3406b what to look for November 01, 2015 10:58PM
Looking at buying a truck/hauler with a 3406b cat engine. What are the common issues with this engine that I could look for when I take a look at the truck? Pros Cons? any info would be helpful good or bad Thanks in advance

Re: 3406b what to look for November 02, 2015 02:02AM
if it's one of the later model 3406b's make sure it doesn't have the PEEC fuel system on it. those were know to be problematic and a lot were converted over to manual. the only con to the motor is its more expensive to work on, but not really by that much as all the manufacturers have figured out they can charge whatever they want for parts. plus the aftermarket availability of parts has gotten a whole lot better and is much cheaper than getting them from CAT. other than that I would take it over the cummins and detroits of that era. they were the toughest most reliable motor out there in my experience and a nice bonus is you can really throw the power to a stock 3406 and not worry about hurting the life of the motor which was not the case for the other brands.

Re: 3406b what to look for November 02, 2015 02:27AM
What year did that fuel system exist on these engines? This engine is in a Peterbilt thanks

Re: 3406b what to look for November 02, 2015 02:52AM
Mid 90s if it has the PEEC fuel system it will be a mechanical cat pump but it has an electronic throttle control in the governor housing, there will not be a throttle linkage hooked to the pump. They worked ok and gave you cruise control but when they have a problem with that control unit it is expensive.

Re: 3406b what to look for November 02, 2015 02:59AM
^^what truck fixer said. I have seen some PEEC stuff on late 80s model trucks, but that's really rare. It was almost all in the 90s maybe early 90s some and almost all on the 3406C models. I'll never understand Cat's system of what got what. I had a '94 model truck with a factory fully mechanical 3406C, but knew people with earlier 90s model trucks that had the PEEC. Go figure.

Re: 3406b what to look for November 02, 2015 03:10AM
This is a 1989 Peterbilt. 3406b I'm told. It looks really clean Im told it has 700K on it an was in framed. Are head gaskets an issue with these? Anything else I should look for? Thanks in advance

Re: 3406b what to look for November 02, 2015 03:18AM
Head gaskets aren't really an issue unless something's wrong. If it's had an in frame that's pretty early most of the time those motors were million milers before needing an overhaul. You should be good for years to come.

Re: 3406b what to look for November 02, 2015 05:58AM
PEEC was available from around 89 on, they built these engines along side the full mechanicals. PEEC engine serial numbers, will start with 8TC, 2EK, 5YG, and 4CK.

Full mechanicals would have been 7FB, 4MG, 3ZJ, and 8TC.

Re: 3406b what to look for November 02, 2015 06:35AM
The engines are identical then other the electronic fuel governor? Is there anything else I should look for when looking at the Truck/engine? thanks

Re: 3406b what to look for November 02, 2015 07:41AM
Yes the engines themselves are the same just the fuel system is different. I would just check the basic stuff: make sure there isn't excessive blow by, check the oil and make sure there's no water in it, and make sure the coolant looks ok and it hasn't been puking it out. Other than that just make sure it cranks ok cold and runs/drives good.

Re: 3406b what to look for November 08, 2015 12:20AM
The 3406 is pretty much bullet proof. I've been using them in my trucks for 20 year with great service. Change the oil every 10,000. The injectors every 100,000 and bearings every 250,000 and they will go a million plus miles. If you call any cat dealer with the engine serial number they can tell u anything that has been done in its life. I would recommend you sample the oil before u buy. If the seller will not do it walk away. For $25 it is cheap insurance. I average 6 mpg with mine. I feel they are the best truck engine made.

Re: 3406b what to look for November 02, 2015 08:24AM
Without getting into all the gritty details the simple answer is yes, a PEEC can be converted to full mechanical with the right parts.

There are other differences between the B and C versions but that gets pretty involved.

Re: 3406b what to look for November 04, 2015 02:58PM
May ask him when the rods were done (get proof), I think they need to be done every 250K.
Also if you put a turbo off a 460E motor (direct bolt on, and Cat will take core from 3406Cool It'll help the 3406B out tremendously...

Re: 3406b what to look for November 05, 2015 11:34AM
There are better and less expensive update chargers to bolt on and keep your old core. As posted earlier Rods and Mains would be a concern and liner O-rings, If there has been work with paperwork it would be helpful. Liner O-rings and bearings would be my biggest concern. Liners O-rings will most often go first so keep an eye on oil and pull a sample from time to time. If you are running it all the time it's better than letting it set for months on end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2015 10:35AM by Doug Meissinger.

Re: 3406b what to look for November 06, 2015 12:40AM
Right now I'm looking to get the truck home. Not looking to upgrade anything just don't want the truck to let me sit, I need to drive it like 900 miles home and it has not been used much over the past year. And I really don't need a pile of scrap iron either.

Re: 3406b what to look for September 11, 2023 10:26PM
Hi there. You mentioned in your ad to you a turbo off a 460E. My question is , is that a ford 460 E diesel engine. Or are you refering to another engine. Can you help me out. My 3406b is I thing rated at 425hp. And I was looking to increase it ..any input would be appreciated, also the odometer is broken. And not sure of actual mileage , what do you recommend. A shop to do a compression check. ?

Re: 3406b what to look for September 11, 2023 10:39PM
Hilltop Hauls 65
Hi there. You mentioned in your ad to you a turbo off a 460E. My question is , is that a ford 460 E diesel engine. Or are you refering to another engine. Can you help me out. My 3406b is I think rated at 425hp. And I was looking to increase it ..any input would be appreciated, also the odometer is broken. And not sure of actual mileage , what do you recommend. A shop to do a compression check. ?

Re: 3406b what to look for November 07, 2015 10:52PM
I had an 89 Pete with the 3406b in it and we changed out the crank bearings every 250K. The engine ran a long time. Sold it at 800K and I know it ran for years after that.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,721, Posts: 229,845, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,972.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro