5.9 or 8.3 August 12, 2016 12:34AM
Call me keyboard or what have you, but i have been SLOWLY gathering parts to build an Oliver for a turbo class Limited Pro at best. I have been looking at rules and have noticed some classes are allowing a p pump but with a turbo or cube restriction. I could be wrong in my line of thought but seems to me that a 3.0 pickup is a stout engine, but the guys in the tractor classes that are trying to be rite at the cube limit and still run a 3 inch charger get snuffed out. Is there any grounds to the Idea that building a 5.9 and really cranking it letting the turbo do the work would be more benificial than running an 8.3 with at least the same air if not fuel system and having it suffocate? I do realize driveline differences in tractor vs pickup and it isnt nessicarily apples to apples just what I think I see from the side of the track.

Re: 5.9 or 8.3 August 12, 2016 12:47AM
I'm an idiot about all this but my thoughts are that the bigger cubes will spool and stay above a bigger charger. A bigger bore will also allow bigger valves in the head. If rules allowed I'd go bigger

Re: 5.9 or 8.3 August 12, 2016 05:46AM
No doubt about it a bigger engine will run a bigger turbo, but i guess my question was more of at what point is an engine too big to be trying to live off of a 3 inch turbo. One class in my area runs a 3lm spec turbo. A friend running this class had an engine built to top cube limit and ran well, but a mechanical failure forced him to put a stock rotating assembly 466 in the tractor mid season and he actually ran better. To my recollection it was a rod failure that caused by this, not that the engine was wooped. That and the fact that aftermarket 5.9 parts are more previlant than 8.3 parts makes me wonder if it would work or just waisting money

Re: 5.9 or 8.3 August 12, 2016 06:13AM
was the smaller ci engine spinning higher?

Re: 5.9 or 8.3 August 12, 2016 06:49AM
To my knowledge it was a long block he had laying around and pump turbo manifolds came off the 600ci and went to the 466.I am not directly involved in any way so i cant speak to what else went on. At that time I was more involved with running the sled for the local club, and he was telling me about the scramble of changeing engines to make it to the next pull.

Re: 5.9 or 8.3 August 12, 2016 07:16AM
I'm running a 5.9 in an oliver with a 3x3.5 charger and have no problem staying on it and spinning out on the big end. It's all about giving the motor what it needs, proper exhaust housing, camshaft, timing, fuel. Then you get to your chassis setup, weight distribution, hitch height, air pressure and tire choice. Dial one in, they can be a very successful setup.

Re: 5.9 or 8.3 August 12, 2016 07:12AM
Worse thing about an 8.3 is the availability of aftermarket parts

Re: 5.9 or 8.3 August 12, 2016 12:42PM
Thanks 12v what class are you pulling, and what is everybody else running/ how competitive? Not down playing or trying to be disrespectful just asking

Re: 5.9 or 8.3 August 12, 2016 11:16PM
We run 8500 pound, 3x3.5 turbo, water injection, unlimited rpm, 510 ci max, on 18.4-38 cut tires. We are currently leading the points. We are not the best running tractor in the class but we are a top 3 tractor every night out. We do give up torque numbers for sure to a bigger motor, but can often overcome that with a little extra rpm and wheel speed. I've had my fair share of haters that have told me we will never make a little motor competitive in a larger cube class but we have been able to do otherwise.

Re: 5.9 or 8.3 August 13, 2016 01:17AM
In my limited research i have found as cody said parts availability is an issue with the 8.3s. My financial situation isn't so condusive to becomeing the guy who solved that issue. Furthermore im extremely competitive and dont like to look like a fool. I have friends and relitives that go pulling so that they can take a ride on a tractor, thats not me. To lose because the other team(s) beat you is one thing and I can handle that but to lose because you are poorly prepared or out of your league is hard for me to swallow. So the whole premise of my poseing the initial question could be maybe a bang for your buck ponderance. And possibly what rules would be the tipping point between the two engines.

Re: 5.9 or 8.3 August 13, 2016 02:21PM
What for class rules are you considering running?

Re: 5.9 or 8.3 August 12, 2016 03:38PM
Wasted Wages just put an 8.3 in his Oliver I know he can help you if your interested in going with the bigger motor. He runs super farm with the ntpa, he just got it together this week so will see how he does with it! You can look him up on Facebook he has a page for the tractor.

Re: 5.9 or 8.3 August 14, 2016 03:30AM
Hot farm is 9500lbs 20.8 tires 3x3 turbo stock block heads manifolds 600 cubes apump w/ intercooler or p pump without. Classic super is 7700 18.4 tires 2.75 x3.25 turbo stock block heads manifolds p3000 pump and limpro is 8700 24.5 tires 540cubes recast block or heads A pump. There are some if you are this then you can run that in the hot farm. I have the tractor was a gas engine puller needs updates and i have an 8.3 out of a truck but 5.9s arent hard to come by. I just need to make a decision and start glueing stuff together.

Re: 5.9 or 8.3 August 14, 2016 03:16PM
I have always liked the idea of classic super at 7700. The smaller motor will usually do better at a lighter weight. I have had every intention of running my tractor in LLSS at 6500 if an association in my area ever picks it up.

Re: 5.9 or 8.3 August 14, 2016 11:37PM
The llss class is an awesome class the couple times i have seen it those guys come flying down the track and are fairly light weight. Couple years ago there was a big push to .ake the class more previlant in my area, but to my knowledge it didnt really happen. There is two or three tractors that i see here and there and they put on a good show for two or three tractors. Would love to build one for that class but dont know if its going to stick around. Kind of a chicken or egg deal.

Re: 5.9 or 8.3 August 15, 2016 02:08AM
Five years ago when we started with the 8.3 parts were hard to find BUT now there is just about anything you need for this engine! Performance Cyl. Head has provided parts for at least four different 8.3 engines this year.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009