Mackville cutting corners? May 25, 2009 11:49AM
I was told the promoters are cheaping up the show running somr more inexpensive truck classes and others with Badger State SFs and Pro Stocks. So if they are spending only half as much or less is the gate going to be less also?

No, just trying to put together a complete show, little bit of eveyrthing May 25, 2009 01:22PM
Mark, thanks for the post.
Mackville has the following classes:
-BSTP Badger State Super Farm arguably the best Super Farms in the Country.
-BSTP Badger State Pro Stock-if everyone is running should be an awesome class this year, if all the tractors come out that say they are coming out it will rock
-BSTP Badger State Super Stock Trucks-great class of trucks
-BTPA Badger Truck Pullers Super Street Diesel Trucks
-Tri County Mini Rods Blown Class-great class of minis and fun to watch
-PI Semis-this is a crowd pleasing class people have loved them in the past, and we haven't had them in a while

-We have no PPL classes this year, mainly because we can't just pick one, you have to pick 3. We would love to add the 2wd trucks, but we can't get one class, Mod's are great, but they don't all seem to be out by the time we have our pull, we had low numbers of them last year, they were great, but light on numbers.

Badger State Tractor Pullers are great and we are proud have them as a part of the Mackville Nationals. I have talked to Greg and if he has the class he wants us to go thru him, and I respect his opinion. We will talk about it over the winter and keep moving ahead.

Yes, we run the pull like a business, because it is a business to promote a pull. So please stop the talk that we are cheapening the pull, because of one class of Diesel Trucks that wasn't booked thru BSTP. We are paying the same amount thru BTPA as we would thru BSTP. We think this is going to be a great show, and think the fans will enjoy the different vehicles.

This a great show of a little bit of everything, and has plenty of horsepower, but yes it is different, change is ok, as long as it works.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2009 01:29PM by Jason Schultz.

Re: No, just trying to put together a complete show, little bit of eveyrthing May 25, 2009 01:39PM
My cousin goes to that church and involved in the pull. It was about the money period. The show will cost half what it did. No the price will not be going down to get in. It will be a good pull. Nothing special. It is a social event in that area. If they sell beer there they could have any classes they would and still do ok.

Re: No, just trying to put together a complete show, little bit of eveyrthing May 25, 2009 01:54PM
Just more of the same, started downhill when they dumped NTPA, and folks are not attending now that it is a lesser pull.
Still good competitors and all, just not near the power as when it was NTPA.
When did they quit selling beer?
When NTPA was still there, the parrish sold PLENTY of beer!! Huge crowds and plenty of money taken in.
Betting this is deleted before 9:00 am, 5-26-09 because it may hurt someones feelings.

your pulling my leg May 25, 2009 02:21PM
Your pulling my leg if your going to try to tell me Mackville is not cheapening the show.

I live in the Mackville area and travel all over to see pulls.

When Mackville was a NTPA Region 3 it was one of the premiere pulls in the state if not the midwest. Now its just a nother one of the local pulls. There was always at least one national class (Super Semis, Minis, Diesel FWDS), this year there is no nationl class. Do What you have to do for business but dont try to tell me your not cheapening the show. Don't be surprised if serious pull fans are a little bit disappointed.

Badger State Has a lot of good tractor Classes, why have the same classes both nights. I can see having Super Farm both nights but why not have Limited Super Stock, Pro farm or Hot farm one night and Pro Stock the other Night.

I'm probably dreaming but what I would really like to see is the PPL Pro Stocks.

Just My 2 cents

Re: your pulling my leg May 26, 2009 01:37AM
Not in this shouting match, but if there are no national classes, how can it be called the "Mackville Nationals" besides having been historically called that?? JW

Re: your pulling my leg May 26, 2009 02:32AM
There are a lot of pulls out there with Nationals in it without having national classes there.I think it's a name that stands out to let people know it's not a brush pull.Question I have is whats wrong with calling it that.There are alot of tractors in those classes that run PPL,NTPA.Now I can see the crowd isn't that dumb if they had this super duper nationals and there were antique classes there.

Re: your pulling my leg May 26, 2009 08:54AM
here is my opinion............fans don't have a clue as to how much money it takes to put on a pull or how much work it is. They will always complain about the price of admission but they always want the best show. As a promoter you can never please everyone, all you can do is put on the best show you can afford and try to make a little money...........but that's just my opinion

Re: your pulling my leg May 26, 2009 09:17AM
Point is, when they had NTPA there, they made money. There was no way they could lose money with the crowds they were drawing.
Then they started to get cheaper, and whineyer, and even sent whiney letters to pullers. So whiney, some of the pullers considered sending in donataions, because they were making things sound so bad.
Now it is so messed up, it'll never get back to what it was. Just be happy with a 7th or 8th graders show, eat your cheese curds and be happy.

Re: your pulling my leg May 26, 2009 09:42AM
Sounds like you got it all figured out so my suggestion would be for you to put on a top notch pull and have all of the best machines and big names there and then retire with all of the money that you made putting on this show

Re: your pulling my leg May 26, 2009 09:42AM
Mackville has always made money. Sometimes more and sometimes less. The NTPA got very expensive. The PPL national classes are very expensive. Yes people have traveled to Mackville in the past to see a big show. Most people are local and go to drink beer see friends family and the bands. It is more than a tractor pull. They could have any orginization with any classes come in and get about the same crowd. If they have something that smokes and something that makes noise people will go to this pull. Oh and BEER. It is WI. Most can't function at a function without beer. I know I live in WI.

Tell me more about the letters they sent to pullers. When was this and what did the say? Was it when the NTPA was there?

Quality Show is the goal May 26, 2009 10:28AM
The NTPA shows were never too expensive, simply low numbers, the last year we had the NTPA the # vehicles were very light. We made a decision that Badger was the way were going because for the same money you got more vehicles. We made a decision and we are sticking with it. Die Hard Fans have certain feelings, casual fans have certain feelings, we are simply trying to put on a quality show the fans will enjoy. Agree or Disagree, just come to the pull and have good time? That is your choice!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2009 10:28AM by Jason Schultz.

Re: Quality Show is the goal..and saving $$$ too May 27, 2009 02:28AM
Jason,

I respect your comment regarding the Mackville pull and its cost, but it is not correct. Before the contract was inked by Mackville I heard directly from Greg Elsing (President of BSTPA) there was a significant savings by going from an NTPA Regional hook to BSTPA. In additon to the cost savings, part of the change was due to decereasing number of vehicles in the Regional NTPA classes.

I have attended the Mackville Nationals before and after the changes and will continue to do so. I am one of the addicts to tractor pulling that probabaly puts on as many miles going to pulls without a tractor as some pullers do. That being said I think the BSTPA brings a quality tractor show and the biggest part of the show that is currently missing at Mackville is a qualty 4x4 or 2wd class that NTPA provided. In my opinion, the best choice would have been to keep this event a PPL Champions Tour event, but to add the prostocks which were not offered last year. There would have been better numbers, offered a good variety of tractors and trucks, and would not have been as big of a change as what the Mackville people were use to. I will also admit I was disappointed the first year of the change when there were some very "stock" tractors and trucks pulling which do not belong at an event that is charging approximately $15 for admission.

Good luck this season and I'll see you around this summer I am sure. BTW Good job annoucing at Prairie du Sac last weekend.

DPS

Re: Quality Show is the goal..and saving $$$ too May 27, 2009 04:16AM
The show $ going from NTPA to BSTP was the same, I am positive of that.
The stock trucks/tractors was a one year try for the local guys, we obviously haven't done it again, but sometimes you have to try. We will never make the NTPA die hards completely happy and I know that, but we will keep trying and gathering info from pullers and fans to keep putting a great show. Everyone has their own feelings, and everyone thinks they are right and that is fine. Hope to see you there, glad to hear you were at Sauk, that was a lot of fun.

Re: your pulling my leg May 26, 2009 06:17PM
It was the last 2 or 3 years the NTPA was there.
Now, keep in mind, the NTPA show had helped pay for the additions to the church, and crowd was MUCH larger, then than now, no matter what "they say" now. Jason wasn't involved at that time, so would not know. Just what current committee members SAY attendance used to be.
Due to the whiney letters, some competitors chose to quit attending, since it was very obvious their past support wasn't appreciated. Also, when Mackville started dropping classes, they wouold make some classes one hook classes on a two day event. Ignoring advice to have the same classes both nights, they would split classes and some would have to come long ways for one hook, while others got two hooks. Advice was to hook class A twice this year, and hook class B twice the following year. This would have kept competitor count up, and interest in hauling long distances would not have waned.
The Berg (Tom) family, and the Luke Von Handle families deserve much thanks for keeping NTPA at the event as long as they could.
Changes in "the committee" made it imposable for that to continue.
I'm sure the locals that only come for the beer, don't care what power level they are paying to see, but die hard tractor pull enthusiasts now just pass on Mackville, and wait for Tomah.
And some just go to Ottertail, Mn. now.

Re: your pulling my leg May 27, 2009 06:21AM
teller so Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was the last 2 or 3 years the NTPA was there.
> Now, keep in mind, the NTPA show had helped pay
> for the additions to the church, and crowd was
> MUCH larger, then than now, no matter what "they
> say" now. Jason wasn't involved at that time, so
> would not know. Just what current committee
> members SAY attendance used to be.
> Due to the whiney letters, some competitors chose
> to quit attending, since it was very obvious their
> past support wasn't appreciated. Also, when
> Mackville started dropping classes, they wouold
> make some classes one hook classes on a two day
> event. Ignoring advice to have the same classes
> both nights, they would split classes and some
> would have to come long ways for one hook, while
> others got two hooks. Advice was to hook class A
> twice this year, and hook class B twice the
> following year. This would have kept competitor
> count up, and interest in hauling long distances
> would not have waned.
> The Berg (Tom) family, and the Luke Von Handle
> families deserve much thanks for keeping NTPA at
> the event as long as they could.
> Changes in "the committee" made it imposable for
> that to continue.
> I'm sure the locals that only come for the beer,
> don't care what power level they are paying to
> see, but die hard tractor pull enthusiasts now
> just pass on Mackville, and wait for Tomah.
> And some just go to Ottertail, Mn. now.

This is twice you mentioned these so-called letters, funny though you can't seem to say what was said in them or better yet show us a copy of said letter.If you think the show has gone down hill so much, maybe you should flop out 40k or 50k then you could become a major sponser and put on whatever kind of show you like. I'm sure Jason would be glad to accept your money and work on a show that suits your taste.Until you can prove your claims or furnish some cash maybe you just deal with it and stop complaining.

Re: your pulling my leg May 27, 2009 08:44AM
Last few years when NTPA was there letters were sent to pullers and given out at the drivers meeting. These letters stated how much $$ Mackville was spending on advertising, equipment, etc. to put the pull on. Basically, the pullers thought this as a slap in the face. To the pullers what was the big deal if you are spending $50,000 annually to put a pull on ....how many hundreds of thousands of dollars in profit had the pull made for you over the years? They weren't ashamed to show off their new church facility and changes to the property.

What about all the money sitting in the pits spent on haulers and pulling vehicles to put on the show for Mackville? What about the miles driven and time taken for one hook at a weekend event? Over time, where was the thanks and gratitude? Where was the raised purse? What was with the raised ticket prices?

At that same time, one of the organizers had the guts to speak at the drivers meeting about how dare the pullers spend the money that they do on their pulling vehicles. He could be heard saying, "Back in the day we spent only a $100 on our roundy round vehicles and enjoyed it just as much as you do. You all need to be careful or you are going to kill this sport."

Enough was enough. Pullers listening to that crap were done with Mackville. The only thing that was dying was the Mackville event and pullers respect for some of the board members.

To hell with Mackville. To hell with the hypocryts that are/were on the board. Tell pullers that they are spending too much money while you wasted all that $$ on your church; thanks for nothing. Let PPL wine and dine you and promise you the world; where are they now? Did they make your show better? Are your spectators that much better off? Or, did the board decide to hell with the best interest of the event, spectators & church members and instead do what was best for each of them? What did each of you get out of it?

In the end, greed and hypocracy will get you nothing...especially in the back yard of a church. Everyone will get what they deserve. This event is dead...nothing more than a glorified brush pull. It really is sad.

NTPA, PPL, WTPA, BSTPA....it dosen't matter. Each organization has their strengths and weaknesses. Each organization brings something to the sport that the others don't. Each organization has their following and feelings run VERY strong either way. These organizations are not the cause of previous problems or the current cause to the problems with the Mackville event. The problem with the event is with the organization and the board who runs the event. This group of individuals each has their own agenda. Instead of acting as one with the best interest of the Mackville Nationals, they have chosen to let their board membership provide them a platform to voice their views. Agree or disagree with them; they have proven that they are incapable of making sound business decisions or act in a professional manner. It's too bad that they have destroyed what others have spent many years building as a event that everyone wanted to attend and be a part of; from spectator to volumteer to pulling participant.

Here's hoping that someone figures it out before all there is to do in Mackville is hit Snappers Saturday night and then attend Mass on Sunday morning. Gid rid of the board and start over.

Mackville Nationals June 19, 20 May 27, 2009 09:15AM
There is nothing wrong with Mackville. Just a bunch of hard feelings about the past. I have heard all the stories, nothing can be done about that now, move on. Please grab a board member at the pull and talk to them, they can share your ideas for next year. If you really care about Mackville, get involved, I know we are always looking for help. You just have to ask.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2009 09:19AM by Jason Schultz.

Re: Mackville Nationals June 19, 20 May 27, 2009 01:07PM
I live a long way so probably shouldn't get involved in this discussion, so I won't. ONLY one thing if you don't like how it is being done why haven't you volunteered to take the event over and show all those people who have been doing it wrong how it should be done. It never ceases to amaze me how many people that will not take the time to help have all the answers for those that are doing.

Re: Mackville Nationals June 19, 20 May 30, 2009 08:08AM
If you want good crowds get good classes simple. Glad to see i got alittle intrest in this matter.

Re: Mackville Nationals June 19, 20 May 30, 2009 09:12AM
There is a simple solution if you don't care for the Mackville pull anymore as I do. Go to Dorchester, WI on the 20th of June. The grounds may not be as fancy as the churches in Machville, but the pull is more exciting, and fun. A Lot of great classes and pullers there.

There is a lot of great pullers in Mackville, but the show is not what it use to be.

Re: Mackville Nationals June 19, 20 June 02, 2009 02:02PM
What classes are in Dorchester?

Re: Mackville Nationals June 19, 20 June 03, 2009 05:18AM
It is a WTPA Pull. There is LSS, LPRO/SFT, FWD, SSFWD, MINI.

Starts at 7:00 i think. go to www.wtpapull.com for more info.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,768, Posts: 229,935, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,026.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009