282 international December 11, 2015 06:17PM
I've got a 282 international engine from a 656 international I'm wanting to build to pull are there any other internal components from a bigger engine that will fit this engine with out a lot of trouble I'm not looking for a lot of horse power something in the 175 to 180 range any help wis appreciated I'm new to internationals thanx

Re: 282 international December 12, 2015 09:40AM
better find a different engine, that will be a grenade for sure, head problems and only 4 mains = big boom save your money

Re: 282 international December 12, 2015 10:31AM
To bullet proof it will cost, Depends on your rules, RPM"s ? No matter what, the cup injectors will be your shortcomming. There maybe someone out there who has come up with something if so respond. As far as supporting the lower end I use a 2" girdle tied to the billet mains. The upper side has one less head bolt than the gas c301 so keeping it sealed can be a problem. We use copper head gasket, wire O ring in head and receiver grove in block, ARP studs.

Re: 282 international December 12, 2015 10:39AM
You won't need all what I said above if your running stock rpm's. We ran 6700rpm's with 12 to 1 compression ratio on alcohol NA. (no turbo). Stock compression ratio on that engine I believe as most diesel engines is 17 ti 1.

Re: 282 international December 13, 2015 12:42AM
I am just going to be pulling at our local pulls and probably won't be over 3500 rpms I was just wondering if any other stock international pistons and sleeves will fit this block with a little machine work maybe like a dt361 or 466 thanks for the helpful advice

Re: 282 international December 13, 2015 01:38AM
I've run a D282 for years in the farm class and for a while in the profiled class. the only real problem I have is the head gasket issue and probably what ed shoobridge recommended would probably help that issue on the top end. I have just toleratred the issue but am working on doing some changing such as oringing, ect. As long as you stay under 3000 rpms you shouldn't have any lower end issues. If you are going to turn over 3000 rpms don't be a fool and run stock flywheels in the ta or clutch, PUT IN A STEEL setup with blankets on BOTH areas. you can probably get more cubes by having some custom piston/sleeves built. You can help the injector issue with some early ford diesel pu injector retrofitted to the stock injectors holders.

Re: 282 international December 13, 2015 03:22AM
Good to know about the Early Ford pu injector. Knew someone had to try something that may have worked and I agree what you said above. As far as other pistons U will find the dt361 or 466 pistons will have too big pins for stock rods. Don't go over 4" with bore and have block sonic tested for thickness and core shift from the foundry. I have found inconsistentness and the results will show your machine shop what thickness they have to work with. You may consider filling the block to the water pump holes and running coolent through the top of the block only. Custom pistons are easy, The bore is the same as small block automotive. Good Luck. ps I just thought of another option. Find a D301 (only used in a combine and is same casting as D282) only no sleeves so u have no counter bore to deal with.

Re: 282 international December 13, 2015 04:11AM
I built a pair of 301 turbo diesels. Both have o-ringed heads and Clark copper head gaskets with ARP head studs. Both have been running without issues.

Re: 282 international December 16, 2015 04:00AM
I have a d301 with 400 series injectors, girdled, turn 6,000 rpm, de compressed, hard blocked, turbo, arp head studs no issues .

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,780, Posts: 229,959, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,042.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009