PPL controversy and questions June 06, 2016 03:03PM
On Fonda's board, there is a thread about PPL Semis that has degenerated into a juvenile hissy-fit (mostly due to one or two people). However, the substance of the topic deserves a hearing. Here's hoping someone can give legitimate answers to legitimate questions.

Here are the facts:
On May 28 the PPL Semis hooked at a PPL Champions Tour event at Boonesboro, MD. After the class, a puller or pullers protested Richard Bonner's truck. From what I can gather, it was because tires were too wide. It seems that for 2016, PPL adopted a 10 inch tire. It appears PPL ruled in Mr. Bonner's favor.

A bit of light was shed by Lou Shanklin, who is another driver in the class. If his post is correct (and I assume it is since he is a Champions Tour puller), everyone is being given 15 points. One other point made by somebody is the tire in question is 10.5 inches wide, though I've not seen a conclusive ruling. As of the evening of June 6, there are no results for this pull posted on PPL's website nor any points shown for the class in their standings.

One final important point: Last weekend at a rained out Champions Tour hook at Franklin, KY, several precommitted PPL Semi pullers did not show up.

Here are a few questions of my own after sifting through the thread on the other board:
1) What was the official measured width of the tires as determined by PPL?
2) Does the wording of the PPL rule allow for any variance (ie- is there a plus or minus on width, or is it 10 inches and not one millimeter more)?
3) Is it correct that all pullers at the Boonesboro event were given the same number of points?
4) If yes to #3, why were all pullers given the same number of points?
5) Is it correct that the challenged vehicle was determined to be in compliance with the rule being protested?
6) If yes to #5, then why have no results been posted if the truck was ruled legal?
7) This has nothing to do with PPL, but what is NTPA's rule regarding Semi tire width (if anyone knows)?

I suspect somebody will reply that if I want to know so bad, call the PPL office. My reply would be it is up to the sanctioning body to be forthcoming with the fans, sponsors, and other pullers, especially with a national series. If this were NASCAR or NHRA, the sanctioning body would be hounded by motorsports press until the issue was at least publicly addressed. PPL is not the only organization that has had rules or decisions that are not popular (see threads over the years about Outlaws and NTPA to name a couple), but since it appears pullers are electing to skip Champions Tour hooks, it deserves to be addressed.

Anyone with additional knowledge please fill us in. This thread is not meant to disparage any specific puller(s). Just trying to get a clarification. If PPL wants to be considered the premier sanctioning body (directly taken off their website), then they can handle a few direct questions about the issue. If they want to be considered the pulling version of NASCAR or NHRA, here's an opportunity for them to prove it by publicly addressing the issue.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2016 03:07PM by The Original Michael.

Re: PPL controversy and questions June 06, 2016 05:14PM
NTPA rule is 10" wide.
No plus or minus.

Re: PPL controversy and questions June 06, 2016 05:16PM
Meant 10" maximum width.
Past my bed time.

Re: PPL controversy and questions June 06, 2016 08:15PM
Who cares Mr Shameless they are just Semis after all. but since you brought it up 10inches compared to 10.5 shouldn't be a year out of the sport. Pulling as a whole is the same here in the Midwest. Most smaller groups have protest rules but pullers are encouraged not to protest due to the risk of losing pullers/vechiles so cheaters are rewarded able to still run. Other than hitch measurement and checking weight is all tech checks with 90% of organizations. Sorry but you can get away with just about anything in this sport of ours if you can live with yourself and sleep at night. RULES ARE THERE BUT RARELY ENFORCED just my opinion.

Re: PPL controversy and questions June 06, 2016 10:25PM
I am not Mike Laribee. We just share the same first name.

Re: PPL controversy and questions June 07, 2016 12:40AM
No one has been able to explain to me why there was a change between this year and last?

I was watching vids on YouTube of a pull from I believe around 1995, the two peterbilts of Reis(sp) were running a tire with what looks like a 12" tread block, what changed that now all of a sudden 21 years later wide tires are now being brought up as an issue?

Re: PPL controversy and questions June 07, 2016 03:10PM
yes i understand we were all given the same points. at this time i dont know how many,the reason for this is sled malfunction.Our tread width is also 10in. this is new this year.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,724, Posts: 229,854, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,084, Posts: 225,979.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro