Video Technique Tips Needed May 20, 2009 02:35PM
Trying to give my wife a new job this year to video our pulls. I have seen some great pulling videos and some pretty crappy ones too. Can anybody give me some suggestions that work well for you. Do you like to set up at the start, mid track or finish line? Do you start out with a tight shot or get the whole track in the picture? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Wayne

Re: Video Technique Tips Needed May 20, 2009 03:01PM
One thing I have noticed in our videos is that if you tape from the end you get no sense of speed or distance.

Best vids for us have been at the 270-280 ft mark and off the track a bit to get that 3rd dimension. Some great video and picture guys frequent this page, I would assume you could get some great advice on this subject.

Also practice makes perfect and I need more practice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2009 06:04PM by AV.

Re: Video Technique Tips Needed May 21, 2009 04:45AM
I typically set up at 300 or 310. Some tracks have visual obsticles past the Full Pull. What I have noticed filming in other locations is the speed with which you have to pan. Also while panning you have to reverse the zoom and got back out. A good quality tripod helps greatly.

I start with a very tight zoom because a lot of things can happen right on the starting line and missing the shot is very dissapointing. When at mid track I try to be a bit wider because things are happening faster and easier to capture. The most important thing IMO to learn is to always focus on the view screen. No matter what happens always keep your eyes on the view screen or those timeless moments when something happens will be missed. Setting up behind a safe barrier helps when a vehicle or parts are rolling toward you, who wants to watch a video where the money shot is dirt, air or a shakey blur. Running a tight (zoomed in) pic may show up better if you upload to a streaming site that uses a small screen. the tractor will be large enough to view. Wide screen views from mid track give you a show but doesn't allow you to study the attitude of the tractor and both tires, IMO. Lastly, a light touch on the tripod and zoom button helps keep a steady picture when a detonation hits you in the chest and ear drums. If and when you have a knee jerk reaction, it may not even be noticed on film. Just my rookie observations.

Re: Video Technique Tips Needed May 21, 2009 04:58AM
Thanks for the tips.

Crutch, I think that you hit the nail on the head when you said to keep your eyes on the viewer. Some of the best videos were taken when the photographer is totally into his job, and actually missed the entire pull until he gets to re-watch it on screen at home. It's a thank less job, but pays big dividends to a puller who is trying to analylize his performance. I know that it will take some practice to back out of the zoom as the tractor is coming toward you at 25mph, but I think that my wife is up to the challenge.

Another cool view is the rollbar camera, but I have heard that it picks up distortion from the chassis.

Re: Video Technique Tips Needed May 21, 2009 05:07AM
I've veen looking at a roll bar cam but can't get past a couple problems. The camera needs to keep its point of ref at the end of track. Looking in the sky at night isn't any good even if the hood is still in fram. Isolating the vibrations is the other issue. I can build a swivel mount that would keep it parallel to the ground but making it shock proof would require a lot of experimenting.

Re: Video Technique Tips Needed May 21, 2009 11:44AM
Crutch hit most of the details I try for. Sometimes if there is an open type bleacher a position on the top row works well preferrably at an end rail. This sometimes will get you clear of the other crews that like to gather trackside and block your shot. For this position I use a 2x spin-on lens with 10x built in to camera. Setting up around 300ft lets you go continuous wide and then maybe a little zoom in on shutdown. I like to freehold and use the viewfinder with no tripod.

Re: Video Technique Tips Needed May 21, 2009 02:03PM
Good points Crutch. 300 ft line is ideal mostly. That is where I shoot from. Zoom tight as possible in my book is best through the whole run with a delicate touch on the zoom button. Nothing more aggrevating than a jerky (so to speak) zoom action. I always look for a side of the track with less obstruction as possible, ie: where are maintenance equipment gonna sit while the vehicle is running, where are the track workers gonna stand, etc. Also, always look which side you think will have the best lighting. Unless you are using a Prosumer or better camcorder, you want all the light behind you that you can get. I recently purchased a Canon GL2 and lighting isn't that big of an issue now. Of course you need to be a rocket scientist to learn the damn thing but the results are better with every show. I have used it for 4 shows now and I am very pleased with the footage. If you want quality video, do not skimp on the camera. You get what you pay for. Also, don't skimp on the tripod either. I have used "WalMart cheapies" before and they are ok for little cameras and those that don't really need a good tripod, that is until they are filming on a damp cool evening and all those dusty events that Summer and that dampness start to react together. You get a sticky tripod. I use a pro tripod made by Slik. Fluid head. Awesome piece to say the least. But not cheap at $180.00. I know I have people walk up to me to talk while I am filming, between runs of course, and most have learned when they are there with me that when the vehicle is backed to the sled getting hooked up, they back away some and stop talking. I never take my eyes off the screen through the whole run until I hit pause. But always be aware what is happening in front of you! Know where the vehicle is. Safety first.
Your video is only as good as you make it to be (did that make sense?) As for the occasional pop, bang, etc. I have only jumped a couple times (at least that was noticable on camera) because I have learned to be ready for anything. Have at it! Good luck filming. BE SAFE. Also, make sure you at least have a Digital format camera. Analogs in no way compare to digital. Hi Def is nice but for me to convert over to Hi Def would be very expensive after having invested what I have over the last 8 years in burning equipment. When Hi Def is in everyones house one day, I will then consider the switch but after working with this Canon, I dont have any intentions to switch over right now.

J R
Eastern Extreme Pulling
www.easternextremepulling.com
EEPPULLINGVIDEOS

Pro Pulling Magazine
Hook Magazine

Re: Video Technique Tips Needed May 22, 2009 12:54AM
Ditto, the GL2 does a very good job. I get a little grainy when zoomed at the starting line in low light but otherwise there is no comparison to basic consumer models.

JR, are you using the audio attenuator for 2WDs? I think I am getting some distoration from over driving the mic.

Zoom controls, the Variable speed zoom buttons are a must!

Re: Video Technique Tips Needed May 22, 2009 08:13AM
Yes. I have tried manual volume control but the sound at the starting line is very weak so I scratched that idea. I have found that auto sound with the attenuator on seems best. I have also purchased a "fuzzy" mic cover from Windcutter.com. I used it this past Saturday at Buck. It was windy, Heard absolutely no wind noise what so ever with it on. Also seemed to help the sound a little during the Mod 4x4 class (didnt peak so high as before). My next step before going to a aftermarket mic, I spoke with windcutter about a foam cover to go under the "fuzzy" (people are gonna start thinking bad things about this "fuzzy" thingy) cover. They wouldnt guarantee it will give me the results I am looking for but should help. I have noticed no reduction in long range and mid area sound with the "fuzzy" on now so the foam cover under it might be the ticket. I will let you know. There are other adjustments you can make as far as the grainy appearance when you have the gain set forward some. Check the book out that came with it. I have yet to get into a real "dark" situation yet with the camera but this weekend might be the first at Elkins.

J R
Eastern Extreme Pulling
www.easternextremepulling.com
EEPPULLINGVIDEOS

Pro Pulling Magazine
Hook Magazine

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,776, Posts: 229,946, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,032.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009