IH TA Constant Mesh Gears June 17, 2016 03:00PM
Hello everyone, I had a question and could use the experience that some of you have to offer. Does anyone know what the upper horsepower limit for the stock IH 26/47 TA high side constant mesh gears and the quill carrier is? I have a tractor that has these gears and they seem to be holding, but I don't know how much more they will take. I am putting around 650HP through them. Also, I am under the impression that the quill carrier usually only fails when the gear fails- sending teeth through it. Thanks for all input!

Re: IH TA Constant Mesh Gears June 18, 2016 12:47AM
If you are planning to increase power much more you probably should consider replacing them.

Re: IH TA Constant Mesh Gears June 18, 2016 06:36AM
Also plan on adding a countershaft support bearing. The countershaft will flex from the high side constant mesh and or running 3rd which will cause your gears to run apart which will eat the teeth and destroy the cast quill housing. If you're lucky that's all that will get wrecked, had a cast quill housing explode once, ruined the wall in there making the housing useless for anything besides a Profab or Atlasmax. I would do the countershaft support first along with the steel quill housing, then upgrade gears as money allows, I've had the best luck with Atlas gears.

Re: IH TA Constant Mesh Gears June 18, 2016 07:27AM
^^ good advice as well ^^

Re: IH TA Constant Mesh Gears June 18, 2016 02:57PM
Alright, thanks! I was just curious to hear what everyone thought. My tractor has some Atlas gears and a countershaft support already. I'd be willing to bet that the support can help keep the constant mesh gears meshed fully under a load. Thanks again!

Re: IH TA Constant Mesh Gears June 18, 2016 03:50PM
One other thing about countershaft supports, there are three kinds that I know of. Top of the line that easily works without a TA is the figure eight support from Atlas, supports off the wall and mounts where the quill housing mounts with two jam bolts for side to side. The next best IMO is bolted into the bottom of the wall, right below the quill housing with one side jam and two bottom, easily works with TA and doesn't put all the stress on the bottom of the trans case. It bolts into the lower quill housing bolt and I always drill two more holes to bolt it to the wall. The last one basically just floats on the countershaft and has one side jam and the two on the bottom. It doesn't bolt to the wall and all the stress is put to the bottom of the trans case. This is my least favorite because of that. I have seen several push the bottom two jam bolts through the bottom of the case, ruining it for anything but a Profab or Atlasmax unless you're good with welding cast or using epoxy to fill the crack. These are just my opinions on countershaft supports, once added along with a steel quill housing and good gears damn near bulletproofs your transmission up to 12-1400hp.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,768, Posts: 229,934, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM