wheely pads May 04, 2016 11:59PM
Why do most tractors have the wheely pads parallel with the ground? if the front comes up enough to get the pads on the ground, wouldn't only thw back tip of the pad be touching and not the hole pad?

Re: wheely pads May 05, 2016 01:43AM
Your exactly right. Iv never understood why people have them parallel to the ground. All that does is make them dig an drag rather then slide. Iv even seen some where the they are angled the way. Where the fronts higher then the backs. Another thing I don't under stand is why not make them adjustable. I know different organizations have different rules. Like the group I pull in says they have to be 10 inches off the ground. Which makes them dig going on an off the trailer so. All of ours we make so u pull a pin an slide the shoes up so they don't hang u up loading and unloading.

Re: wheely pads May 05, 2016 04:17AM
Tried the pin thing, always bent the pins, and could not get them back out when wanting to!

Re: wheely pads May 05, 2016 07:32AM
Get a heavier pin every tractor we pull has adjustable wheelie bars never bent a pin. And no u don't want them to slice into the track. So why make them parallel to the ground with the nose on the ground. When the nose comes up only the back half or sometime just a 1/4 of the pad will hit the ground. So there's less surface area making them dig more then if the shoe was flat on the ground. And we always have the front of the pads/ shoe rolled up. ( like skies).

Re: wheely pads May 05, 2016 04:24PM
Thanks tipster but if you are using your wheels bars then you're already missed your weighting. Better luck on your next pass

Re: wheely pads May 05, 2016 05:25AM
Think of the Ski's on Snowmobiles, they arc in the front so they don't dig in, same with Snow ski's. On the line a tractors skid pads may sit parallel to the ground. When the tractor rises in the front, that in turn increases the angle of them to the ground. This angle is a where there is room to play for a better hook, if you are trying to get the most from your chassis. You want them to slide and not gouge or slice like a cheese slicer. Remember, most tracks are not smooth. Ask about this on a drag racing forum, and the way they utilize the wheelie bar system. Thats a bit of free, veteran, chassis setup tip, for the month.

Re: wheely pads May 05, 2016 04:44PM
Thanks tipster but if you are using your wheels bars the you've already missed your weighting. Better luck on the next pass

Re: wheely pads May 09, 2016 02:46PM
I'm pretty sure the reason for it is because the rule book actually says that's how they have to be made to be legal.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,607, Posts: 229,661, Members: 3,324.
This forum: Topics: 37,062, Posts: 225,886.

Our newest member JD_8520