N14 mechanical in pete March 28, 2016 08:04AM
have a '94 pete mechanical N14 @430hp. anyone know how to get a lil more out of these? has pt pump on back of air compresser i don't know much about these looking for some advice. thanks

Re: N14 mechanical in pete March 28, 2016 01:26PM
There's a button inside the pump to change out with a number on it. Talk to any truck shop and they should know and find one that will work.

Re: N14 mechanical in pete March 29, 2016 04:49AM
thanks guys. i got a hold of a truck shop with someone familiar with these. i was told to take the pump off and do as cumminator had said. was hoping to squeeze 500hp and not be heavy on the smoke. thanks again.

Re: N14 mechanical in pete March 29, 2016 10:33AM
You don't need to take the pump off. Just the cone on the back side of the pump. Four small bolts hold it on. Take it off (fuel will come out) and you will see a screw sticking out. Around it is a snap ring. Take the snap ring off and watch out because whats behind it is under the pressure of a small spring. Pull all that out and inside the piece you pulled out will be the button. I went from a #20 to a #12 and the truck doesn't smoke much more at all, doesn't run much hotter at all, and makes a nice little increase in power. Yours may already have a smaller than #20 button, they all seem to be different. Don't hesitate to drop 3 sizes. Below a 10 I think they make a 7 and a 5. If you want lower than five you can weld the button up and grind or machine it off smooth although it would probably smoke like a super stock at that level.

Re: N14 mechanical in pete March 29, 2016 10:36AM
I forgot to mention when you pull the cone off that screw you see sticking out controls the idle, so don't mess with it. The spring behind the snap ring may or may not have shims on it. This controls your max RPM. More shims = more rpms. It's safe to take those motors to 2500.

Re: N14 mechanical in pete March 28, 2016 02:07PM
in the center of the throttle shaft is plug. drill it out and turn out the screw with a flat screwdriver 1/4 to 1/2 turn. it will increase fuel rate

Re: N14 mechanical in pete March 28, 2016 02:40PM
The best way to turn it up is replace the button in the pump as rgd said. You can usually drop 3 button sizes from stock and still have a reliable motor that doesn't run hot. The button sizes are weird and go like 20, 17, 15, 12, 10, etc. There's a lot more numbers. My big cam 400 had a #20 button in it. The throttle shaft doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I backed mine out 5 full turns and didn't notice any change. The buttons can be bought on e-bay or if you goggle it a few other places. They're pretty easy to change out too if you have any mechanical skills at all.

Re: N14 mechanical in pete March 28, 2016 03:42PM
A couple things is a duel fuel line kit to feed the heads from front and back side, then take the tin cover off from around the throttle shaft and you will see a shaft with a jam nut, back the shaft out a little at a time to your preference. This will ONLY give you a little quicker fuel delivery when boost comes on, adjusting the aneroid. Don't open too far or you will have way too much smoke and will blow it at to low rpm. Depends on how much you want o spend, but call Pittsburg Power, you can buy a little or a lot. Darin

Re: N14 mechanical in pete March 29, 2016 05:49PM
Before you tear into your pump, in some parking lot, be sure you check out all four of those screws holding on the cone shaped cover. Originally they had one that was a tamper proof screw in one hole. Sometimes they come out easy, sometimes not so easy. Being that your truck is that old, the tamper proof screw may be long gone, then maybe not.

Raising the rpm is more fuel. They run a lot better revved up. You can just stretch the spring a tad......BUT DON'T GET CARRIED AWAY IF YOU STRETCH IT!!!!!!!

Re: N14 mechanical in pete March 30, 2016 01:13AM
You can also eliminate the air fuel ratio on the pump. But it does involve removing the pump from the truck. You will get much more response out of it, but you will have to drive it easy to keep from smoking.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,802, Posts: 230,012, Members: 3,342.
This forum: Topics: 37,107, Posts: 226,081.

Our newest member Chops