Unlimiteds on RFDTV October 13, 2015 03:29PM
Watched the episode of NTPA on RFDTV tonight. What was the person trying to do getting between the tractor and the sled when Archer ran in the pulloff? Good thing Larry pulled him/her out of there!

Re: Unlimiteds on RFDTV October 14, 2015 12:01AM
Pic

Question October 15, 2015 10:57AM
From what I saw, she had been on the track next to the sled when the green light, and since he was starting I would say green flag came out.
My question is, why was the green flag given when she was standing next to the sled? Granted she should not have gone between the tractor and sled, but how many times have you seen that? Her expectation would have been that the green flag would not have come out when she was still on the track or on the starting line.
Seems the new rule should have the additional added, Green flag will not be given when anyone is on the starting line or track other than the flagman.

Re: Question October 16, 2015 05:10AM
Starting flag is on opposite side of tractor and the Pioneer is pretty big. Once flag is displayed, you don't expect someone to walk in behind the puller. There is more to the story than what is seen ( matter of perspective). JW

Re: Question October 16, 2015 10:09AM
As a life long pulling fan and attendee of the WI DSN, I was sitting in the stands on that side and remember it like it was yesterday. She was behind the stop while he was getting hooked came out and tried to point something out to Larry. While this was going on in a matter of seconds, the tractor tightens the chain, the light on the sled us already on, in my opinion he shouldn't have had it on yet since there were crew members still on the track. Since the flagmen was on the opposite side he couldn't see what was going on. Just at that time she started to go between the sled and tractor with all green flags out. As mentioned, Larry saved her life and what could've been the worst pulling accident since the Walsh incident and probably put a stop to pulling the rest of the weekend and possibly beyond. I'm glad this is being addressed and only hope for many great years of pulling to come. Already can't wait for 2016!

Re: Unlimiteds on RFDTV October 14, 2015 12:12AM
Better yet, why is the green light on?

Re: Unlimiteds on RFDTV October 14, 2015 12:54AM
The green light was on because the sled was already underway. Why she decided to run back to the tractor is purely speculative. If it hadn't been for Larry's alertness and fast actions the ending to this situation could have been very different. Great job by Larry for being aware of the action and area around the starting line. I believe one of the new NTPA rules may have been a result of the incident.

General Rules:
1.No crew member, helper or anyone else allowed behind, in front of or within 5 ft of the front of the sled (buckboard) or chain area while a vehicle is backing up to, hooking or unhooking from the sled other than the hook-unhook personnel or the track officials.

Re: Unlimiteds on RFDTV October 14, 2015 02:54AM
My wife and I were setting in the pullers starting line bleatchers that night and Mrs Archer had been up on the sled behind the buck board looking in to see if the tractor hade been hooked corectly. And it looked as if she might not been able to see because of darkness and decided to go in for a closer look between the sled and tractor.
If you watch Daves first pass you will notice here up behind the buck board on his first run also. When I heard the tractor starting to throttle up to leave and could see her in there my heart sank. I am very glad and she is very lucky that Larry never took his eye off of her and jerked her out of the way.

Re: Unlimiteds on RFDTV October 17, 2015 12:16AM
I have always wondered why at the GN level there isn't a flagman on each side of both the stating and finish line. For safety sake alone I believe that a person on each side of the track would allow the flagman to not have to cross in front of a moving pulling vehicle trying to see both sides of the track. This would also give a clear view to both sides of the track for any chalk line violation.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Unlimiteds on RFDTV October 17, 2015 06:50AM
You make a great point Dick. What would happen if you have a tractor or truck with a head of steam and the hitch were to break and you happen to have a flagman running in front of the vehicle. He was running to check to see the other side of the vehicle and he get hit when the hitch breaks. Yes it could happen with the speed of vechicles nowdays. 8000 pounds in motion is hard to stop!!!!! Just my thoughts. 4 flag man per track at all GN events

Re: Unlimiteds on RFDTV October 14, 2015 12:56AM
So that's why thy the new rule for 2016,somebody wasn't paying attention,could of been real bad

Re: Unlimiteds on RFDTV October 14, 2015 01:48AM
I saw that....That looked like Mrs Archer? and she's lucky to be alive..

Re: Unlimiteds on RFDTV October 14, 2015 04:58AM
Anyone have the video?

Re: Unlimiteds on RFDTV October 14, 2015 05:15AM
Link to video

Re: Unlimiteds on RFDTV October 14, 2015 05:46AM
Wow, that is scary.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009