prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 25, 2015 12:22PM
A few years ago, the PPL rulebook had the alcohol light supers limited to 505 cubes, and if I remember correctly- diesels were allowed 650 or so. Has that been dissolved now to where all fuels are limited to 505, or are diesels still allowed in the class if they are over cubed? Curious how a prostock engine with good components would fair against the smaller alkies...

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 26, 2015 01:55AM
It never allowed diesels to be over 505 cubic inch.

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 26, 2015 03:12AM
Really? Was it ever stated in the NTPA rule book then? I could swear there was a cubic inch difference in one of my old rule books, but it must be removed now.

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 26, 2015 04:03AM
Ive never known of any LSS class that would allow over 505. I like the sound of a prostock at 6200 lbs though.

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 26, 2015 05:24AM
I think it was Dick Morgan that mentioned the possibility of doing it a few years back. I cant find that thread though. The question was how to get diesels to compete with the alkies in the light super class. I will continue to dig for that thread. At the time it seemed like a possibility, however the cost would be rather high.

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 26, 2015 05:33AM
The Outlaws allow a 640ci p-pump 4.1 turbo combination in their light super stock class (cast iron rear ends).

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 26, 2015 05:58AM
Sorry read it too fast. That was NTPA. Not sure on the PPL thing.

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 26, 2015 05:35AM
The 2010 PPL rulebook listed diesels at 650 and alkies at 504 for the light class.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2015 05:35AM by jkloda.

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 26, 2015 05:43AM
Thank you, Sir- I was beginning to question my sanity. Now that rule has been changed? Or has it simply gone away slowly because it didn't apply to any tractors currently competing?

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 26, 2015 06:09AM
Somewhere between 2010 and 2015 the language was changed to 504 cubic inch limit without fuel specification. I don't have any insight on the why.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2015 06:44AM by jkloda.

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 26, 2015 09:04AM
the fellows with alcohol didn't like the difference and campaigned to change the rule. I would have liked to see someone try with the big motor to keep up but it never happened; I never understood the need for the rule change since no one had tried to make it happen outside of lp back in the atpa days

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 26, 2015 11:33AM
There was a JD4010 called "The Bad" that tried it with the Outlaws in the early 2000's it was a full Pro Stock motor at the time that was lightened up to run the Lite Super. Only got to watch it run in the lite class once, looked like a wild ride, but put on a nice show!

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 26, 2015 11:41AM
In ESP light class there's a 3208 cat pro stock motor running in light super chassis. It runs really well and blows the tires off easily, too easily. If he could ever hook it up it would be impressive and competitive I think.

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 26, 2015 02:12PM
How big was it ol George. It ran really well with them.

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 26, 2015 06:57PM
Larry Phillips,Mike Savey an Randy Payne were big cubes on three chargers back in the ATPA days,pretty sure all were over 500 cubes,that was back before Larry an Randy went component,a lot of technology sence then,and Larry and Randy we're still diesels.

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 26, 2015 02:26PM
just my opinion but good luck getting any pro motor even 600 cubes to hook up at that weight

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 27, 2015 12:19AM
It would be cool to see a top running Pro Stock motor in light super with about a 10 or 12 to 1 gear,would be very interesting.

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 27, 2015 12:46AM
I might just do it. I have the component chassis, and its pretty light. 30.5 pullers, mag planetaries and billit center with SCS franklin carriers. All of my engine parts are Prostock parts. Could try it, and hook without points just to see how it would do. Lots of things to try as far as getting it to hook. Longer drawbar, weighting, tires and pressure just like any other class. I have a 5 speed profab, and 3.79 ring and pinion. My high side would be about 14:1 final drive ratio. I know the rules would exclude me, and I wont pass it off as being legal for points or glory. Just something that has been pondered for a while. I'm not in the game to claim a spot in the record books, just looking for another adrenaline rush. If it doesn't work, I'm not out much. Just add a pair of chargers on top and pull DSS with big cubes and two boost stages. Confused

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 27, 2015 04:22AM
Back in the ATPA days Larry Phillips,Mike Davey,an Randy Payne all tried running big cubes an 3 chargers,and couldn't get it done,but a lot has changed sence then,Larry an Randy both component now,it would be very interesting.

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 27, 2015 04:24AM
Mike Savey,sry

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 27, 2015 04:59AM
I believe Don and Kevin Masterson talked about running a Pro Stock Motor in the light class years ago. Wish they would of.

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 27, 2015 05:44AM
I believe the outlaw 2010 points champion was a big cube single charger diesel. To see that happen now would be cool.

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 27, 2015 06:28AM
The biggest thing is to get it hooked fast and have a fast gear. Your going to need to be 13.1/13.5 as the fastest, then a 14. The advantage for Alky tractors are that the sleds start easy, and let you get momentum. With their ability to turn RPM they get good ground speed, and that allows them to drag it at the end. You have to do the same.

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 28, 2015 03:17AM
I have found that a 3.55 ratio ring and pinion is available for the sqhd carrier. 3.55 with 4:1 planetaries and my top gear that is 12% overdrive in the ProFab (.88) nets a final drive ratio of 12.5:1. With my 3.70 ring and pinion set, the final drive ratio hits right around 13:1. Sounds like a good place to start.

Re: prostock diesel engine in a light super class.... October 28, 2015 02:15PM
I wish you luck. it would be interesting

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,639, Posts: 229,705, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520