farmall H April 12, 2016 12:30PM
I am fairly new to tractor pulling. I recently bought a farmall H and would like to rebuild the tractor to pull. In my area they have three types of classes, pure stock, stock, and hot stock. Some of the pulls are MPH and others are unlimited MPH. I was looking for some recommendations as to what modifications i could actually do to rebuild the engine, fuel etc. I would like to stay somewhere just under the hot stock class. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks for your help,

Re: farmall H April 13, 2016 02:15PM
You need to take that tractor and Antique pull with it a while to get things figured out. "H" Farmall's usually pull from 3500 to 4500 pounds. When you compete against good "H's" that make 90 HP, you'll figure out where you need to spend the $$$$.

Re: farmall H April 14, 2016 10:24AM
H pulls good up to about in 4500-5000 lbs. With a 350 engine pistons and head.

Re: farmall H April 14, 2016 10:20PM
What pace and weight do you intend to pull? Pulling your stock H to "get things figured out" won't help at all if your going to do any major work on the motor.

Re: farmall H April 15, 2016 12:51AM
Understanding what mods. are required to compete in his area or club.
Any rules?

Re: farmall H April 15, 2016 01:59AM
Definitely look at the rules for the local clubs and independent pulls in your area. Looking at some of the antique pulling clubs in Pennsylvania for rules, they are all fairly similar to NATPA rules as far as what is allowed. Starting off you could do something as simple as putting in a Denny's Carb Shop overbore kit that would basically be putting in 350 sleeves and pistons inside of the engine. As for tires I would recomend checking your local club's rules in regards to size of tires allowed. Road worn tires are the safest way to go as far as overall tread unless your club allows top or full cut tires. Simple things such as adding fenders if not already on, kill switch (recomend Esco breakaway switch that for $8.00 you have a great kill switch that will not just fall off like an outlet would), wheelie bars, weight brackets, and pulling hitch. Depending on the hitch height requirements of the club you could either get a hitch from Denny's or build one that can bolt on the drawbar of the tractor or if you want you can get an aluminum adjustable height hitch for around $750 last I remember. If you want to go big as far as engine modifications I recomend buying a 350 engine and taking it to a builder, I recomend calling Gary Baker to see if he would do it. The usual boring and stroking and using an LP head and if possible putting a Baker camshaft in it. Also check for a Murphy's Motor roller rocker kit if they make one for the 350 engine. As for fuel it will depend on the amount of work done to the engine. If you do a simple overbore kit regular unleaded gas will work and possibly adding some octane booster. If there is a lot of work done with boring and stroking I highly recomend getting high octane racing fuel that is at least 100 octane. These are just some recomendations and talking with pullers in your area will be the best help for you as far as setup.

Re: farmall H April 17, 2016 08:26AM
I recomend a 350 block and a 350 lp head

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,717, Posts: 229,825, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,961.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro