IH Transmission July 30, 2016 06:12AM
Putting together a transmission for my IH tractor. Has a 8 disk TA with Atlas 1 & 2 gear slot. The countershaft wont turn over without a pry bar on it. I know that i might have to cut 3rd gear down but what should the width be on the stock 3rd gear after i do cut it down?

Re: IH Transmission July 30, 2016 06:18AM
Are you sure that your rear TA-Countershaft gears are correct? There were different diameter and gear pitch for early and late tractors.

Re: IH Transmission July 30, 2016 06:34AM
All of the other gears in the transmission except 3rd are allied precision or atlas.

Re: IH Transmission July 30, 2016 02:55PM
If you can turn it with a pry bar, there can only be a couple of reasons. Incorrect diameter of gears causing pressure on the bearings, thus drag . OR a bad bearing.

Re: IH Transmission July 30, 2016 03:05PM
Gears are all correct diameter and bearings are all in good condition. Everything turns very easy by hand until the nut gets tightened (maybe 50-100 ft/lb). After that is when the countershaft starts to turn hard.

Re: IH Transmission July 30, 2016 03:48PM
You don't have it spaced correctly

Re: IH Transmission July 30, 2016 03:59PM
you mitenot have the quill gear in all the disc. that's what it sounds like to me.

Re: IH Transmission July 30, 2016 05:08PM
cts
you mite not have the quill gear in all the disc. that's what it sounds like to me.

BUT if the quill is not in all the discs, he should notice that binding when he tightened the CM gears and the TA front flange. If it drags when the Countershaft nut is snugged up, the shaft needs more shims,,,,,,,I think.

Re: IH Transmission July 31, 2016 03:08AM
I have not tightened the bearing support into place yet, i was only going to tighten it once the shaft was in a turned freely. If i shimmed the gears wouldnt that make everything on the shaft even tighter? I have been grinding off of the rear of the stock 3rd gear and it has been helping to turn easier but not alot. If I tighten the nut down to the point where the spacer turns a little but doesnt wiggle then the countershaft spins easily

Re: IH Transmission July 30, 2016 05:21PM
I assume you have the bearing support . Is it lined up and adjusted right? As another poster stated, if it turns over easy without nut snugged up , then you need to shim one of the gears. I would guess it's the one rubbing on quill housing. When you tighten nut, it is pulling the gear too far towards back of tranny. Does not take much at all. Also I would spot weld that nut or drill and roll pin it. Don't ask me how I know.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009