Dry Block January 17, 2016 08:35AM
I'm building a 466 with a 3+3 and a P pump curious what guys think about a dry block see a lot of guys doing it. Pros and cons. How much longer does it take to cool down???

Re: Dry Block January 17, 2016 08:38AM
Can you run stock pistons and liners with a dry block without changing clearances?

Re: Dry Block January 18, 2016 11:59AM
Alot of guys are doing it cuz of heads getting thin and leaking. It's not that big of a deal to cool down. Pull frost plugs to let heat out. Some guys pit blowers on them. On the stock sleeves and pistons I don't know about that one. I've been curious on it too.

Re: Dry Block January 18, 2016 01:30PM
I would clearance more for dry block, if you look at past post on this subject, there isn't a formula per inch of piston on clearances.

Re: Dry Block January 19, 2016 12:34AM
That doesn't really answer the guys question. He is wondering if you can clearance stock parts and will they work for dry block.

Re: Dry Block January 19, 2016 12:51AM
I run a dry block with a filled head. Honestly, I run used pistons that I have decompressed and valve reliefs cut in. No problems. There are a few things to consider though. Piston material and sleeve material have a lot to do with whether or not your engine will survive. Stock ductile iron type sleeves will not act the same as steel sleeves when subjected to extreme heat. Billit pistons will react differently than run of the mill stock pistons. My advise, fwit, is you can get by just fine with used factory parts that have some normal wear without any trouble. If you are looking to install a new engine kit, I personally would have my sleeves honed out and extra 3-5 thousands.

Re: Dry Block January 19, 2016 12:52AM
We are doing a dry block now. Stock pistons will not work as they will expand to much. I would talk to someone like Ross or Diamond for a true answer on this. We were told alot of different things but those guys have the experience to know how much.

Re: Dry Block January 19, 2016 01:49AM
Personally I favor the dry block. They are virtually trouble free. They are better served to be used in a situation where they aren't pulled in multiple classes per night. They will reliably make a pass in a pulloff situation but i would recommend putting on a little extra water for the next pass. Biggest advantage in 466 class to dry is convenience and less underhood clutter.

In a 466 IH you can run stock pistons in used sleeves with no additional clearancing. Just keep in mind there is a limit to what the stock piston will endure.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,773, Posts: 229,940, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,029.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009