IH 1256 hydraulic issues January 22, 2016 03:38AM
My friends 1256 ih quit working on him the other day its his TMR tractor. The fall before last he had the PTO completely rebuilt as well as the MC. Now he has barely any steering and the pto will spin but you can stop it by hand. I changed the engine oil and hyd filters the oil cans had brown and silver metal in the bottom of them and the hydraulic fluid was milky green. But it left the shop just fine last winter now its down again. Any help to get pointed I'm the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks Al

Re: IH 1256 hydraulic issues January 22, 2016 04:15AM
How are the remotes and 3pt working?

If they aren't working basically at all either your problem is most likely the ipto shaft/pressure plate drive hub in the clutch.

Re: IH 1256 hydraulic issues January 24, 2016 03:02PM
I agree, the drive spline on the PPA and or the IPTO input shaft is worn out.. IF there is water or solid contamination in the hydraulic oil the pickup screen for the PTO and the main hydraulic filter can become clogged and shut the system down too.. I would change hydraulic oil to something better than Cennex oil but that is just my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2016 03:09PM by gonzo 1066.

Re: IH 1256 hydraulic issues January 25, 2016 09:33AM
Like they said the IPTO drive is probably shot if it's on a TMR wagon all the time. Put Hy-Tran in it! It's expensive but well worth it, it's about the only oil that discapates moisture and saves a lot of headaches in the winter with hydraulic filters freezing/plugging

Re: IH 1256 hydraulic issues January 27, 2016 12:46AM
Hi-Tran Hi-Tran Hi-Tran it's a lot more expensive but It will save you a lot of unneccessary headackes. I know it cost a lot more but it's worth it. It's not the solution but it's part of the equation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2016 12:47AM by farmall puller.

Re: IH 1256 hydraulic issues January 27, 2016 06:18AM
it could be the spool came loose .lift rubber seal on spool and see if I came loose ( where you pull it in on top of pto )if its loose you will see a lot of threads and pressure has dropped its time to ovh ; just needs new plates or your snap ring could have popped out hope it helps

Re: IH 1256 hydraulic issues February 04, 2016 10:22AM
you said no steering so as the other guys have suggested your IPTO gear either in the pressure plate or from transmission may be stripped out and not driving your pumps.It drives all your pumps. mcv pump, hitch pump and pto pump. that most likely the problem since the pto and steering both quit. Split the tractor and you will now. when you remove your clutch access cover below the clutch you may see metal shavings. that would be a real good sign of the problem. If you do replace the pto gear,replace the nose cone also with the bearing. If its lose you will have an oil leak below your clutch. any questions call Floyd Isbell 570 637 1311

Re: IH 1256 hydraulic issues February 04, 2016 01:38PM
if I recall correctly Floyd can't you ck the IPTO gears from underneith the tractor by pulling the bottom plate from the bottom of the midsection or is my memory telling me wrong? or even pulling the MVC plate from the side of the tractor?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2016 01:39PM by farmall puller.

Re: IH 1256 hydraulic issues February 05, 2016 05:17AM
There's a sheet metal cover under the clutch housing, just two bolts hold it on, you can see the flywheel & pressure plate thru there. While you can't directly see the splines on the IPTO gear into the pressure plate, you can look for metal shavings in there, as its probably also dirty black from clutch dust & oil residue. If you see metal shavings also, its a safe bet the splines on the IPTO are stripped

Re: IH 1256 hydraulic issues February 05, 2016 01:37PM
That's a good place to start by cking the clutch spines but where I was pointing at is the bottom plate on the center section or the MVC plate should give some access to the gearing in the front of the center section. Pull that lower plate and if you have pieces and part there you can be sure you have a problem.

Re: IH 1256 hydraulic issues February 05, 2016 01:52PM
If there is a tooth missing there it will sound like a rod is about to come out of it

Re: IH 1256 hydraulic issues UPDATE: February 07, 2016 07:41AM
First off guys a huge thanks to all of you for help and input I know its been awhile but we have been mad busy and the 1256 got put on the back burner but I went and checked it out the other day an this is what I saw. Pulled the 2 9/16s bolts off the bottom clutch/flywheel door and did not see any metal shavings I looked up with a flashlight and the splines looked ok but is hard to tell. The tractor does move foward and reverse and it started to try to steer a little bit the pto did not engage or turn there was water bubbling out from underneath the rear end of the rockshaft cover in a few spots when the tractor was running I pulled the dipstick to the rear end and its safe to say it was way over full with shamerock shake milky green hydraulic fluid.

Re: IH 1256 hydraulic issues UPDATE: February 08, 2016 02:56AM
That Shamrock shake is VERY hard to pump, If it is cold where you are you can bet that the hydraulic filter is plugged. This alone will prevent the system from working. Sounds like you may have issues with the IPTO splines also. CHANGE hydraulic fluid and use HyTran oil. Its more expensive but it also absorbs water in the oil.

Re: IH 1256 hydraulic issues UPDATE: February 08, 2016 07:54AM
I'll do my best to try to convince him to spend the coin on the good stuff this time. My buddy squeaks when he walks so its going to take some convincing but I'm confident. I told him he had water in his rear end and he looked baffled he doesn't understand how water got in there from sitting out in the open an from only running it a few days out of the week

Re: IH 1256 hydraulic issues UPDATE: February 09, 2016 12:43AM
The tractors I run every few days I never have any hyd issues with, it's the one's that set for a while and then get used a day or two and then set again for a while (I mean 3 or 4 weeks or more) are the one's that give trouble and it's always a moisture issue. My tractors almost always are inside unless I'm working away from home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2016 12:45AM by farmall puller.

Re: IH 1256 hydraulic issues UPDATE: February 10, 2016 01:25AM
Got it in the shop drained out all the hydraulic fluid/shamrock shake changed filters and its on its way back down for another year. Couldn't convince the owner to go with anything other then cenex hyd fluid so if you see a 1256 pop up on craigslist stvay away

Re: IH 1256 hydraulic issues UPDATE: February 10, 2016 02:44AM
Glad that you got it fixed,,

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,721, Posts: 229,848, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,975.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro