Should an 8.3L Cummins in a Ford/NH be allowed? May 09, 2016 03:19AM
If i show up to a pull with a 12Valve 8.3L Cummins bolted to a Ford 9000 transmission/rearend, with a New Holland TG210 Hood on it (it came with an 8.3L Cummins), should I be "allowed" to pull in say a "Hot Farm" class? Now before someone strokes out about an adapter plate.... A stock factory plate can be obtained....Remember, the 70 series, which had the genesis engine in it.... well after it was sold to Versatile, they took the same bellhousing and bolted an 8.3L Cummins to it.........

One's opinion of the durability, or availablity of parts of the 8.3L is not what I'm wanting to discuss and not the issue.
And for the "purists", tell me again about the IH706 rearend with a 466 truck engine was a factory option, or how the Cummins crank in a JD block is a "drop in". Or how a "recast head" from Hypermax doesn't somehow give you any advantages over the other color'd tractors.

If Olivers, White's and Mini Mo's are now allowed to use the 8.3L Cummins engines, why shouldn't Fords, Cases and Internationals? It's the same dang engine!

Re: Should an 8.3L Cummins in a Ford/NH be allowed? May 09, 2016 06:59AM
well put, I totally agree with you it should be allowed

Re: Should an 8.3L Cummins in a Ford/NH be allowed? May 09, 2016 08:27AM
I agree too.

I am a true blue guy, but if it came with it, run it!

Re: Should an 8.3L Cummins in a Ford/NH be allowed? May 09, 2016 12:32PM
You won't get any argument from us. The 8.3 Cummins came in just about every make other than a JD. As you stated IH guys have been running truck blocks in front of 706 rear ends for years. You will find the block to be stout. I highly reccomended getting the 8.9 block (1.25" roller lifters") and running the 8.3 crank (interchangeable) the bolt patterns for back plate and front cover will be the same too.

Re: Should an 8.3L Cummins in a Ford/NH be allowed? May 09, 2016 02:40PM
Bring on the blue. But the potential problem is, as he states, is its a "Hot Farm". The rules can vary and immensely, depending on what association he will pull in.
For instance, as I interpret the IPL rules, his proposed blue tractor, I believe, fits the gray area, since the "engine, transmission and rearend are" not of "the same manufacture." Different sheet metal, even cross dressed, is allowed under their rule as long as those three components are the same manufacture. I only use IPL as an example, not to pick on or ciriticize them. They have a tremendous class of Hot Farms and put on a great show.

Re: Should an 8.3L Cummins in a Ford/NH be allowed? May 12, 2016 09:43AM
love blue
Bring on the blue. But the potential problem is, as he states, is its a "Hot Farm". The rules can vary and immensely, depending on what association he will pull in.
For instance, as I interpret the IPL rules, his proposed blue tractor, I believe, fits the gray area, since the "engine, transmission and rearend are" not of "the same manufacture." Different sheet metal, even cross dressed, is allowed under their rule as long as those three components are the same manufacture. I only use IPL as an example, not to pick on or ciriticize them. They have a tremendous class of Hot Farms and put on a great show.

He literally just stated how New Holland (which used to be Ford) used the engine. Seems legit to me!

Re: Should an 8.3L Cummins in a Ford/NH be allowed? May 12, 2016 01:08PM
A CDC motor was never the standard engine in a Ford 9000 tractor. The Ford 401 engine was. I assume the Ford 456 is likely the replacement engine, not the CDC.
Again, as an example, if applying the IPL rules, then his proposal fits the grey area and probably the legit 'no'.
However, different clubs have their own rules. Gotta play by the rules that apply with organization that is sanctioning said event.
Actually, it would be nice to have standarized Hot Farm and LLSS rules, seeing as to how they are 2 very popular classes nationwide and yet without a true 'national' sanctioning body.

Re: Should an 8.3L Cummins in a Ford/NH be allowed? July 08, 2016 08:56AM
Wanted more info on this topic. I found the 70 series tractors that you are referring to with the genesis, but not finding the cross over model that would have the factory plate that you referred to. Any guidance? I take it no-one would like that combo wearing TG sheet metal since the TG's were electronic?

Re: Should an 8.3L Cummins in a Ford/NH be allowed? July 08, 2016 10:21AM
You would be looking for the Buhler versatile brand, they put the Cummins in front of the 70 series transmissions. I believe a versatile 280 would be a model to look at for the plate, also the new holland 70 series transmission was under the cat 35, 45, and 55

Re: Should an 8.3L Cummins in a Ford/NH be allowed? July 08, 2016 03:06PM
Tg tractors had p pumps on and the cummins cap system before they switched to common rail. They also used the 9.0 litre as well.

Re: Should an 8.3L Cummins in a Ford/NH be allowed? July 10, 2016 04:11PM
Kent
Wanted more info on this topic. I found the 70 series tractors that you are referring to with the genesis, but not finding the cross over model that would have the factory plate that you referred to. Any guidance? I take it no-one would like that combo wearing TG sheet metal since the TG's were electronic?

When versatile switched from 2000 series numbers, they switched to the Cummins. Shortly after they also switched away from the Funk transmission and went to a Univance.

The OP mentioned TG210 sheet metal, TG210 was a mechanical 8.3 Cummins as was the TG230. TG255 and TG285 were CAPS.

If any of these parts from any of these models would bolt up as mentioned, I have no clue, nor do I have any idea how "legal" it would be. I see no reason t9 not allow it though, the sheet metal matches the engine closer than many others.

Re: Should an 8.3L Cummins in a Ford/NH be allowed? June 09, 2016 02:54AM
Blue Tractors Matter I have a couple of Questions could you give me a call 607-760-8089 Thank You

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,721, Posts: 229,844, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,971.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro