how far should front end be nosed down March 01, 2016 10:41PM
How far should the front end of a pulling tractor be nosed down
Should it be level
Should it be a inch or 2
What's everyone thought s

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 02, 2016 01:00AM
Depends on the rules for the class you are building for. I believe most say the nose of the crank is supposed to be no more than 4 in lower than axle centerline

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 02, 2016 03:14AM
Never heard that one beforeBeer

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 02, 2016 03:42AM
It's in the PPL rule book

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 02, 2016 04:28AM
concerns component tractors and drop boxes more, as I recall.

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 02, 2016 08:04AM
Drop it as low as you want to gain the mechanical advantage, but remember that you still need to load it! Can be difficult depending on front weight bracket design....!

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 03, 2016 02:50AM
Neil, can you explain this mechanical advantage?

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 03, 2016 03:10AM
Short answer, the higher the front end comes up, the closer your weights will be to the center of the rear axle. With the front end hanging perfectly in the air, and the rails are parallel to the track, the most force possible would be applied on the rear axle. That force would be directed through the tires to the ground.

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 03, 2016 05:30AM
Do you realize how small that movement is? If the Center of Gravity of the weights was 12" below the axle centerline & all of the weight was 13' forward of the axle, the front end coming up 12" would move the weight less than 1/2 inch forward.

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 03, 2016 07:41AM
Sounds like a very small amount. Thanks for the lesson.

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 02, 2016 11:03AM
2 degrees

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 03, 2016 08:37AM
Question Deere Puller, this is the stuff that intrigues me in pulling in any more, does your calculation include the force/weight being exacted upon the rear axle tractor by the sled through the chain?

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 03, 2016 09:09AM
Bryan- revisit the air ride seminar that was on the forum a month or two ago. He explains more about how the drawbar effects forces there.
Undoubtably there has to be downward force on the drawbar by design. Looking at my tractors with modern style hitches, all of the drawbars are integrated into the chassis completely behind the centerline of the rear axel. In these cases, does my drawbar no longer help to hold the front end down? I assume it must a little bit because both the drawbar attachment point and the front end would be on the same plane theoretically speaking if you drew a line from the hook through the center of the rear axle (fulcrum).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2016 09:24AM by neilsroom.

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 03, 2016 02:06PM
Bryan,
Since the question was about running the frame downhill to lower the front weights I simply looked at how much the weights moved as they swung thru an arc about the rear axle.

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 04, 2016 12:22AM
It's 3 degrees outside lol
It seems when a tractor is nosed down to much
As soon as you start to pull the front end comes up and when you look down the hood it's level or in pictures it's mostly level but if it's down six inches to start with and draw bar was measured like that then you loose draw bar height when front comes up
I have built them both ways
But I do know if it's down a lot you seem to use the brakes more stering
Seems like most pro stocks these days sit level or close to it
So it mite be 3 degrees outside but I think 3 degrees mite be the answer
We are building a new frame so all the information I can get sure helps

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 04, 2016 12:39AM
Picture a long handle pitch fork [as your drawbar] while scooping manure the farther you have your hands apart the more leverage or torque you'll have, once you get it over center you'll lose drawbar height, like the other post says keep your rails parallel to the track, for your center of gravity.

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 05, 2016 11:07AM
why will the drawbar hook point move lower more if the front is lower to start with,than a level sitting tractor,same fulcrum points.???????????? I believe the more weight kept below the rear axle centerline the better,,engineers ????????????

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 05, 2016 02:51PM
The only advantage I can think of to a lower center of gravity is it might be less likely to "dog walk" or more likely to recover if it started.

Re: how far should front end be nosed down March 07, 2016 12:44PM
Would you also have to change drawbar angle

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,762, Posts: 229,923, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,094, Posts: 226,019.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM