IH TA shift problems February 05, 2016 01:51PM
We just installed a new TA and it won't shift. TA pressure is 300 and the lube pressure is 20. We took the mcv apart and checked for stuck valves or blown gaskets. Everything looks good. I've put TA's in before and never had issues. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: IH TA shift problems February 05, 2016 03:21PM
Electric shift or factory lever operated?

Re: IH TA shift problems February 05, 2016 03:35PM
Factory lever

Re: IH TA shift problems February 06, 2016 12:20AM
Does ta pressure change any when you shift it? Are you checking pressure in both high and low? Any possibility the non ta mcv gasket was used? Double check that the dump valve isn't hung open also. Gonzo and Ben also mentioned some good questions as well, if this is a pulling ta you very well could have the exact same constant mesh sets, therefore no change in speed.

Re: IH TA shift problems February 05, 2016 03:36PM
Are you sure that the quill seated all the discs?

Re: IH TA shift problems February 05, 2016 04:15PM
What constant mesh gears do you have in it? I've heard of a guy putting in a new 15xx large shaft TA in a 9/1066 and used the low (25/47) constant mesh that came with it forgetting he had his stock high side (26/47) constant mesh in there also. Turned out his TA shifted fine, the gear split was too close to notice it shifting. Something to think about also.

Re: IH TA shift problems February 06, 2016 04:45AM
bc35
What constant mesh gears do you have in it? I've heard of a guy putting in a new 15xx large shaft TA in a 9/1066 and used the low (25/47) constant mesh that came with it forgetting he had his stock high side (26/47) constant mesh in there also. Turned out his TA shifted fine, the gear split was too close to notice it shifting. Something to think about also.

VERY GOOD POINT, In my much younger years I did that exact stunt. The difference of only one tooth will make you think that the TA is not working. You will need to install the 1566-86 constant mesh gears or better yet get the custom CM gears with the steel housing.

Re: IH TA shift problems February 07, 2016 03:13AM
I also have ta trouble 966 ta shifts fine and does not slip but when pushing lever ahead it will fall back to lo side spring is fine on leaver is there some sort of detent in the valve?

Re: IH TA shift problems February 07, 2016 04:00AM
I also have ta trouble 966 ta shifts fine and does not slip but when pushing lever ahead it will fall back to lo side spring is fine on leaver is there some sort of detent in the valve?

Are you sure that ALL the MCV valves move freely, Did you replace all the springs?

Re: IH TA shift problems February 07, 2016 12:25PM
I never replaced anything it just started doing this was just wondering what u all thought before I take the valve off or if I should be looking some were else

Re: IH TA shift problems February 07, 2016 12:41PM
Low on oil?

Re: IH TA shift problems February 07, 2016 05:34PM
Does your steering and brakes work?

Re: IH TA shift problems February 07, 2016 02:40PM
The lever itself falls back?

Re: IH TA shift problems February 09, 2016 05:55AM
No it is full on oil steering and brakes work the leaver just wants to go back to lo side feels like there is nothing there but it does shift from Hi to lo

Re: IH TA shift problems February 09, 2016 04:31PM
It's an adjustment or spring issue under the dash panel up top.

Re: IH TA shift problems February 09, 2016 11:57PM
I checked that first every thing is good up there

Re: IH TA shift problems February 10, 2016 01:58AM
That is where it over centers and what keeps it from shifting back to low.

Do you have a grab handle on that side?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,768, Posts: 229,934, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009