Crazy idea, smart or idiotic? August 07, 2016 05:26AM
I have been thinking about building my own belt driven fuel supply pump. I was at Rural King today and saw a 4 Roller bearing sprayer pump that was rated for 9.2 GPM and 150 psi. My tractor is a 6030 with about 600 cc of fuel. My electric pump leaves a little to be desired. For less than $200 I could rig up this pump. I would make my own brackets and mount it under the engine and used my stock damper to turn it. Is this a good idea to build a cheap Supply pump or just stupid? TIA.

Re: Crazy idea, smart or idiotic? August 07, 2016 11:34AM
Just use a hydraulic pump with a relief valve. Use a notch belt to drive it. Surplus Center has a lot of different pumps at a good price. MACK

Re: Crazy idea, smart or idiotic? August 07, 2016 04:05PM
One like this?

[www.surpluscenter.com]

Re: Crazy idea, smart or idiotic? August 08, 2016 04:25AM
We have been using one of those Dynamic pumps for about 8 years. I'm not sure which GPM it is but has worked perfect for us.

Re: Crazy idea, smart or idiotic? August 07, 2016 11:38AM
Think about this ............... how much money and time will you have in this "home built" ? I know what a direct drive costs for an IH (900.00) but thats pump,mounting plate and complete drive .............. bolt and go with proven parts. NOT saying you cant do it yourself ............ just that there are certain things that are better off using the "right" parts to start with. Keep us posted with what you come up with ............ money and time and functionality

Re: Crazy idea, smart or idiotic? August 07, 2016 12:27PM
I'm confident I could do it under $200. If it doesn't work, I could always use the pump as a backup pump for my liquid fertilizer setup. The pumps are rated to chemicals and liquid nitrogen so I think the pump could handle diesel fuel.

Re: Crazy idea, smart or idiotic? August 07, 2016 12:46PM
It's been done before and works just fine.

Re: Crazy idea, smart or idiotic? August 07, 2016 01:01PM
Wasnt saying it "cant" work ................. Do what you like at the level you are comfortable with. I do however like the tuthill pumps because they come with internal pressure adjustment and are therefore compatible with all from "stock" on up to superstock

Re: Crazy idea, smart or idiotic? August 07, 2016 01:43PM
I see what you're saying. I'm sure that pump is more money, but seems to be the better choice by far. I really like the internal regulator. I will have to look into that. That was the advice I was looking for. Thanks.

Re: Crazy idea, smart or idiotic? August 07, 2016 02:33PM
A roller pump would be my last choice of all pumps. They are a POS even for a sprayer pump. Use a gear pump of some sort.

Re: Crazy idea, smart or idiotic? August 07, 2016 02:46PM
The junk yards are full of belt drive pumps from combines

Re: Crazy idea, smart or idiotic? August 08, 2016 02:39AM
@curious mind alot of guys that run around my area including my self took a 7720 jd combine reel hydraulic pump. Feed the pump with a #10 or 3/4 line and the pressure side is a #8 or 1/2 inch I believe. Then put a regulator before your filter (in case filter plugs it don't blow it off). Just weld the mounting plate thats on the pump to ur bracket. I have a 966 ih and I used an air conditioner bracket off a cab tractor so I already had the adjustment bolt to tighten the belt. It will give u all the pressure and flow that u will need.

Re: Crazy idea, smart or idiotic? August 08, 2016 02:41AM
And I forgot to mention I paid 140 bucks for the pump

Re: Crazy idea, smart or idiotic? August 08, 2016 06:52AM
Use a MGG series gerotor pump from surplus center.

Re: Crazy idea, smart or idiotic? August 11, 2016 10:31AM
I went with a 7720 hydraulic reel mounted underneath the motor. Sprayer regulator on the pressure line going back to the tank. I also have a regulator on the injection pump that I already had. Pressure is 45 PSI at idle and and 60 PSI at 2000 RPM.

Re: Crazy idea, smart or idiotic? August 11, 2016 12:01PM
Idk how p pumps really respond to pressure on the supply line ( due to the fact that Ive never messed with them) but I'm running 120-140 on m100. Which I'm dual feeding my pump also.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,758, Posts: 229,915, Members: 3,336.
This forum: Topics: 37,093, Posts: 226,014.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM