HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 06:45AM
An item that needs to be considered for safty of the pullers I feel is the HANS device that racers are using,we as pullers are recieving severe jolts from behind when the sleds weight box tops,push downs go off as well as side to side action,I know we use the neck collars however is it enough the last thing any one wants is a death in our sport,and yes I have had my neck repaired by surgery .

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 07:25AM
It doesn't seem like a bad idea, but man are those things pricey! The cheapest HANS i could find was about $650, and the cheapest helmet was arount $400! But it is still a good idea. Just my .02

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 07:59AM
What sleds are you referring to that you are worried about neck injury from the box topping out? You can feel it but not to the extent of neck injury.

Personally I feel the Hans Device was issued in racing because of head on collisions. We aren't experiencing 1/10th (probably less) of the forces that a race car driver is experiencing during a crash.

What are the fastest passes on a track today? 30 mph? I feel safety should be a priority but isn't the Hans is a little overkill for pulling?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2009 08:01AM by AV.

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 08:53AM
Yes the HANS is a bit overkill, at least have some helmet restraints on as I've seen a couple of rollovers in the past in person and it really doesn't take much to get a neck injury when you think about it. Watch some of the videos out there of crashes and roll overs and you can get the idea on just how much your head gets moved around. I don't think that you can put a cost on safety, it's whatever your comfortable with .

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 09:25AM
AV it really does not matter what sled at times we all get a wild ride,you are still young and tough,any one that ever spent several thousands of hours in a 1086 is a candidate for neck damage just watch some video's and you will see the neck movement.I am not tring to start any thing or propose this be done all I am saying if some one else does not have to have surgery it might not be all that bad of an idea.Howecer I know in pulling each and every safty device we have today has been written with some one's blood sadly to say.

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 10:05AM
Hell you got to use a 1086, I kept getting thrown in a 1566 and told to plow until it was done. Suprised I didn't go deaf from those years. Winking

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 10:22AM
You couldn't beat a Sound Guard!

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 12:15PM
I was always put on a 730 jd. Diesel. It was slow enought that neck injury was not a issue. You going to rock valley?

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 12:57PM
Yeah going to watch. You coming up to pull or just for ice cream?

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 02:55PM
With my pit crew, pulling is also ice cream. But I don't have to buy beer! Then on sat we are heading to ellsworth

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 01:31PM
It was a toss up 66 series rode better,can't hear eighter,could have been the no cab straight pipe 856,gas burning 706,powerless 656,the ole 4sickleys,head crackin 560 d282,now when the 88 series finally came along when the red company went broke the ride was great,

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 01:48PM
I agree completely, but before I see a HANS on anyone, I want to see pads on those bars guys. They're ugly, but think of it as a SAFER barrier for your mellon!!!

CPR

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 09:36AM
If you think you need it then by all means use it. I personally don't think our class needs it. padding for roll bars would help cushion much of the sudden movement

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 01:31PM
Why does it need to be a rule, if you as a driver feel the necessity for such a device then by all means put one on. I have a problem with the collar, bought the longest one available and had to add velcro on for it to work. I understand the need for safety but I also remember the days before even a helmet and firesuit. Sometimes, " for the good of everyone" seems to overtake the individuals right to abuse theirselve if they choose.

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 01:38PM
I agree. Much like wearing seat belts in a car. It should be up to the opperator. Whatever it takes to make you comfortable in your machine. One thing we DO NOT need is more rules. Just my .02

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 01:52PM
Tell that to your sanctioning body of choice's insurance carrier.

CPR

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 01:54PM
No I disagree, seatbelts should be mandatory in a car. With insurance we all have to pool money together and with the statistical outcome apparently have to make the insurance company a profit. If seatbelts keep the premiums down for everyone because statistically it proves so, then we should have to wear them.

I shouldn't have to worry about running into someone that isn't wearing their seatbelt, and now have to pay the medical bills that could have been less or none. Mandatory seatbelts lessens that situation happening and also keeps premiums down.

At least on the pulling track you are (hopefully) on your own, the highway you are not.

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 02:08PM
so you are letting the insurance companies tell you how to live your life? that is the problem with this country, we all are worried that some idiot will sue us cause of something stupid that they did and we happened to be there at the time! should we be worried? YES! but why? I for one hate the seat belt law. are seatbelts a good thing? maybe. but why is there a law to save my life? shouldnt that be up to me? or is this not a free country! I understand your money thinking about the insurance but why should we even have to worry about such things? o thats right some high priced laywer screwed over some poor guy that didnt even see it coming!

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 02:22PM
Yes you should be made to wear a seatbelt for 2 reasons 1. It statistically is proven to save lives and lower medical bills (don't put that on someone else) 2. When you drive you can't control other people's actions.

So if something happens out of your contol and you chose not to wear a seatbelt we should have to pay for it?

I am not even talking or worrying about lawsuits, this is just about our insurance companies paying the medical bills that your premiums secured.

I am one that's against big government and things like it, but you choosing not to wear a seatbelt cost us all just as if you would choose to collect unemployment and not find a job. Think about it.

On a side note...I agree Cory we live in a very flawed system!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2009 02:30PM by AV.

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 02:36PM
ok then, there are so called statistics that say it is bad for me to eat to much red meat and if i do i could have a heart attack and cost you and all the people in my insurance company more to take care of me while im in a vegitable state! should there be a law to keep me from eating red meat? i know this is a little extreme but when and were does it all end?

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 02:47PM
I agree with Cory, if my brother had a seat belt on when a car hit the side of his s10 and rolled it over he would have not been here to tell the story. The roof was completely caved in to the top of the seat. It should be my choice because if I choose to not wear a seat belt it does not affect anyone elses safty in any way. It is a stupid law, created to do nothing but generate revenue for our wonderful government.

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 02:48PM
I know the system sucks. I hear what you are saying, I don't have to buy insurance based on your eating habits though.

Good luck this year, would be awesome to see you pull in Iowa again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2009 02:57PM by AV.

Re: HANS DEVICE June 04, 2009 12:16AM
and i get what your saying too. just have a strong feeling on that subject. as for the iowa pulling just got burnt out on all the travel and dont got the ponies to keep up out there but might be back in the next couple years

Re: HANS DEVICE June 04, 2009 12:25AM
what do you mean that you don't have to buy insurance based on some one elses eating habit??? Isn't that called health insurance on off the most abused and over price off them all.
Chucky

Re: HANS DEVICE June 04, 2009 12:44AM
Health insurance is not mandatory, it’s optional (obviously it’s a good option, but it’s not a mandatory insurance, it’s also a privilege not a right despite the current trend in society). I do agree that it's one of the most abused insurances out there!

Automobile insurance is mandatory, you can’t legally drive an uninsured automobile. So the seatbelt law affects every car on the road whether we like it or not.

Sure there are a few people who have been ejected from a car and it saved their lives, but those situations are rare, and the statistics still show that seatbelts save lives. I’m all for personal freedom and I understand what Cory and others are saying, but when your freedoms directly affect others it gets to be a be a very gray area.

As for roll cage padding and the Hans device... I think they are great options, and if people feel they need them then they should by all means use them, but I don't think we are at the level where they need to be mandated.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2009 12:46AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: HANS DEVICE June 04, 2009 02:37AM
I guess it mainly come down to the fact that people need to take responability for their own actions and desision and not try to sue someone when the action they took went wrong. I beleive Sascha stated on here once that Germany allowed no frivalious law suits. I think if we had that in this country we would be alot better off.
Thanks Chucky

Re: HANS DEVICE June 04, 2009 04:15AM
AMEN to that! Unfortunately personal responsibility and accountability is rapidly disappearing...well at least in this lifetime… we’ll all be accountable at some point. Maybe wearing an HANS device will put that off a little longerGrinning.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: HANS DEVICE June 04, 2009 12:12PM
Agreed, the HANS is probably overkill, but the rollbar padding is different. There have been cases where pullers have been knocked unconscious, however momentarily, from a rough ride without a turnover. Cheap, easy addition to the system for me.

I don't disagree with what you all are saying, we're on the same page. What I meant by my comment was that insurance carriers for sanctioning bodies are going to require this stuff if they don't already to continue on and you will not book a fair for a pull without insurance. A group here went to SFI rollcages on any tractor over 10mph ground speed. Overkill, yeah, in some classes it is, but we can't run without it.

On a personal note, we are better and smarter in motorsports today. As an announcer, I have heard from people that we "used to pull with nothing but satin coats and open-faced helmets." Maybe so, but you also pulled with 1000 hp at 12000lb., not 4500hp at 8000lb. Sleds were heavy and slow, not the modern "slingshot" style sleds. I do not want to announce to 2000 people that you're taking a ride in the ambulance with closed head injuries because you spent $10,000 on a turbo, but made your rollcage out of electrical conduit. A certain level of professionalism appiles to safety just as much as anything else.

Off the soapbox now.

Stay safe out there so I can see you at the next pull,

CPR

Re: HANS DEVICE June 04, 2009 12:30PM
I agree with everything you just stated CPR, except one thing. While i realize that this is totally out of your control, most of the "farm stock" tractors around here are running a good bit better than 10mph. I think that this is way overkill. Just my .02

Re: HANS DEVICE June 04, 2009 01:26PM
I agree we will have farm stocks on occasion and they probably won't come now because they won't add a cage for a few pulls a year. We have another class that is a "hot farm" type class that's rev limited on 18.4 tires and it's probably not necessary for them either. This is beyond our control, though we have to to kep pulling.

CPR

Re: HANS DEVICE June 04, 2009 12:27AM
I was thinking more along the lines of Betty Crocker being at fault here. Chocolate cake makes you fat, and being fat is bad for you, so we should run Betty Crocker out of business! I agree completely that if everything that is bad should be banned, where does it end? Vehicles are unsafe so we made the seat belt law. Motorcycles are unsafe so we made the helmet law. Smoking is unsafe, so we made no-smoking laws. Guns are unsafe so we make anti-gun laws. Un-safe sex is un-safe so we should ban it too? This is already out of control. Where will it end. Almost everything you do or eat or drink can be un-safe.

Re: HANS DEVICE June 03, 2009 03:48PM
I feel that the flagmen or women should were helmets and bullet proof vests during the heat of the summer to help keep potentialy flying debris from entering their body should a tractor or truck explode.
And I would hope that no promoter complains about how long it takes to put a show on because we are taking every precaution to be safe.

Re: HANS DEVICE June 04, 2009 01:48AM
If anyone is interested there is a Hutchens Device that is less then half the money of a Hans. It is made out of strapping that goes around the shoulders and chest and comes with D rings that you fasten to your helmet. You simply put it on and clip the Hutchens device to your helmet and it will greatly reduce neck trauma in hard jolts. You could wear it 500 times and not need it, but the 501 you might be glad you had it. The times you would need it would be wild one tire side to side rides,rollovers,hitch breakage, and if busted off front tires and digging the nose into the ground. Right there I have covered front, back, and side to side movement and you have to remember your body is strapped in tight and in a impact the head and neck will move and the force will stop at the shoulder area because the body is strapped in tight. This will leave the neck and upper spine to absorb all of the shock. Before tractor pulling I raced motocross for 18 years and then I have had 3 stock cars and in both of those sports neck trauma was a major concern. At this point its a grey area there has been little or no studys done on the effect of G forces in a tractor puller but I feel that if the want us to wear one I would have one on tommorow with no questions asked what so ever. People have gotten to the point about rules where if they add anymore rules they will quit in my eyes thats stupid and petty. If the rule is in place to protect you I do not see the problem with it. On the topic of rollbar padding its cheap comes many colors and could be added with little or no weight issue. If you clocked you head on your roll bar hard enough to be knocked out during rollover chances are your helmets junk and you got a concussion or you could spend 20 dollars and not have a problem. Just my .02

Re: HANS DEVICE June 04, 2009 03:19AM
It should be mandatory for mini rod's.

Re: HANS DEVICE June 04, 2009 04:15AM
Agree that mini-rods and light supers are capable of having the wildest rides. But the thing to remember about tractor pulling is that you have almost no ground speed in comparison to other motor sports (drag racing, indy car racing, stock car racing, moto cross, etc...). We are talking about 25 miles per hour average ground speed here. Some classes faster and some classes slower, but overall something like 10 times slower than many motorsports. Granted there can be jolts and bumps, but nothing compared to hitting a wall or rolling 40 times at 2 or 3 hundred miles an hour. 3 foot willie's post above is a very good post. The roll cage padding wrap idea is good, and cheap, and effective. We all want to be safe and we all want to comply with any mandated insurance company rules, but we also need to be realistic. Some people might dispute this and say "what if something catastrophic happens, like a sled box coming off the rails and up into/over a tractor". While it is true that something like that could happen, if it does, you better be looking to God to save you, not a HANS device!

Re: HANS DEVICE June 04, 2009 03:56PM
The year was 1976 at hawkeye downs in Cedar Rapids Iowa a gentleman by the name of Lester Hinson told me that his seat support had broke a weld on it at a previous pull and when he got home he was going to weld it,it was a horrable sight when it broke the off during his pull and he and the seat came forward and went under the left rear tire,the result was death,the sight of that happening is still visable in my mind,be open minded when it comes to safty,overkill is better than death,and please never think that won't happen to me,a hans or equal device does not have to be a rule for everyone,just use common sense,the sight of a horrable accident does make one a safty supporter.

Re: HANS DEVICE June 05, 2009 02:14AM
Im with 3' Willie, on this one.. as a full time firefighter and works part time at a Nascar track, For the sport of pulling if I had tractor and worried about neck injury I would go with the Huctins device.. for the price you cant beat it unless again you have the big pockets buy what ever you wish. There is also a new version of the Hutchins device out now as well.. has a piece of carbon fiber to run just below shoulder blade down you back.. Just my .02 cents worth

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,697, Posts: 229,804, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,958.

Our newest member CBeard