7800 Light Pro Farm tractor selection help please August 04, 2016 04:52PM
I just started researching the Illinois Tractor Pulling Association’s “7800# Light Pro Farm” exhibition class. The rules can be found here. [www.itpapulling.com] In a nutshell – 430 cubic inch motor, diesel only, 3000 rpm limit, 2.5 smooth bore turbo, pulling at 7800#.

At this point I don’t know if there is enough interest for the ITPA to add the class in the future. I don’t know how many tractors there are currently pulling it. I understand they only have 4 appearances this season. Some say there are already enough classes, why add another.

I have not owned a puller before. I have done very limited work with a heavier Pro Farm tractor. I am not looking at this class thinking I have the “right” tractor picked out. My trying to figure out what tractors would fit best into the rules. I DO NOT want to start a war between the colors here. Tractor considerations should include all the parts needed not just the motor.

For example, it doesn’t do any good to build a great motor if other parts are not available. I like the look old Minneapolis Moline G6. The stock motor sizing is about right for the class. I don’t see any of these tractors used in this type of pulling. I suspect the heads don’t flow well. I doubt there is gearing available for the transmission. If these thoughts are valid, then this tractor isn’t a contender.

I am NOT limiting options to one color. The JD and IH tractors are well represented in the slightly larger classes. I’m sure there are good options from either, JD 4020, and IH 966 are two of them. The AC D21 fits the motor sizing but is it too heavy? There are some older Case and Allis tractors that fit. The Ford 9600 has the right size motor. All of these motors are at, or slightly below the size limit. There is also the option of “shrinking” a slightly larger motor. JD and IH 466 motors, Hercules 478, or the Minneapolis Moline 451 are a couple examples.

Faster gearing will be needed. I don’t know what is available for some of the tractors. The weight of each of the tractors needs to be considered too. 7800# total weight. The rules say at least 200# moveable weight. I’m 250#. That puts the maximum tractor wet weight at about 7300#. Less would be better.

It would be possible to build a 4 cylinder tractor to this cubic inch size. However I think the more valves a motor has the easier it is to move the air through the head. If that is the case, the 6 cylinder motors would make more power.

Any thoughts about this class, and good tractor model suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: 7800 Light Pro Farm tractor selection help please August 06, 2016 02:17PM
A-C D-21 on a good diet, with driver, have been seen in the 6000 to 6500 Super Stock class with multiple chargers. Thus, it should easily enough make your weight. Simpson Performance, Wipeout Enterprises, Mark Gettinger are ones I'm familiar with that make A-C perform.

Why spend $ on decubing. If using M-M, better find some one that knows M-M well, as there are relatively major differences in heads. Would suggest Mark Colberg. Likewise with Case. Doug McKinley at Winamac, IN has great Case experience. His "Knight Train" Limited PS is currently running well. That tractor has also been a PS and a SF.

Personally, I would use the late series JD 404 engine, put it in a 4010/4000 chassis. Easy tractor to diet. Strong motor for what you will do. Lots of good shops around the country that does JD work.

Ford, seems like Forrester's in PA is the place to go. I have been told a 401 is a weak block. Weaker than a A-C 426. Perhaps it is strong enough for the limited power a 2,5 charger will do.

Hope this helps. Continue your homework. Talk to pullers and Pulling Engine shops.

Re: 7800 Light Pro Farm tractor selection help please August 07, 2016 02:39AM
The MM G-VI would be sweet to see, but can not tell you too much about the 425 diesel. The G-VI is quite popular in antique pulling as they can have an 800 cu. in. irrigation engine transplanted in. I have seen a G-VI run well turbocharged on diesel, but it was a gas block with lp parts running on diesel and after a while the 60 pounds of boost got to the block.

Re: 7800 Light Pro Farm tractor selection help please August 07, 2016 09:29AM
I'm not partial to any brand either,my view on the different choices for this class would look like this..the ih and jd will always be competitive in any class,forever,and the aftermarket support will always be the easiest to aquire.ford is a good choice,with motors still being produced,they'll be easily accessible, lots of chassis combos for them and gearing is available also.ac aftermarket stuff is good to,ac has good chassis to,but the 34-3500 series motors are getting a little harder to come by,and the availability is getting less every year.case has good chassis,lots of engines available from the construction market,but the downfall is the heads,they're just behind,but can be doable.mf is not considered,you'de be constantly searching for a better low cube combo for the v8,or searching for 354 parts,which perkins are not the cheapest or easiest to find.mm is definitely ruled out,the heads and 4 main blocks leave much to be desired,tractor pulling has been going on for 50 yrs,and theres never been a mm diesel that can compete in a 400 series class.oliver has a good chassis,with gearing choices available,somewhat easier to work on,the herc is getting hard to find,and the head isn't the best choice either,personally I think a great tractor for this type of class is a white,use a oliver rear with white sheet metal,and a 8.3 cummins,granted you have to decube some,but theres tons of 8.3 cummins in truck wrecking yards,and their by far the most readily available,and starting to get aftermarket support

Re: 7800 Light Pro Farm tractor selection help please August 07, 2016 03:17PM
Thanks for your thoughts guys. These are the things I have been looking for. Anyone else have ideas?

Suggesterator - Thanks for the shop names for each brand. That may help if I decide this class is for me.

Aaron606 - I thought the MM blocks were the same, but I can't figure out how the LP parts get added to the mix.

Patches - Great summation. I didn't have any idea of the availability of any of these. I will do some more research on the White/Oliver option. Any suggestion on which Oliver rear end assembly? And why is that rear better than the White?

I threw the MM G6 idea out there because I saw a runner for sale locally priced pretty well. If it has a 4 main block and a weak head it's not a candidate.

They are supposed to pull this class in Pinckneyville, IL on Sat. Aug 20. That would be the 3rd of 4 scheduled hooks. I don't know if there were any tractors show up at the first 2 in Arthur IL and Altamont IL.

I understand it is hard to build a tractor for 4 events for a test showing. It's doubtful anyone had something sitting around that fit those rules.

Re: 7800 Light Pro Farm tractor selection help please August 08, 2016 02:26PM
I have a D21 w/18.4x38s and all the safety equipment and it weighs about 6800 naked. Pulled against 2 other D21s in a 7700lb classic super stock class. So I know you could get down to your target weight easy enough with orange. As for MM it's a rare bread indeed with to few main bearings which may be ok at 3000 RPM but lacks room to grow. A 706 IH with a 436 would be really tough to beat and probably the most economical to put together. I don't know a whole lot about Deere but I think I recall someone putting a 55 series head on a 404 which would be another tough option. Don't forget case had a 401 and I think it had an inline pump (not positive though) but a old school 930 could really cool. Good luck in whatever you decide

Re: 7800 Light Pro Farm tractor selection help please August 09, 2016 10:58AM
One tractor came to Arthur, and I'm not sure about Altamont.
We finally have ours together and are hoping to make an exhibition hook at the Will County Fair and Pontiac (Central States Thresherman's Reunion).

Ours is actually currently built for the IPA's 6500# Outlaw class but we will make the jump if it becomes a full-time class in ITPA.

Re: 7800 Light Pro Farm tractor selection help please August 21, 2016 06:39AM
I went to Pinckneyville IL last night. The 7800# Pro Farm class was scheduled for an exhibition class. None of them showed up. I understand it doesn't make much sense to build a tractor for a trial class. I will have to wait to see what the ITPA does with this class during the winter rules meeting.

Re: 7800 Light Pro Farm tractor selection help please August 21, 2016 11:05PM
The few tractors that have assisted in the exhibitions also run Illiana Pullers Association's "Outlaw" class. That class was booked at another venue on Saturday and one of those tractors is in the points chase in that association. ITPA hung some potential tractors in the wind in December, they told everyone there was not going to be a class or exhibitions. So, most put their projects on hold. The announcement that there was going to be exhibitions came at the end of March. As most know, preparations for planting season is under way and it is virtually impossible to get parts at that point in time.

If ITPA can give potential competitors the full off season to work on vehicles and set up another round if exhibitions for 2017, I think we will see more vehicles.

If you are interested in the class please keep an eye on the ITPA website and this message board and help show support in any possible future meetings.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009