lisbon ohio fair,seriously????? August 02, 2016 04:53AM
went to the fair last night,never again.two tracks,track 1 was the absolute worst show ive ever seen in 40 years of pulling.track 2 was great.on track 1 was 5500 antiques at 3 mph,full pull was announced at 370,only 3-5 out of the 1st 20 hooks didn't get a full pull,the class was the only class pulled on track 1,yep 5 hrs when I left.6 other classes on track 2.why in the world would ya run anything over 200 ft with 3mph trs when theres like 30 plus hooks in the class,then have a 25 tr pulloff??.and droppimg the pan on 3mph trs,good grief...

Re: lisbon ohio fair,seriously????? August 03, 2016 01:44AM
Dropping the pan on mph classes seems to happen more than not in other places. Either the sled operator doesn't know how to set the sled properly or too darn lazy to add weight and actually led the tractor pull it instead of slamming it. There are a few left that actually know how and will set properly but those are getting few and far between.

Re: lisbon ohio fair,seriously????? August 04, 2016 02:42AM
Agreed, saw the spectacle too. And having that 3m.p.h. sled right alongside the track running the pro-farms at the same time seemed a bit risky too if one had gotten out of shape. Not sure that Mighty Mac sled is even capable of not dropping the pan. It has any time I've ever watched it. But seriously somebody needed to call a reset when it became obvious 90 % of class was going 370'. And remind someone that 300' was a full pull for a long time. Rest of pull was good though.

Re: lisbon ohio fair,seriously?????NO Drop pan sled for antiques. August 04, 2016 05:15PM
I was not at this pull mentioned in this post but I pull antiques and have for a while now, I started in the 3 mph And have moved to the 4-6-8 range, we have participated in several pulls this year that have had drop pan sleds and the 3 mph tractors pulled the same sled as us. My friends that I pull with have decided for the most part that we are gonna start asking before we even load up to go if it's going to be a drop pan sled, if it is we probably wont even go!!! Nobody that pulls antiques that I know really likes a drop pan sled. Just sayin!!!! Im sorry to the owners of the sled for what I have to say but that kind of sled is ok if you have 1200 horsepower but if you only have 40-150 horsepower then everyone get stopped within about two feet of each other and stand straight up, seen a moline loose his battery in Taylor county ky and several others stand up. Remember some of these farm stocker folks that get papaws tractor out of the barn aren't gonna know what the heck to do if they're going along and then like an anchor gets dropped on them they're going to tear up something when they freak out because they're looking at the moon!!!

Re: lisbon ohio fair,seriously?????NO Drop pan sled for antiques. August 05, 2016 03:52AM
The distances are ridiculous I agree. I have not heard anything for having tractors or trucks pulling that far and am wondering who will speak up and address this with promoters, sled operators, sanctioning bodies etc. As for the pan drop, was the sled able to adjust the speed of the pan drop? I know their are certain sleds (such as the Luedtke built sleds with the airbag operated pan drop) that cannot, or at least not have seen drop the pan at a slower speed. It definitely depends on the operator. The organization I pull with has an NASOA grade 6 sled that in one night will pull anything from stock farm tractors, NATPA Division III 5mph antiques, to Super Farms and NTPA TWD trucks. The sled operator has decades of experience and knows how to make the pull exciting for the fans and have every puller reguardless of class have a fair shake. The sled has I believe three different options as far as what speed the pan drops.

Re: lisbon ohio fair,seriously????? August 05, 2016 04:10AM
I have commented on the drop pan cleated sleds. As mentioned. They don't work well for lower horsepower classes. Having 2 sleds isn't always an option. I would prefer to see the sleds built with the cleats on a hinge setup that could be flipped out in one direction and a smooth portion flipped in from the opposite direction. Done correctly they could be changed little time. Could even be setup to be done with hydraulic cylinders since the sleds already have on board hydraulics. I originally should have mentioned that I know changing current sleds to this capability would most likely involve a lot of work since the original design didn't include this idea. Maybe just food for thought in the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2016 12:52AM by 3010JD.

Re: lisbon ohio fair,seriously????? August 08, 2016 12:58AM
Just pulled the other night with a drop pan sled. At first they tried doing it like the bigger tractor classes dropping it after the box was up. Same situation as mentioned earlier. Every one was stopped in the same spot with their front ends in the air. So they added weight and dropped the pan very early. That worked good.

liabon August 05, 2016 05:56AM
I honestly recall only a half dozen trs that blew the horn at 3 mph,it was the mighty mac sled,in this county theres a huge antique pulling club that has 2 conventional sleds,but for some reason the fairboard and the club cant get together.370 feet on trs that don't go 3mph,its no wonder theres no fans for antique pulls

Re: lisbon ohio fair,seriously????? August 05, 2016 06:56AM
You could have left when track 2 was finished.

Re: lisbon ohio fair,seriously????? August 05, 2016 03:36PM
Just want to tell the fairboard thanks for giving us a place to pull.

Re: lisbon ohio fair,seriously????? August 07, 2016 10:47AM
OK how do you get under a sled to flip the grousers around? Plus don't think you realize how much work is already into running a sled and how much stress the grousers are under. If you guys were pulling the Mighty Mac sled he drops the pan around 50 feet anyways. Most sled don't use the down pressure when running the slow stuff. But still have to have the pan up to start off because you wouldn't be able to move it.

Re: lisbon ohio fair,seriously????? August 07, 2016 12:54PM
I do know how much work is involved running a sled,i have one,and I parked it because of this kind of issues,no common sense.if the mighty mac sled cant stop a 5500 lbs 3 mph antique without dropping the pan it should be parked.the guys from mechanicstown don't drop,hold the pan up and run the box up faster,remember were talking trs at less than 3 mph.hell tri countys and bob currens mini sleds hook these trs all the time without this issue

Re: lisbon ohio fair,seriously????? August 08, 2016 03:07PM
And Bob Curren uses pan drop and down pressure with inch and half grouses on the bottom of the pan. That how a small sled can stop bigger equipment. It sounds like the pan drop wasn't the problem if tractors were going 370 feet. Really have to add a bunch of weight stop something with just the front of a pan. Plus most of the time the pan is dropped early and let's it grind it down. Pan drop is not the issue it's the use of down pressure that stops everyone in a foot. So in review the pan sounds like it was dropped for 320 feet. That's what most slow classes exactly want. Plus could have been who ever paid for the sled wanted to go that far.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,758, Posts: 229,915, Members: 3,336.
This forum: Topics: 37,093, Posts: 226,014.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM