Which class to join? January 03, 2016 01:28AM
Looking into getting back into pulling after several years away from the sport. Around my area you have a choice of Hot Farm, Super Farm, and Limited Pro Stock. Super Farm and Limited pro Stock run together most nights. I understand that it is cheaper to buy a used unit than to build one or get one built, but I dont even know what a tractor in each class would cost me to buy used. What I was wondering is which class is the best choice for someone that has pulled more stock shows years ago, and might not have 200k to spend on a toy like this? Which class gives you the best bang for buck? I'm not naive enough to think 10k is gonna get me anywhere, but would like some opinions on which class to try to find a used tractor for.

Re: Which class to join? January 03, 2016 02:34AM
You can buy the MX255 limited light pro stock on pulloff for sale page for $50,000. Probably buy a decent superfarm for $70 -80,000.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2016 02:36AM by Treadstone.

Re: Which class to join? January 03, 2016 07:07AM
Your best bang for buck will be a SF. Several reasons to justify that answer.
1.) Rules are consistent across the country and minimal changing if at all if you want to travel eventually or import a tractor from a different part of the country.
2.) At the end of a year you still have a tractor!!! Sf motors will take a lot of abuse and still be useable after several passes. All classes can say that to a degree if built correctly, I know, but obviously that comes with a big $$$.
3.) The rides between the classes are very similar. Yes, I agree a Pro Stock will feel different that a SF, but for the most part time down the track is similar.
4.) Cost to maintain once you have built it CAN be marginal. Depends how much you want to upgrade and if you don't mind buying somebody's good used parts.
5.) SF are very user friendly. Novice mechanics in the class to very experienced.
6.) Very competitive class across the country!
7.) Parts availability....largest class across the country.
8.) They put on a good show.....Some will disagree I am sure.

The chap above is trying to sell his tractor. Not bashing, but need more info to justify a $50k purchase (It sounds as though as it sits it does not fit either SF or light Pro Stock). SF can be bought much cheaper that the 70-80k figure. They are out there just need to do some searching. Used parts are there as well and you can put a very competitive tractor together!

Re: Which class to join? January 03, 2016 08:07AM
If you're gonna run superfarm with Region ll NTPA and expect to be competitive you're gonna have to spend some real money. Billet crank, deck plate ,latest injection pump from whomever at least 14ml plungers, puller 2000 tires,latest charger from Harts or whomever,etc. I think a top 5 or even a top 10 SF in Bowling Green ,Ohio would fetch all of 80,000 and a bit more.
I guess depends somewhat on what the competition is like in your area.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2016 08:19AM by Treadstone.

Re: Which class to join? January 03, 2016 10:07AM
Yes, the above parts are what you will need to be competitive (less billet crank, not necessary depending on cui, etc...smaller cube motors have been en vogue lately). Now lets talk light/limited pro. You will need a billet crank. etc, etc....just as you stated above to be competitive in the Region 2 light pro class or the Full Pull Limited pro class (both 540). The difference is at the end of the year the SF will still be running and the light pro/limited pro will require some work if you are pushing them hard. If you are ok with mid pack a 540 built correctly will last a long time. Of course, their are exceptions to this. Some have gotten by for extended periods of time without billet cranks and billet rods, but eventually fatigue sets in and you are buying a new block among other things.

If you think you are going to bolt a 4.3 charger on that MX255 and be competitive in light pro, you are incorrect. At 50k it may be a good buy, but to run a 540 light pro or limited pro with Full Pull it is not quite equipped. I guess it depends on your competition.

Re: Which class to join? January 03, 2016 11:29AM
Don't recall saying what the MX needed . Just was presenting an option that one could go a couple different ways with. However no reason she couldn"t compete in the NTPA light pro class with an updated fuel system and a bigger charger. The motor is there , good pistons, good sleeves decent rods,bottom end girdled, head work is done , valve train all good parts.
Anyway currently set up with a 3x4 charger to run a light limited prostock class.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009