improved this year with the change of allowing the dual wheels trucks to compete. But just as I feared would happen the breakage increased with the dual wheels. Outlaws original plans was to have the 2.6 class with single wheels to take a load off the driveline and then in the future offer the dual wheel class with the 3.0 turbo and open driveline. With Outlaws having so many double event weekends we could have a diesel truck class at different events on the same weekend and then bring them both together at the bigger events. With a distinct difference in the two classes there would have been good information for the announcer to talk about and the crowd to relate too. With low vehicles numbers that just didn’t work out for us. Now the 2.6 class and 3.0 class will look the same and not sure if we add that class in the future. All associations seen a decline in vehicle count this year in the 2.6 class in our area with all this breakage. It started for us at the Western Farm Show with a good short track as only 1 truck spun out and only two of the 6 made it down the track. With all the rain this year we had extremely good tracks and that compounded the problem along with the dual wheels. With Outlaws having so many 2 and 3 day events along with 2, 3 and 4 day sweeps we just could not keep the trucks on the tracks and it was not fair to our promoters at the tail end of these sweeps and multi-day events. Talking to a lot of our competitors in this class this past summer the open driveline rule will not be a competitive advantage except in the breakage department. With that said competitors that do not change to open driveline rules are still welcome and will have just as good of a chance to win. But the 5 or 6 that wanted to run for points this year and could not make it work with all the breakage can now make changes to make their trucks more reliable for next year as they pursue an OTTPA Championship. A lot of the pullers that have called wanted to get started on the new open driveline setup as soon as possible so that is why a decision was made at this time. I want to thank all the different competitors for their input on these changes. This is a very popular class with our fans and it was great to see our vehicle count at events this year more than double and I look for that trend to do the same again in 2016. The 2016 class purse now is $2500 paying out 10 places at $600 - $475 - $350 - $250 - $200 - $175 - $150 - $125 - $100 - $75. We will have a few events in 2016 with the raised purse of $3500 paying out 10 places at $800 - $650 - $500 - $400 - $325 - $250 - $200 - $150 - $125 - $100. If we see a gain in vehicles in 2016 as we did this year the raised purse will be the minimum purse starting in 2017. Attached is a printable letter.
Thanks, Doug
Attachments:
open | download - OTTPA D4x4 rule changes.pdf (113.6 KB)

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 09, 2015 01:39PM
Good to get this change, and get the information out this soon!

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 09, 2015 02:37PM
It is going to be an interesting offseason. With many other clubs looking to make these same changes scs and pro fab will not be able to come anywhere close to meeting demand for open drive line parts .

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 09, 2015 03:00PM
Won't have to be buying those 1 ton ring & pinions over and over, or try to get those unbreakable 1 ton axle shafts warranteed anymore!
Maybe it'll give PPL a push into allowing open drive lines too.

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 10, 2015 03:56AM
It is being discussed with PPL.

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 10, 2015 04:50AM
Are changing the turbo rule?

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 10, 2015 06:49AM
Doug, open driveline means big front ends correct? what about gutting of cab and bed for 3.0 trucks stepping down thats already been cut out? Lets face it these are pulling trucks, lets make then easy access to adjust clutch/work on with gutting of cab/bed.

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 10, 2015 12:17PM
Sounds like an official announcement for ppl will be coming soon for the 2.6 class. It looks to be 3.0 smooth bore turbos and open driveline. I am sure they will have something official out soon.

As for the gutted cab and box, you can look at the current rules for the Outlaw 2.6 class. I know the box would have been legal this year already.
I am sure Open driveline is exactly what it sounds. Open, no limit on driveline parts.

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 10, 2015 10:18PM
Gutted beds and cab are currently illegal for outlaw and ppl 2.6. If rules are not being enforced why get rid of rules fix the real problem get rid of the tech or person making the rules. The reason these diesel trucks classes are a mess is ppl.

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 11, 2015 03:00AM
I have been following this for over a year now and seeing TONS of guys taking out R&P's and I still have not figured out why the powers that be just aren't cutting back on tire instead of going to unlimited drive train. This all never really was an issue in 2.6 until the advancement in tires a couple years back, super aggressive mud style tires with massive amount of sipes in the thread...add this to dual wheels on the rear and a 26"+ foot print and its no wonder why there are issues. Its was proven along time ago that a DOT tire with siping will hook harder than a "cut" tire and with a combination of duals with single thread width of 13+ inches there is way more contact surface with the duals than even a Cepek or equivalent cut tire. If they were to scrap the ULD rule and go back to a single tire only class it would bring the breakage issue back down to almost nil and would force drivers to actually focus on their driving skills and reading the track. This would also make the class ALOT cheaper to get into if that's at all possible anyway to call it cheap, would not cause a major back log in drive train parts such as drop boxes! Somewhere all this craziness has to stop with the diesel truck classes...currently once they reach power levels where breakage is constantly happening all they do is increasing rules instead of putting a cap on it and making driver the key to surpassing the 300' mark and not the drivers check book or better yet his credit card!

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 11, 2015 03:28AM
Agree totally.

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 11, 2015 03:42PM
Even if they were to back them up to single rears, they would need the open driveline. 1 ton stuff just isn't up to the task!
Cyclone makes drop boxes as well.
I doubt that there will be that much of a backlog, unless all the competitors waits till after Christmas to order, then there could be issues.
But with Doug getting this out there this early, the smart fellers will get their stuff ordered.

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 12, 2015 03:06AM
How do you figure they would need unlimited drivetrain with single tires Actually? I have been around diesel pickup pulling since its beginning back in the late 90's and I have seen just about everything! I have yet to figure out why any single wheel DOT tired truck would ever need anything larger than a 1ton rear or the heaviest of 1ton transfer cases! Those wanting unlimited drivetrain know the benefits of the endless gear ratio's and have $$$. Going back to a single wheel only class would make this class so much more competitive for EVERYONE and like I mentioned above put the results of the pull back in the driver's ability to actually drive the truck! This is no different than any of the gasser 4x4 classes out there or even the tractor classes that have tire size restrictions! With duals and large single chargers that actually snuff the motor instead of spinning out is whats doing the breakage! Back when twins were still legal in the old Super Street (what became 3.0) you hardly ever saw guys breaking R&P's because they were spinning out and not snuffing and both torque and hp at that time were well above 2.6 now and we all had to run 1ton drive train at the time!

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 12, 2015 02:25AM
Traction - I totally agree. This is one reason that we have not allowed dual wheels in our group. We had 5 trucks running in our 2.8 diesel class (75% of our hooks) this year. Keep in mind we run a light and heavy class and I think there was one broken axle shaft between all of these trucks. All running on 1 ton drivelines.

Chris Bouc
MATTPA President
president@mattpa.com
www.mattpa.com
www.facebook.com/gomattpa

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 12, 2015 03:04AM
Being a 2.8 class though wouldn't the power be around 1/2 to maybe 2/3s of what a top 2.6 truck is running? Comparing 2.8 to 2.6 is like comparing apples to oranges. Single tires will not fix the issue 2.5 guys running singles still having major breakage. 1 ton parts were not meant to hold this kind of power. Open driveline gives no competitive advantage it's all for reliability so that we can make every hoOK through our seasons.

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 12, 2015 03:08AM
How do you figure they would need unlimited drivetrain with single tires Actually? I have been around diesel pickup pulling since its beginning back in the late 90's and I have seen just about everything! I have yet to figure out why any single wheel DOT tired truck would ever need anything larger than a 1ton rear or the heaviest of 1ton transfer cases! Those wanting unlimited drivetrain know the benefits of the endless gear ratio's and have $$$. Going back to a single wheel only class would make this class so much more competitive for EVERYONE and like I mentioned above put the results of the pull back in the driver's ability to actually drive the truck! This is no different than any of the gasser 4x4 classes out there or even the tractor classes that have tire size restrictions! With duals and large single chargers that actually snuff the motor instead of spinning out is whats doing the breakage! Back when twins were still legal in the old Super Street (what became 3.0) you hardly ever saw guys breaking R&P's because they were spinning out and not snuffing and both torque and hp at that time were well above 2.6 now and we all had to run 1ton drive train at the time!

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 12, 2015 03:45AM
Falling under the turbo is easier on the driveline that spinning out. I'm not sure where your from but these trucks are not falling under turbos. I wouldnt consider a 2.6 turbo a large turbo either as its only a midframe turbo. One big problem is ring & pinions are very low quality as of late because of manufacturers trying to cheapen them up to save money. The gears do still break on a single tire. But another problem is chassis setup. You can setup the truck to be consistent or go for every last inch. So when your truck breaks don't cry about it you have the option to change the truck. Don't take it out on everyone else because you don't have the ability.

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 12, 2015 04:40AM
Drop the hitch, throw 500lbs off.

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 12, 2015 03:26PM
Been around 4wd pulling for a while.
1 ton driveline should be gone when the rules let gasses get over 800 horsepower, about 20 years ago.
The grease burner trucks are making way more power, and heaps more torque.
Keep on dreaming if you think there was only one axle shaft broken in your "group". The only way that is true, is if you all are running weak engines. Bias tires @ 33" tall, and 24" or less of hitch height and only weigh 6000 lbs, and pull in sand.

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 12, 2015 03:35PM
I find the attitude displayed in your last sentence to be overwhelmingly prevalent in the diesel truck world and the swagger and machismo does wear thin. Step outside your own bumpers for a minute. Don't think about what YOU have or what YOU can build. Look at the sport more globally. What is wrong with a tire limit? You cannot break what you cannot hook up because there will not be the torque stresses placed. You will have to learn to adapt, read a track, and drive. You levy the argument about not knowing how? There's a difference in knowing how to drive and how to open a billfold. Been done over and over and over in pulling. Open drivelines allow unlimited ratio selection and the ability to push forward even more until you find the next part that breaks... I fear that just might be somewhere between the crank and the Tcase and it won't be pretty.

What done is done, and PPL and others will follow certainly. My opinion is 4 DOT 35 X 12.5s are much cheaper than all the TIG welders running on overtime.

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 12, 2015 01:07PM
Good job Outlaws!

Re: New 2.6 Diesel 4WD Truck rules October 12, 2015 04:19PM
I've been around this sport 20 years helping a close friend build a couple gas pro stock trucks and now my own diesel, we ran cooperate gm 14 bolt, then went to Dana 80 as the HP in the motors got bigger, destroyed them on several occasions mostly from a rough bounce or hard spin out. This was on single 33" dot tires, and a 6200 lb truck, then someone figured out that the Rockwell 106 was on 1 ton factory bread truck and also the d100, this is now the axle or third member of choice and little to no breakage week after week, that being said it's bad enough the money and time spent to build an engine keep it maintained and the high cost of turbos to be working on drivetrains constantly no matter what truck it is, we are building dedicated pulling trucks, not play one out two weekend street drivers. IMO there should have been an rear axle change out rule years ago

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,721, Posts: 229,845, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,972.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro