Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 26, 2016 06:56AM
Doug R. mentioned in the Outlaw thread that maybe it is time to allow pro stocks to run the 30 in tires the mods and super stocks run. On the one hand, guys have spent the money already, but on the other hand if it will get their power to the track better, that would be a plus.

If this were ever done, I would hope it would be announced in advance (for example, in the fall of 2016, announce that 30 inch tires would be allowed for the 2018 season. Gives guys a whole year to prepare).
What say you?

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 26, 2016 07:15AM
In my opinion this is a bad idea, it's what makes a pro stock a pro stock, if they have 30.5s they might as well be super stocks, close to the same power a single turbo being the main difference, the 24.5 tires can't always handle the power but that's what makes this a drivers class! I say let em rip! And see who can manage their power the best.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 26, 2016 07:34AM
Time for a change. Pro stocks started out about 1200 horse back in the 80's and they worked. 30's will not fix all the problems getting hooked up and you will have to still drive them out of the hole, but it will help. To much power for that small of tire anymore. I am used to pro stocks winding them up and carying the front end out of the hole and all the way down the track. Now it is burping the throttle, front ends up and down with no ground speed and a lot of ugly passes. Get more and more like that every year. This is not the 80's and 90's anymore.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 26, 2016 08:39AM
Why have a rule that makes everyone spend money to compete??? Right now a 3000hp tractor can compete with a 3500hp tractor on the right track if he plays his cards right, we shouldn't make it easier for the big hp guys to win.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 26, 2016 08:43AM
This thread just gave Bob Parks a stroke,..............hope your proud of yourselves ,......................Spinning

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 26, 2016 08:52AM
30.s would look better with all the new fat tinwork

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 26, 2016 09:23AM
600 c.i. would fix it.
or limit the size of charger.
nobody wants to tech c.i.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 26, 2016 11:02AM
That's what Outlaws did!

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 26, 2016 11:29AM
IMO If you want to run 30's you should run the class that uses them... Diesel Super Stock... Part of having a Pro Stock Class is to make your tractor work within the rules which I believe says you run a 24.5 tire.. Perhaps if we get some of the pullers that want 30's in the Pro Stock Class to move up to the diesel Super class we wouldn't see the posts about the Diesel Super class numbers being low...

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 26, 2016 03:31PM
i completely agree, roadkill

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 27, 2016 03:10AM
Keep the 24.5s. You need a way to tell the difference between prostock and super stock. From a spectator in the stands, you need visual differences. From a spectator point of view, what is the difference between SF LLPS, LPS and PS. Putting 30.5s on a PS would add to the confusion with the supers.

Harold

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 27, 2016 03:45AM
Could be just the opposite. Need 30 to tell the difference between all the other single turbo classes. Pro Stocks in a different category just like Supers and Mods. The sound of Pro Stocks is different from Supers. One time a Pro put 30's on and won the Ohio super class years ago. You could tell a big difference in the sounds but he be benifted from the extra traction of 30 inch rubber and they had nowhere near the power as now.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 27, 2016 04:14AM
While I think they could benefit from the extra traction on a hole shot , I also believe that on a good power track they wouldn't be able to turn the charger on the big end of the track, the extra traction would probably pull the rpms too low for a pro stock .

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 27, 2016 05:14AM
remember while comparing the pro class to the ss class theres also 2000lbs difference too.......

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 27, 2016 09:12AM
Maybe we need to work with sleds more in my opinion put more weight on the front of the pan to put more drawbar on the tractor out of the hole and the tractor will hook.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 28, 2016 02:51AM
We ran a three engine mod at State and RN events for years. There was a sled that we pulled down south that gave us a lot of hitch right out of the hole. All of the sleds up north we would have to come out at partial throttle to keep from blowing the tires off. On the sled down south we could open up the throttle right at the line. Now here is the problem,we would get so much ground speed in the first 50' that they couldn't stop us within 340'. Most of the time we ended up out around 380' plus.

S'no Farmer

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 27, 2016 05:04PM
The Original Michael
Doug R. mentioned in the Outlaw thread that maybe it is time to allow pro stocks to run the 30 in tires the mods and super stocks run. On the one hand, guys have spent the money already, but on the other hand if it will get their power to the track better, that would be a plus.

If this were ever done, I would hope it would be announced in advance (for example, in the fall of 2016, announce that 30 inch tires would be allowed for the 2018 season. Gives guys a whole year to prepare).
What say you?

I say if they are going to do that then can get rid of the prostock class and those tractors can then run superstock.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 28, 2016 04:36AM
Thanks for the interest in the tire size but that is just my opinion only and I didn’t know someone would start a thread on it. Lots of very good comments but in my years of running Outlaws I had to think a lot different from my days of competition. Back then my only concern was let me know when it is my time to hook and I need to get paid. My concern wasn’t how many people were in the stands. What order we ran classes to have a variety of noise and smoke, trucks and tractors. How fast we hooked them or how long the show lasted at night. Things change when I am on the other side of the fence and want my promoters to draw people and make money so we have a place to play. It’s a tough job sometimes having 350 competitors wanting one thing and 60 promoters needing something else. It’s is a give and take and a lot of rules I have convinced the members in our association to try has helped the entertainment value for our promoters. This in turn draws more fans and they open up their pocket book and can pay us more. No matter what the rule was it was to help our fans and promoters. Most of these rules helped the competitors, but normally they are the last one to realize it. Rather it was no pull-off’s and pull 350 feet as we had fans sitting at 400 feet and just didn’t want the action in front of them being the competitor waving at them as he drove off the track. Some were competition rules to keep the big spender from dominating a class and watching numbers in that class go down. This could be turbo, heads, tires, pumps, etc. in certain classes to give everyone a class to fit their budget, not only on initial cost but maintenance. All these lead to more vehicles in a class and this is what ever fan and promoter wants! After reading all these tire comments comparing Pro Stocks to Super Stocks I just have a different opinion and most of these comments most likely came from competitors. When it comes to NTPA and PPL I want them to do good and better the sport I love called truck and tractor pulling. I know the leaders of both groups and see them at fair conventions and some indoor events and consider them my friends. Yes, we will always be after some of the same events, but competition makes us all do a better job. With that said, in my opinion it is a no brainer for PPL Champions Tour to run 30.5 tires on Pro Stock Tractors. Here are some of the reasons. First of all with the rules they have in that class, spending limitations has never been an issue. Some comments compared Pro Stock Tractors to Diesel Super Stock Tractors and PPL does not even offer this class. When you look at the component rule it came about because OEM rear ends could not hold the power of Pro Stocks and Super Stocks. If you had 30.5 tires on Pro Stocks back then it would have been more rear end failures. When it failed the engine over revved and destroyed the engine and you lost that tractor rest of year. What classes has component rear ends - Pro Stock Tractors, Super Stocks and Modified Tractors. Two of the three classes run 30 inch tires. What classes do have OEM Rear-ends instead of component rear-ends – Super Farm and Limited Pro Stock and they run 24.5 inch tires. If a fan is in the pits and sees a Limited Pro Stock sitting next to a Pro Stock he may notice a 6 inch exhaust compared to a 5 inch or maybe something little about the rear-end under the sheet metal, and you can try to explain the differences but if one had bigger tires that would be the first thing they notice. And why bigger tires when they ask, because we have more horsepower. Pro Stocks should be in the premier 3000 plus horsepower classes with component rear-ends and 30 inch tires, not in the lesser classes with 24.5 tires like Super Farms and Limited Pro Stocks among others. When you look at tires now a days with very little bars it is about friction and why wouldn’t you want 20% more traction. What tears up most Pro Stocks now is not hooking up and over revving all the way down the track which makes for a longer run time. There is not a better feeling to a competitor than hooking out of the hole and carrying the front end the whole distance in a shorter time with ground speed and the knowledgeable fans can relate to this also. It is only going to get worst as technology makes more horsepower every year. In the Super Stock and Modified Tractor classes the maximum tire size is 30.5, yet you do not see any running 24.5 as they want that 20% more traction. As far as entertainment value the announcers and TV commentators will have different story lines and strategies to talk about. How some teams are running 24.5 and some are running 30.5. Multi tractor teams may run a different set on each tractor or some competitors may changes tires from an earlier hook at same event, etc. depending on track. In Outlaws when we change a rule such as tires, turbos, pump, etc. we make it optional the first year and mandatory the next year or depending on the rule leave it optional from now on. If it is something that gives the competitor an advantage then the rest will change over the next year or two but do not make them go out and spend money the first year. Anyway this is just my thoughts and does not matter to me if anyone changes the tire rule. Not going to affect Outlaws either way. Thanks, Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2016 04:38AM by Doug Roberts.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 28, 2016 09:36AM
I don't pull in any of these classes but a big fan. I would think it would be neat for pullers to give it a try at a test and tune session using both tire sizes on the same track with same sled. If you do let us know how it goes.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 28, 2016 10:53AM
I personally think that it's interesting that the lightest class in the tractor category { LSS } can run 30.5s and the heaviest tractor { PS } can only run a 24.5. I think it's time to allow the 30.5s in the PS class. There are not that many DSS in national/state/regional pulling that the PS would be confused with the Diesel Supers. I think that the evolution of the PS class dictates a larger tire. I also think that with the growth of the Light PS. Limited PS and the Super Farm class the 30.5 tires would help distinguish the high HP, component tractors from their single charger counter parts.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 28, 2016 11:14PM
When the 8500 light pro was being added a few years ago the big thing was the light weight will make it a "Drivers" class, like the real pro's are today, I don't see how making the class into a straight HP class where if you got the HP you can hook right up, go, and win, vs keeping the lesser HP tractors competitive by allowing them to hook up easier, the big hp guys will still win a lot, especially on real good tracks, (which are increasingly rare) but it keeps them honest, In my opinion this is just another dumb keyboard puller idea from people who have never went down the track in their lives,

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 28, 2016 11:43PM
As a pro stock puller I think that letting the pros run the big tires is a terrible idea ! Every time we turn around someone has a new pump or a bigger turbo and these items are not cheap !!!! The guys that have unlimited funds do need the bigger tires but as a family farmer the smaller tires help to give me a more even playing field. Doug Roberts mentions in his post about the big spenders and has done a very good job with the outlaws keeping it under control but yet wants to let them be able to put all of that horse power to the ground. I think you will see a better show with the small tires

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 29, 2016 12:34AM
Every other GN level class (except for SF) has to drive it off the line to get it to hook up, why should Pro stock be any different?? It makes it a drivers class instead of a whos got the biggest wallet class.... Forget about the optics of what it looks like to have bigger tires on it! Its not just changing tires, its changing drawbars, wheelie bars, trans gears, and some chassis won't even work. Whos gonna buy all the used franklin planetary 24.5 wheels?? O thats not a big deal, they can just be melted down to make F150 pickups!! There are still plenty of cast tractors still running state level and select national events that wont have a chance anymore because they cant get enough front end weight on as it is...forget about ever seeing 50+ prostocks at BG ever again.....

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 29, 2016 09:43AM
A DSS and PS are close to the same hp, correct? A dss at 8000# lighting up 30.5s should need a wider tire if a PS at 10k# needs wider than 24.5s, right?

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? March 31, 2016 02:14PM
So if the 24.5's are too small for the Pro Stocks and the 30.5's are too little for the DSS ( after reading the posts apparently we can't blow the tires off on the line ) why don't we go to 35.5-32's on the DSS, MODS, UNL and Open Supers and 30.5's on the smaller classes?

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 01, 2016 02:31AM
I find it interesting that folks want to change tire size on any classes. We run the Lt. Unlimited class and spend tremendous amounts of money just so we can hold down the front of our tractors. Yes we need to feather the throttle coming out of the hole but that is just part of the driving game,it's one of the things that makes some pullers better than others. I remember BV saying that the better tires were the worst thing to happen to pulling because everyone had to spend a lot of money to make their tractors work and to keep them together,the new HP tires were harder on the high HP tractors. If the Unlimited mods can make their tractors work with 12,000 HP and 30.5 I would think that the pro's could do it at 10,000 lbs and 3,000 HP. I can't speak for the pro stock pullers but I can't imagine very many of them wanting to spend the money to change tires and then having to learn how to make their tractors work with them.

I've been wondering about another aspect of a change like this. If you have a 24.5 tire that has a smaller footprint verses a 30.5 with the larger footprint wouldn't you have more psi on the smaller tire therefore forcing it into the dirt harder and making it bite harder? We used to have some hot farm tractors jump up to higher classes around here back 15 or so years ago and they would kick some butt with 20.5 tires against tractors with 30.5 tires. The only way I can see that happening it because of more psi on the smaller footprint.

I have seen some guys run 24.5 tires in the lighter single engine mod classes do very well against tractors with 30.5 tires.

Just some food for thought.

S'no Farmer

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 01, 2016 04:58AM
S'no Farmer, I think you have a very valid point on the psi to ground/tire size relation. Not may people will take that into account. Wider isn't always better.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 01, 2016 06:15AM
Personally I'm totally against any tire change in the Pro Stock class. If it's getting harder to hook them up and it's becoming more of a drivers class than just a pure HP class isn't that a good thing? Isn't driving and tractor setup an important part of the sport? Shouldn't we reward skill as well as spending?

I think Sno Farmer is 100% correct, if the Pro Stock need 30.5's at 10,000 lbs then the Unlimited Mods should probably be 6wd or running on tracks. They have four to five times the HP that Pro Stocks have.

If we're going to change tire sizes should we make changes in other classes as well? If we were going to change tire size in any class I'd argue that the Super Farm should have never been on 24.5's but rather 20.8's.

Leave the Pro Stocks on 24.5's.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 01, 2016 04:48PM
Jake Morgan
Personally I'm totally against any tire change in the Pro Stock class. If it's getting harder to hook them up and it's becoming more of a drivers class than just a pure HP class isn't that a good thing? Isn't driving and tractor setup an important part of the sport? Shouldn't we reward skill as well as spending?

I think Sno Farmer is 100% correct, if the Pro Stock need 30.5's at 10,000 lbs then the Unlimited Mods should probably be 6wd or running on tracks. They have four to five times the HP that Pro Stocks have.

If we're going to change tire sizes should we make changes in other classes as well? If we were going to change tire size in any class I'd argue that the Super Farm should have never been on 24.5's but rather 20.8's.

Leave the Pro Stocks on 24.5's.

I agree with Jake here. Leave the 24.5's on the Pro Stocks. I could say alot more, but I wont.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 04, 2016 07:42PM
Doug was right, the ppl pro's need 30.5's.. Watching them run 2/3's throttle halfway through each run "SUCKS"!!! I don't notice it as much with watching NTPA pro's, which makes me think part of it is ppl doesn't ever have a track with bite, and they may like it that way and that's fine but it isn't my kinda pulling..

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 04, 2016 02:50AM
The pro stock tire size doesn't bother me either way they would still be a good show. Many, me included, hated the look of the cages when they came out and now they look weird without.

But comparing diesel driving to V8 and alky driving is a little bit of a stretch. An unlimited mod may have much more hp but also has some ability to walk into the run. A DSS and Pro Stock guy do not have the luxury of feathering the throttle or backing off to get it hooked. That was one of the biggest issue diesel guys had in the LSS class. With the turbos the pros are trying, they need to be spooled or game over. I don't necessarily agree 30.5s make them hook better, some tracks it could be worse.

I do agree driving skills need to be rewarded in this sport.

Just some observations on the conversation.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 04, 2016 04:58AM
Good plan. Bigger tires that hook better(theoretically), that way the engines can grunt harder, make more cylinder pressure, and lift more blocks. Just what they need.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 06, 2016 09:03AM
Because with 35" tires you'd have to do like monster trucks do and remove the tires to haul them.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 04, 2016 02:52AM
This is thread has a tone from years ago. It use to be sheet metal had to match rear ends but as time went, logical minds changed this to promote the class.
Then came chassis where most thought was wrong to even think about that but logical minds stepped in to promote the class again.
Then the block rule has fell from the skies and yet put another knot on the heads of the doubters.
Now we are at the tires. Once again its time for the logical minds to step in. These are competition tractors not back in the day farm tractors.
When you watch the shows the class looks awful, all you see is slow track speed and take off like grandma and hope to catch sum traction while most of the time just spin. I understand that this will change the looks but as time goes the tractors will go back to putting on a good show. Does anyone still think the roll cages make them look like crap? Go back and look at sum old videos where they dont have cages......they dont look so good today in 2016

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 04, 2016 06:07AM
The mods and Supers have always been more of a class trying to get them to hook up and sometimes they look great and sometimes the class can look ugly with no ground speed. The pro stocks has always been about hauling butt. It use to be wind them up and side step the clutch and hang on. Great speed and if you could horse the gear you were king because at 10,000 lbs it was all about horsepower. You either did or went under the turbo and that was the mystic of the best class in pulling. Now more of the spinning, burping throttle, slower ground speed, front ends up and down and lots more of the ugly runs. Not my pro stock class anymore. Only going to get worse! At that weight need more tire on the ground to bring that class back to its glory days of hauling a$$.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 04, 2016 01:29PM
Time for change
The mods and Supers have always been more of a class trying to get them to hook up and sometimes they look great and sometimes the class can look ugly with no ground speed. The pro stocks has always been about hauling butt. It use to be wind them up and side step the clutch and hang on. Great speed and if you could horse the gear you were king because at 10,000 lbs it was all about horsepower. You either did or went under the turbo and that was the mystic of the best class in pulling. Now more of the spinning, burping throttle, slower ground speed, front ends up and down and lots more of the ugly runs. Not my pro stock class anymore. Only going to get worse! At that weight need more tire on the ground to bring that class back to its glory days of hauling a$$.

If not "hooking" is the problem then why don't you see guys backing power back to the 2500hp and killing everybody in the class? The rules don't say you have to run a 5.3"+ turbo. I think your bad wrong if you think a prostock of 5 years ago could hang with pros of today.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 04, 2016 02:17PM
Ok I am going to ask this. If a light super that has a 2 bar cage is allowed a 5% weight variance by SFI(now some will disagree with me and say that it is 10%)then why won't SFI allow a 5% weight variance on a 3 bar cage? Wouldn't adding 500 lbs. help the hooking issue? That way, no one has to spend more money on tires, all they have to do is add 500 lbs.. Flame away.

I should add that a 2 bar cage is good for 6000 lbs. but with the 5% variance, it's good for 6300 lbs. though it's not been stated in the SFI 47.2 spec.. Clear as mud ey?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2016 03:07PM by Supertiquer.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 04, 2016 02:34PM
If it's really important to the fans to see the beloved pro stocks come hard off the line, just take the intercooler away!!!! This would also keep the hp down to a more reasonable level but still put on a great show! They blurb the throttle because they can and because it works, if nobody has a cooler, problem solved!!

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 04, 2016 03:05PM
No one is going to back the horsepower down now. Give them some tires to hookem up and run again, then the class would be awesome again. Why is only Outlaws seen this coming!

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 05, 2016 03:50AM
If you want tons of hp and 30" tires, there is already a class for you. IT'S CALLED UNLIMITED SUPERSTOCK. I'm tired of people trying to change the rules in every class every year. The only rule changes that should be made are to keep the classes from running away. Pick a hp and tire size a class should be at. Adjust rules to keep them from picking up 300hp every year.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 05, 2016 07:01AM
the answer could easily be what once was 12 pro

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 05, 2016 07:18AM
I feel like we're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 05, 2016 08:26AM
patches
the answer could easily be what once was 12 pro

No. They call that hot farm now........ lol

I agree with jake. Pros still put on a damn fine show to me. Do I agree with some of it? Yes but sometimes you have your bite your tongue.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 05, 2016 08:40AM
Didn't Brian Shramek run a PS with the DSS for at least a year. I thought that he ran 30.5 on the PS ..I know they ran the PS at 8000 pounds in the class.I wonder what the differeance was in driving the PS vs the DSS.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 05, 2016 11:16AM
I think there is always a solution to a problem some just take more time and out of the box thinking. First i think you need only look to at the class not the entire pulling world. Lets face it, the pullers in this class are in this class because they are competitive and have the resources to pull in this class. So to say back down would be an insult. Its human nature to strive forward not backward unless you just have too. Go ask an old timer what they think about cell phones and computers.......most of the time they don't care for them and some will be even blunt lol. But you ask the next generation, well they cant live with out it. Pulling is no different, looking at the tires one should do whats best for the class. Look at roll cages same thing but on a broad basis. Lot of fans didn't like them but today they look correct and strange without them.
The tires will be the same for the ps class. The higher hp classes don't have 30.5 tires on for looks but rather performance. The class has reached this level and now its time to move forward. Unless the ps class wants to be limited and even back up a few years then I think this is the only option.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 05, 2016 12:33PM
That's what I say. Put the big tires on and get it on! This class had about 2500 horses when they went with components about 10 years ago or maybe longer than that. Now they have at least a third more power and need the big rubber with 20 percent more rubber on the ground. We have enough finess classes like the two or three super classes and mods that try to hook them up. We didn't need to add pro stocks to that list the last two or three years or longer. What made this class was the raw power that you hooked up at 10,000 lbs and hauled butt. The guy that could turn the biggest gear won. That is what made this the best tractor class in pulling. Limited pro stocks are starting to look better than pro stocks cause they are where big pros were 10 years ago. Locked in to the track and ground speed and with some associations letting the rules go on pumps, head and turbos they will be a better show if not now in the near future. Give me the best class in pulling back, put some rubber on them bad boys.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 06, 2016 05:35AM
Tire size is a secondary issue. The BIG elephant in the room with the PS class is cubic inches. Big cubes has given the class BIG headaches - block limitations, turbo wars, pump wars, etc. with the only response to those problems being the any block any sheet metal rule.Thumbs Down The PS class would be a big-boy class regardless of weight, tire size AND cubic inches because of the open charger, any head and manifolds rules.

Less cubes minus the any block any sheet metal rule would be an improvement - and if the class wants to keep chasing higher HP then do it with more modern technology (EFI, 4-valve heads, etc.). Less CID would allow more blocks to be utilized from more brands (new and old). The European PS class is the best example of what PS should be (with the Light Pro class being a close second).

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 06, 2016 06:40AM
Is there a chance that the 30.5s may actually hook up too good with 10000lbs on them?? With the big chargers the pros are running now, you have to be able to fun free enough to get it lit and keep it there, could be harder to keep from snuffing out on the far end? I never thought you could bring a top Light super down on the far end but last yr I saw at some places like Tomah that if that tire is hooked really good it can pull a good light multicharger tractor down, so what might happen with a heavy big single charger tractor??? That wouldnt make for a good show either!!

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 06, 2016 08:49AM
30's were run on Pro's many years ago to jump into the SS class. That's until they put a stop to the practice. If they could turn them 20-25 years ago, they can still do it.

The handwriting is on the wall. Put serious restrictions on Pro engines, or put bigger tires on then. The 30" tire would be the most economical thing to do, as if money had anything to do with it.

Doug Roberts has always been 15 steps ahead of the rest of the pack. Why is it he seems to be the only one who sees things in the future, and the rest of you keep yourself mired in yesterday?

Like has been said the light tractors and the limited tractors have created the situation where reversing the excesses of the out of control Pro class is futile. That in itself means there's only one option, and it will be in the form of tires.

Personally,,, all this driving off the line is boring. Of course that's just my opinion.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 06, 2016 06:50AM
What about a slight increase in drawbar height? Years ago, they used to put a weight on the front of the pan to help the two-wheelers get out of the hole. Raising the drawbar will provide a little more down pressure, thus increasing traction.

Flame away!

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 06, 2016 01:25PM
Or the simple thing to do would be just put a block or two on the pan of the sled and it would be he cheapest for everyone considering the sled operators already have the spots and the weights duhh people more weight on the pan will make them hook up at the starting line.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 07, 2016 03:36AM
Do not forget that at the line on the racing sleds that are used today the weight is on the rear axles of the sled and not on the pan.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 08, 2016 01:56AM
That's because if they give these tractors too much hitch at the line they get way to much ground speed in the first 100',then they can't be stopped until about 400'. I've been there done that. With my mods if they allow me to open the throttle at the line and carry the front right away we are going for a long ride.

S'no Farmer

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 08, 2016 03:36AM
So what's the difference between putting weight on the pan which will make them hook up OR changing to 30.5s which will make them hook up and carry the front end and won't be stopped within 400 feet. Looks like everyone is crying for no reason bc it can easily be controlled by the sleds and sled operators. And having weight on the pan would be the CHEAPEST for EVERYONE bc they already have the weight there to add. Sounds like a TIRE SALESMAN started this discussion so they can sell more tires lol.. I however like the prostock class where it is and there is more to pulling than just horsepower. Got to be able to drive the tractors not just ride on them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2016 07:33AM by Oliver with Cat 3208.

30.5 tires: HP vs. Driver Factor April 08, 2016 07:20AM
I completely agree. When you are in these "Point and Shoot" classes where you just point the tractor and hope it stays in bounds, people are neglecting the fact that you actually have to know how to drive the vehicle.

Re: Should pro stocks run 30 in. tires? April 09, 2016 08:37AM
Oliver with Cat 3208
Sounds like a TIRE SALESMAN started this discussion so they can sell more tires lol..

Speaking of, Mitas tires are said to be available in a few weeks..........

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,625, Posts: 229,687, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,899.

Our newest member JD_8520