What the accidents at Harrisburg tells us about the current safety rules. March 22, 2016 10:21AM
After looking at my photos and some from the other photographer's it is clear that there where pistons flying through the air after the BB JD came apart. It also looks like the pistons went at least 15 feet if not more. So to say that ALL the safety devices worked is a bit of a stretch. While the tie-down system does keep the vast, and larger motor components from going near of any spectators, there needs to be a long hard look at better, stronger side shields.

However I believe that a much greater risk was when the Lt PS also came apart. The explosion was catastrophic to not only the motor, but also to the bell housing and all the components that support the basic chassis of the tractor. As this was a “ag type” [components not being allowed in the Lt PS class] chassis the possibility of the tractor collapsing in the middle, thus trapping the driver between the steering wheel and the seat/cage are significant. I realize that the tie bars did prevent this from happening, however as I watched them remove the tractor from the track it was very apparent that the tie bars where barely keeping the tractor from folding up in the middle. Now before anyone says that I am blaming the owners/builders of shoddy workmanship, let me make it Crystal Clear that this, and many other tractors are built with this exact same style tie bar systems which meets current safety regulations. It is also very apparent that the rule needs and must be changed, the tie bars that are currently legal are woefully under engineered to support a tractor that is dropping to the ground from a height of 3 feet with a front weight bracket loaded with a thousand pounds of weight slamming down. The only real solution is a well engineered full frame type support system. It is clearly time to look at the tie bar system and either design and mandate a more robust tie bar system or go with a full frame system.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: What the accidents at Harrisburg tells us about the current safety rules. March 22, 2016 11:01AM
Interesting way to look at it. Not just on the tie bars. I guess everyone should go to a tube front frame. What about cast center wheels? I think they should be looked at also. What would be the best way to keep the engine parts from flying out? I know there is safety side shields and cables tie downs. It just there seemed to be so many accidents this winter in the indoor pulls.Are guys pushing there equipment this hard or are they not replacing worn pieces often enough. Not sure what the answer is. Would like to see what other think.

Re: What the accidents at Harrisburg tells us about the current safety rules. March 22, 2016 01:46PM
When the jd came apart was there a cable around the engine? I didnt see one and tie bars are safe if they are built correctly!! It is not safe to build tie bars that are only on 6" centers. Wider is better. If anybody thinks they are safe built that light weight. Well it's there life they are sacrificing. I'm not here to blame anyone but if you don't know what you are doing you should not be building your own safety equipment. And I don't believe the side shields on either tractor were thick enough material.

Re: What the accidents at Harrisburg tells us about the current safety rules. March 22, 2016 07:50PM
1 word, piston tethers!

Re: What the accidents at Harrisburg tells us about the current safety rules. March 22, 2016 08:30PM
NTPA Light Pro's are required to have inner side shields. They are also required to be a certain thickness. That's in addition to the regular side shield. A lot of organizations require that, but a lot of groups don't.

He had that in place and truly believe that prevented parts from flying everywhere. In my opinion, the video shows the parts staying in the confines of the frame rails and
under the hood.

Tie bars are to keep the tractor from falling totally in half. Does the aftermath give the impression they're not doing their job? Maybe. But it kept that tractor from falling apart. I checked several rule books and I don't see rules on length of the tie bars. Most rules say: "Tie bars required from front of clutch housing to rear axle housing."

Do you extend that and stretch tie bars out longer? Require it to be bolted to the rear in a particular manner? Certain number of tie down points? I don't know. I'm not a designer or fabricator. Just some thoughts on the topic.

Re: What the accidents at Harrisburg tells us about the current safety rules. March 23, 2016 12:35AM
Since day 1 building chassis, I would not build a front frame tie bar system because of this very reason. Cast Iron will break and fairly easily put in the right conditions. I have always built complete tube chassis that go around the Trumpet housings and bolt in several locations to the rearend, bellhousing and motor block. They are built were the rearend must be disassembled to install or remove the chassis. This requires some engineering to build the rig so that clutch work can be accomplished easily but this is the only safe way of building an Ag rear Tractor. I see many Tractors out there with extremely light and sometimes even Aluminum Tie Bars. You are Gambling with your life with those setups!

BB

Re: What the accidents at Harrisburg tells us about the current safety rules. March 23, 2016 03:21AM
How many cast iron pulling tractor have a cutout on the bottom side of the cast frame. So the can adjust the clutch without splitting the tractor. That would weaken the cast strength. The safety blanket covers the hole. Old saying out of site out of mind.

Re: What the accidents at Harrisburg tells us about the current safety rules. March 23, 2016 08:53AM
I belive sitting there and watching these failures ,on the ih the light gauge aluminum fram rails flexed and broke the bellhousing and caused the hole chain reaction.I belive the same thing happened on the Jd.

Re: What the accidents at Harrisburg tells us about the current safety rules. March 23, 2016 11:25AM
That's exactly what I saw on the IH as well, flexed frame and broke the bell housing. It was a very harsh landing for the front end that started it all.

Re: What the accidents at Harrisburg tells us about the current safety rules. March 23, 2016 11:46AM
What about allowing component chassis in light pro or some of the other cast tractor classes. Some of these light pros are approaching the HP limit that the old pro stocks were at when they started building components. I think it would be a step forward. What's everybody else think

Re: What the accidents at Harrisburg tells us about the current safety rules. March 23, 2016 11:55AM
Hmmmm so what you are saying is a cast block bolted to a cast adapter plate bolted and doweled to a cast transmission bolted to a cast rear end was allowed to flex by a lightweight aluminum frame rail that terminated at the bell housing? And that caused the crank to break in the center and dislodge its insides? Or maybe the rear end broke, zinged the motor, broke the crank and it was on its way out when the front landed wrinkling the already compromised by the no cast left rigidity which was what made the light frame rails feasible in the first place maybe?

Bottom line is a full length frame would have very likely prevented any sagging issue but the damage to the engine trans and rear would have been the same.

Re: What the accidents at Harrisburg tells us about the current safety rules. March 23, 2016 01:34PM
No cast blocks in anything that turns over 3000 rpm and external walls of the block must be at least 1 inch thick oil pans no thinner than 3/8 steal or one inch allunimun and a one inch steal plate bolted with 10 1 inch grade 8 bolts covering top of engine

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,697, Posts: 229,805, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,959.

Our newest member CBeard