cast a vote February 19, 2016 12:48AM
With all the talks of polls and voting I wanted to start one of my own. Do you like the modern era pulling with the professionally built cookie cutter component chassis, running mixed color and a ton of classes that all look the same driven by the guy with the largest check book? Or am I the only one who misses the days gone by where the machines were at least for most part built by the owner and every piece was unique unto its own and the mod classes had everything from a radial engine v8s v12s my favorite was a v8 Detroit and of course turbines and the rules always the same the goal was to go 300'. I might just be getting old but pulling just isn't as fun as it used to be.

Re: cast a vote February 19, 2016 02:02AM
Dont get me wrong. I like the old days of pulling bUT I like the component chassis, except the cross breeding of sheet metal and engines. If it's green sheet metal run a green engine. If it's got yellow sheet metal put yellow engine. I'm going to vote on a mixture. Bring back the old and mix in a few classes of the new.

Re: cast a vote February 19, 2016 02:39AM
personaly I would love a 540 cu.in ag chassis,sheetmetal matches motor,diesel super AND pro class,and a non v8 mod class.but I'm too old school.its so nice to watch the euro classes on youtube,so much variety,something we lack

Re: cast a vote February 19, 2016 11:20AM
Im with you old dan, liked it better before it became big business.

Re: cast a vote February 19, 2016 11:34AM
Old school for sure when functionality was more important than looks and we pulled instead of drag raced I do enjoy the wheel speed but I enjoyed winning with a big torque motor when the sled started hard pulled hard the entire hook

Re: cast a vote February 19, 2016 01:18PM
I love the old stuff!

Re: cast a vote February 19, 2016 04:43PM
I would bet that if you had two tracks with a set of bleachers in between with the old stuff on one track and the new stuff on the other that most people would end up watching the new stuff. If they could only watch one track they would go for the fast tire speed and fast pulls rather than the slow steady old style pulls.

I always liked the ingenuity of the old stuff but I really think the speed of today's pulling makes it more spectator friendly. How many people go to an antique pull just to watch? I've done it both ways a can tell you that from the drivers seat it is way more fun on a fast sled.

S'no Farmer

Re: cast a vote February 19, 2016 11:14PM
I personality love the speed and all the safety equipment,but I don't like how today you can just buy into pulling with out understanding what it takes to get you there.

Re: cast a vote February 20, 2016 02:46AM
I'm not sure that there are a lot of people that try to buy there way to the top,yes there are a few but most of them are not successful. I will use myself as an example,we have pulled at some level since about 1975 with only a few years away to deal with those pesky children (just kidding boys).

I put together my first few tractors,pulled at the local level,when it was time to step up to the next level I didn't trust my fabrication skills so I bought a tractor that was about 15 years old. I still have that tractor and we have had great success with it but again it was time to step up the program and again I don't have the skill set to do what needed to be done,better safe that sorry I had a chassis built. We are also building our first new engine since that very first tractors crate engine.

So for the people that haven't seen us pull it looks like we just bought our way into a fancy pulling ride but in reality we have paid our dues over many years on many tracks but most of it was done at the different local levels.

So just because you haven't seem someone earning their stripes doesn't nessesarily mean that they haven't. I get so tired of hearing that pullers should build their own stuff. In the real world everyone has different skills and not many can do what needs to be done to build a successful puller. There are a lot of things that I can do better than weld,yes I can weld but not good enough to trust my welds with 8000 HP.

S'no Farmer

Re: cast a vote February 20, 2016 08:18AM
I don't think this topic is about 2,3,4 engine mods that really hasent changed much.Its about diesel tractors and 5500. dollar 3x3 turbos or 10000. dollar billet cranks or if you pay me enough I can built you a tractor that can win.I guess it just is what it is.Like the topic states,money talks.

Re: cast a vote February 20, 2016 12:27PM
I like both. I got into pulling because of guys in our area that built their own. I'll never forget the story of George Kuback when he had his 5020 at a local machine shop that built barn cleaners. They were trying different things to beef up the clutch etc. When they got it working George decided to take it for a test ride down US Rt 6. An old guy came in the local Agway and said you guys will never believe me but I just had a tractor pass me on Rt. 6. Now he buys a factory bought pulling clutch off the shelf. I have had a lot of fun watching guys like Chris Hoyt go from wobbly front ended beefed up farm tractor to a top notch component tractor and it's taken them several generations to get there.
I do think all the different classes that are so much alike that a non seasoned fan has no idea what is going on. That has gone over the edge and makes it harder to draw true pulling fans. Most classes since the Super Farm class were supposed to be lower budget classes but have also turned into a cash cow. A good example here in the East is the Pro-farm class. The first year that class pulled I could have pulled with it providing I had the safety equipment on our 4320. Yes I would have been under cubed and not gotten near the 300' line but wouldn't have looked completely out of the class. Just a few years later that all has changed and if you want to be up front you need what used to be a Mod Turbo tractor. The mod turbo class runs like the old pro-stocks used to etc. Just my 2 cents. If you have the dough go for the top of the show. Sorry for the long post.

rn 2 February 20, 2016 03:51PM
If you want the drivers to have a signifigant part of the build, look no farther than the region 2 super stock class. these guys have all built their own tractors

Re: cast a vote February 20, 2016 03:48PM
Personally I miss having 2 sheet metal classes, prostock and super stock. When the pros jumped up and tried to run with the supers, and most everyone competed in a couple weight classes per show. Just my 2 cents.

Re: cast a vote February 21, 2016 04:37PM
We r paddling same boat as Sno FARMER

Re: cast a vote February 22, 2016 06:22AM
I miss the good ole days. I remember one thing that I always thought was cool is they used to run a combo class. I think it was something like 14500lb mods vs super stock vs field stock vs anything it was a lot of fun. Of course that was usually about 4am!!!! LOL

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,748, Posts: 229,892, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,087, Posts: 225,995.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM