Ford 401 major power lack June 11, 2016 05:18PM
Don't know what's going on with this thing. Runing a wimer 350 cc pump 5x.18 injectors 3lm turbo and genesis head. No leak anywhere runs 10psi fuel pressure bfg powersavors 20.8 38s 3200rpn and I Ran at 31 degrees timing and falls on its face in 10000 in 6th gear... turned my timing back down to 27, was at 24 before and it ran a lot harder then. At a loss.

Re: Ford 401 major power lack June 12, 2016 01:03AM
Assuming it's a Simms pump? Is Jim OK with 10 psi? I've always ran the Shurflo bypass pumps @ 40 psi. 10 gives no room for error and are you checking it at full load, is the volume there, where are you checking it? Are you allowing some return? To me it seems silly to try to run the pressure that low. A shurflo is only about $150. As far as timing, my genesis always loved 35 degrees.
Good luck.

Re: Ford 401 major power lack June 12, 2016 05:03AM
That pressure was at engine off pump on. Checked it last night. They told me the stock lift pump would be enough. Not sure on pressure because I've been told 20psi 80psi 10psi. I hope I didn't wreck the pump...

Re: Ford 401 major power lack June 12, 2016 08:51AM
Call Art or Joey @ System Accessories. 877-917-1199. Get model 8000-643-210 set @ 35 psi. Run high quality oil in pump and change every few runs. Cheap insurance as it's only about 14 ounces I think.
Get an inexpensive ag sprayer strainer @ tank outlet to catch anything major. I use 5/8 od nylon air brake tubing to shurflo, then 1/2 od beyond on pressure. Get a filter head for a FF105 and make sure if you have stock fitting on pump inlet that you drill it out to flow better. Use a restricted return @ top of Simms to help keep fuel cooler in pump. Had no issue with this set up with pump set up to 600cc.
If any doubt about pump get it back to Jim and he'll fix you up I'm sure. Also see what he would say about the 5-18's. Maybe a 401 would like the 5-14 better???
You really have no idea until you look at the pressure gauge during your run when it's needing the volume and pressure. Also, don't forget to vent the tank well.
Are you limited to 401 cubes?

Re: Ford 401 major power lack June 12, 2016 03:24PM
Just picked up a raptor pump 45psi adjustable. Would like to make a half inch line draw straw from the top of the tank and run it like you stated. Andy Keyes is thinking 20 degrees would run better for my compression. As far as the injectors try suggested 5x.18s.

Re: Ford 401 major power lack June 13, 2016 03:21AM
Depending on what your compression ratio is, you may find that it will be hard to get any lugging ability out of it. Lower RPMS and smaller turbos like near stock or more than stock compression. The problem is using a performance cam usually requires cutting valve reliefs in the pistons. there goes your compression, and in some cases, it is probably better to not lose compression for a cam. Also, with a 350cc pump, I would think that you would want to be running at or close to max fuel. For timing, I wouldn't be afraid to try 24, 25, or 26, but do not expect any drastic differences in lugging ability from the settings. It is not the fault of your charger. The 3lm charger is more than capable of 500 HP on the right setup. Good Luck!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009